MASN: Dan Duquette Talks Trade Deadline

weams

Steve Melewski does the write up.

"There are a few more sellers now than there were a couple of weeks ago and teams are looking at what they'll need to advance to the playoffs," Duquette said. "We have active discussions with a number of teams. We'll see.

"Yeah, I think you'll see some players traded. We'll take a look at what's available to help our team."

Have any of the O's trade discussions advanced to a real serious level yet?

"Not really," Duquette said.

As someone on the buyer's side, Duquette knows what the sellers will be looking for.

"You know how these deals work," he said. "You get established major leaguers for young prospects, right? That is how these deals work. So we have some decent depth and some players on each of our clubs that teams like, so that's encouraging."

Duquette will once again have to weigh trading young developing talent to get something to help the Orioles try to win in 2014.

"Young talent is going to be the lifeblood of our organization, but at the same time we want to advance the organization in the postseason, so that is kind of what you're looking at," Duquette said.

Does that mean some of the O's top prospects could be available in the right deal?

"We hope our top prospects are going to help us for a long time," Duquette would only say on that topic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is Dan's way of tempering expectations. I expect the Orioles to make a few adjustments that are moderate and hang on to our top guys. I think pitchers like Price and Sale are out of bounds due to cost. I dont expect the Orioles to want to deal Bundy or Harvey. Some of the pie in the sky deal that had players like Machado being dealt simply arent happening. I'd like to see the Orioles add a guy that can play 2nd everyday and hit leadoff, a LH hitter, and a extra LH RP. If you could get a #1 and swap a guy in the current rotation (Chen, Gonzalez, or Norris) I think that would be prudent. I dont expect the Orioles to deal Tillman or Jiminez ( the later mostly because of contract). Guasman has to be untouchable at this point.

Just my .02 :)

I guess I still dont and never will understand holding on to prospects that rarely pan out for us instead of dealing for young proven talent. What is it that a guy like Bundy, Harvey, EdRod, etc are going to do that Chris Sale isnt doing?

I think this is Dan's way of tempering expectations. I expect the Orioles to make a few adjustments that are moderate and hang on to our top guys. I think pitchers like Price and Sale are out of bounds due to cost. I dont expect the Orioles to want to deal Bundy or Harvey. Some of the pie in the sky deal that had players like Machado being dealt simply arent happening. I'd like to see the Orioles add a guy that can play 2nd everyday and hit leadoff, a LH hitter, and a extra LH RP. If you could get a #1 and swap a guy in the current rotation (Chen, Gonzalez, or Norris) I think that would be prudent. I dont expect the Orioles to deal Tillman or Jiminez ( the later mostly because of contract). Guasman has to be untouchable at this point.

Just my .02 :)

I would be shocked if Sale is traded to anyone. Shocked.

I guess I still dont and never will understand holding on to prospects that rarely pan out for us instead of dealing for young proven talent. What is it that a guy like Bundy, Harvey, EdRod, etc are going to do that Chris Sale isnt doing?

Nothing man. Nothing. Only Sale is not available for them. Gausman, Machado.

The Orioles have the best prospects that they have had in 20+ years. Bundy & Harvey are potential #1s that the Orioles will control 5-6 years. Many think that Sales is an injury waiting to happen due to his violent delivery. Im not as High on Erod and would be okay with dealing him Schoop and another lesser player or two. With that said I would prefer they trade them for an accomplished 2B more than a #1 pitcher. I'm happy with the rotation of Tillman, Gausman, Jiminez, Chen, and Gonzalez/Norris

Nothing man. Nothing. Only Sale is not available for them. Gausman, Machado.

I was just speaking based on the "idea" that Sale would be available. By no means would I deal him if I were Chicago, but since his name pops up...I threw it out there.

I guess that 4-game lead has even our most skeptical of posters finally conceding that we should be "buyers" not "sellers"?!? :D

Curious to see how Cliff Lee does during his two-start post-injury "audition" before the deadline. I don't see him coming cheap, but he shouldn't be as expensive as Sale, who is 10 years younger. And the Phils like dealing with us, don't they?

Of course Sale is a rare case of a player having a peak year while being under contract at very reasonable rates for quite a while. Meaning he'll take a king's ransom to acquire.

But speaking more generally, established players cost vastly more than a Bundy, Harvey, Gausman, Rodriguez, etc will for a long time. If you make a habit of trading your highly-regarded prospects for established players then your payroll will quickly become untenable. I think we have to assume that the Orioles are at or near their payroll ceiling, so it's difficult seeing them making (m)any trades where they're trading potential impact talent at bargain prices for established players making $10M+ a year.

Yes, prospects are risky. Risk mitigation is expensive, and even those mitigation plans aren't guaranteed.

Of course Sale is a rare case of a player having a peak year while being under contract at very reasonable rates for quite a while. Meaning he'll take a king's ransom to acquire.

But speaking more generally, established players cost vastly more than a Bundy, Harvey, Gausman, Rodriguez, etc will for a long time. If you make a habit of trading your highly-regarded prospects for established players then your payroll will quickly become untenable. I think we have to assume that the Orioles are at or near their payroll ceiling, so it's difficult seeing them making (m)any trades where they're trading potential impact talent at bargain prices for established players making $10M+ a year.

Yes, prospects are risky. Risk mitigation is expensive, and even those mitigation plans aren't guaranteed.

Which is another reason why I referenced Sale and not Price or Hamels.

Which is another reason why I referenced Sale and not Price or Hamels.

Having lost the six years of inexpensive use of the six prospects it would take to get him would do what Drungo is talking about to the franchise.

Having lost the six years of inexpensive use of the six prospects it would take to get him would do what Drungo is talking about to the franchise.

Right...but would 2-3 years of expensive use of a proven player be worthy of giving up 6 cheap years of Matusz, Arrietta and the rest of the lot that we all had high expectations for? I get the feeling this is being read into more than it was intended. I only meant that IF we could get a guy like Sale in a fair deal that included a top level "prospect" or two...then I'd have to really consider it. Obviously, if it means wiping out the cupboard, then I hang up the phone.

Archived