A.J. Burnett

Greg

Why exactly? Because Burnett is SO much better than Norris or Gonzo or ANY of our starters for that matter? I think NOT. They'd better not give up a decent player for this guy, he's not that good.

No idea. My guess is that DD seems to be going Moneyball with it and really focusing on defensive value. And maybe he feels as if the fly ball pitchers he has now aren't maximizing that approach enough? And someone like Burnett, with this defense, would result in an exponential improvement based purely on the defense around him? I mean, when you have Miguel out there giving up over 60% fly balls, you are kind of cheating yourself in terms of what is your team strength.

That was one of the main reasons I wanted McCarthy and his 55% GB rate in Baltimore, so it could just be me imposing my reasoning onto DD.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why exactly? Because Burnett is SO much better than Norris or Gonzo or ANY of our starters for that matter? I think NOT. They'd better not give up a decent player for this guy, he's not that good.

Agreed. Don't see him as much of an upgrade when considering what it will cost for a few months of him. Additionally, Gonzo, Norris, and Chen are 30, 29, and 28 respectively. While I don't see a long-term future with all three of them at the back-end of the rotation I could see at least one and perhaps two of them continuing to be a member of the rotation in the next 3-5 years. You don't know what you're going to get out of Burnett and he sure isn't going to be a member of this rotation for many years.

I don't even want them to give up Matusz for him, and Brian hasn't been Brian this year. It better be some low A prospects if at all.

I do think if we get Burnett AND Papelbon that the acquisition cost would be mostly money.

Sorry if this has been posted before but OMG... Jim Bowden is a moron. He laid out trades that the Phillies should make, this was one of them.

Right-hander A.J. Burnett and Papelbon to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for right-handed pitcher Hunter Harvey, left-handed pitcher Tim Berry and right-handed hurler Parker Bridwell.

Sorry if this has been posted before but OMG... Jim Bowden is a moron. He laid out trades that the Phillies should make, this was one of them.

Right-hander A.J. Burnett and Papelbon to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for right-handed pitcher Hunter Harvey, left-handed pitcher Tim Berry and right-handed hurler Parker Bridwell.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

He probably has a fear that he may get another front office job, and is trying to remove all doubt.

Harvey?

Phillies would have to eat pretty much all of both of the contracts for that to make even the slightest bit of sense.

I think the Padres-Angels trade may have been the first time Bowden has ever gotten anything right.

Harvey?

Phillies would have to eat pretty much all of both of the contracts for that to make even the slightest bit of sense.

Why wouldn't they In effect they are buying prospects. This scares me. Between DuqXM saying they were looking for a SP and a bullpen arm, Weems signifying and Bowden's drivel, it just may be happening. Not a good idea. I'm sure this deal would not be a Buck friendly one. What a pair of warm fuzzies for his clubhouse.

Archived