A.J. Burnett

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Phillies and Orioles have had very preliminary talks on a trade that would send A.J. Burnett to Baltimore, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXSports1">@FOXSports1</a>.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">July 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No substantial progress made yet in the Orioles-Phillies talks on Burnett, but there has been initial dialogue, sources say.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's made clear on multiple occasions that he isn't particularly interested in signing a contract with the Orioles. Solution? Force him to come here via trade.

Pass.

I think I'm with you on this. I wonder what it would cost us for 2 months of A.J.

Burnett, who is making $7.5MM this year with a $7.5MM signing bonus, has a complex player/mutual option that guarantees him at least $7.5MM in 2015 if he wants to pitch (a guarantee that will increase as Burnett makes starts down the stretch). Burnett also has limited no-trade protection. Although Burnett has said he wants to remain with the Phillies, his no-trade clause likely does not include Baltimore, since Burnett’s family resides in Maryland. The Orioles were rumored to be interested in Burnett last offseason.

Burnett, 37, has posted a 4.08 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 this season for the

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/phillies-orioles-have-discussed-a-j-burnett-trade.html

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Phillies and Orioles have had very preliminary talks on a trade that would send A.J. Burnett to Baltimore, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXSports1">@FOXSports1</a>.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No substantial progress made yet in the Orioles-Phillies talks on Burnett, but there has been initial dialogue, sources say.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

On no not him.

Maybe not.

If he a significant enough improvement to warrant moving Chen or Gonzo to the 'pen? If a pitcher with a ~4.00 ERA coming out of the NL East would justify moving one of them, why hasn't one of them been moved already to give Gausman something other than an irregular rotation spot? Or are the O's considering sending one of Gonzo/Chen to Philly? Would that make sense for the O's? (I don't think so)

I really don't see the upside. No interest in Burnett.

Archived