vs. MARINERS, 7/24

OFFNY

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no faith in Chen tonight hope he shuts me up.

He could give up 1 run over 8 innings but it won't shut you up. You'll find something about the team to complain about, guaranteed.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You think we are signing Burnes?
    • Oh, I thought he was talking about the rotation right now.
    • No. Better yet ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!  We do we need to take on anything associated with him or take on that kind of pr hit and risk? I hope he gets a shot at redemption … somewhere else. Why can’t we just acquire/trade for a current MLB pitcher who is already good and doesn’t come with baggage? Is that too much to ask?
    • My big issue with him besides the zero defensive value is he's batting .227 and has only 5 doubles which tells me he's probably a mistake hitter. That's a big red flag for me as well when I look at stats, especially lower level guys. Guys with decent home run numbers and low 2B numbers typically are guys who feast on those middle-middle pitches, but are not making consistent hard contact to get those 2B numbers up. Now I'm going off memory here and haven't really watched him a ton this year running, but he's pretty dang slow from what I remember. So now we have a short, slow, 1B/DH who has some ability to make decent swing decisions on Low-A hitters, but hits for a low average and doesn't show a lot of extra base power. So is he a guy that you perhaps follow to see if he's a guy that develops more game power and allows his bat to carry him up the chain? Perhaps. But I just don't know what he would be in the majors besides a right-handed DH if he develops more power. How many are those are now in the game? I mean, perhaps his absolute upside is a Yermín Mercedes type, but I imagine if he is a late bloomer guy who suddenly starts to rake at the upper levels, it will probably be for his 2nd or 3rd organization as those guys typically bounce around.
    • Thanks for sharing all of the formula / data prospect trackers, I don’t have the patience to follow them on Twitter so I appreciate the updates here. I do put value in that when projecting offense and they do have data that we don’t have.  RZNJ and Tony have a good point that the robo scout types are generally not going to consider defense (at least not fully), and as everyone knows that’s a massive difference in value for C v. 1B/DH. So for Mordan I’d only really put weight on the robo scout if it said he was a good prospect even as solely a 1B, and I’m guessing he’s not.  I am curious to track development of C like Willems and Mordan because I think any C in the system behind Basallo are prime trade chips. If Mordan has good offensive data but bad defense, seems like a nice guy to try to sell another team on at the trade deadline. 
    • I am curious to see what happens with the Astros and Verlander.  Looks like they may be heating up making it irrelevant but if they end up being a seller and he shows he is healthy before the deadline I think Verlander is the guy Elias targets.  I think with our new ownership and low payroll no reason we cannot take on the remainder of that contract and he could be the perfect replacement for Bradish. 
  • Popular Contributors