Machado injury (Sprained Knee Ligament- 15 Day DL)

nevadaO

As careful as this team is with physicals I doubt they would have missed a chronic condition that would cause these injuries. That's not to say he won't be injury prone throughout his career, who knows about that, but I don't think it's anything that could have been foreseen.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As careful as this team is with physicals I doubt they would have missed a chronic condition that would cause these injuries. That's not to say he won't be injury prone throughout his career, who knows about that, but I don't think it's anything that could have been foreseen.

you are right about one thing in your statement and wrong in another... number one, it wouldn't have been foreseen prior the the outbreak of injuries. Many exist with the condition and can go uninjured based on either genetic strength of the supporting tendons and ligaments, or probability of injury based on frequency of placing the knee at risk and in a professional athlete this goes significantly higher based on volume of play.... and two, the condition is not chronic... the frequency of injury is...

It could/should have been foreseen

I remember pulling up some youtube videos of Manny in high school and immediately thinking... man he runs funny. His knocked knees are very pronounced.

Perhaps the O's believed that Manny was worth the risk, but I'd like to think that someone brought up his increased risk of injury due to this condition.

Maybe he'll figure out a way to have a productive career, but one thing is for sure no one is going to be talking extension for a few years.

I mean he blew up his knee stepping on first base

He wrenched his knee on an ackward swing

In the minors he dislocated his knee changing direction on the base paths.

It's sad to think that we'll never know how good he could have been

well of course, that is what those who want to avoid the issue like "the big white elephant in the back of the room" want to argue about my observation. But it doesn't take that much to recognize the condition, anymore than it is to see the difference between a right handed player and a left handed player. It is too easy to observe, unless you want to argue that a leftie is really a rightie..

The people who want to provide the "flak" are wishful thinkers on this matter. And that is the issue I would like people to become aware of when they project what happens next. The leg alignment issue is real and it sits in front of the probabilities of continuing injury, especially with a career that is intended to last at the professional level for many years. Frankly, you could walk up to any doctor who attends the games, like I do, and you can ask the question. If they were honest about what the see, they will tell you exactly what I have.

Obviously the guy has had three injuries in the same place before the age of 25. We are all concerned about it. We are all aware of the facts. The only thing you could add is medical expertise or privileged information, neither of which you have. If you think you are going to get a pat on the back for being the only one to raise the "elephant in the room," you are sorely mistaken.

I remember pulling up some youtube videos of Manny in high school and immediately thinking... man he runs funny. His knocked knees are very pronounced.

Perhaps the O's believed that Manny was worth the risk, but I'd like to think that someone brought up his increased risk of injury due to this condition.

Maybe he'll figure out a way to have a productive career, but one thing is for sure no one is going to be talking extension for a few years.

Let's hope he works extra hard and really builds up the muscles around the knees. That can help to prevent these types of injuries.

Jeebus, to read some of the posts here, you'd think his career is over. Can we at least give him a couple more days before writing his baseball obituary? For all we know, he'll wake up tomorrow feeling better than ever.

If you're basing a diagnosis (and I think proclaiming that he has a named medical condition qualifies as a "diagnosis") on what you've seen on television and what you've read of injuries up to this point, you should be prepared to take flak. Most doctors would wait for an in-person, in-depth review before reaching a medical conclusion about...virtually anything, let alone structural knee issues.

I was actually just reading how some nurse watching a 'Flip or Flop' marathon on HGTV alerted Tarek that he had cancer, so I guess in some cases it is possible to diagnose over the TV. Wait, I mean... my wife told me all about this.

Let's hope he works extra hard and really builds up the muscles around the knees. That can help to prevent these types of injuries.

I remember during his rehab from the surgery they said he also had to build up the muscles around his hips and buttocks. To help his gait I think.

I was actually just reading how some nurse watching a 'Flip or Flop' marathon on HGTV alerted Tarek that he had cancer, so I guess in some cases it is possible to diagnose over the TV. Wait, I mean... my wife told me all about this.

I watch that show to ogle Christina. :D

Was there an announcement that this injury is career ending that I missed?

Archived