Machado injury (Sprained Knee Ligament- 15 Day DL)

nevadaO

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Manny Machado says knee may feel a little better. Won't know until he tests it. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OriolesTalk?src=hash">#OriolesTalk</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">August 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Manny Machado said his right knee feels about the same. Getting treatment & leg exercises every day. Hopes to see progress soon. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">August 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

so now Thorne and Palmer are saying "it's not getting better", and that Manny is saying he isn't feeling any better. Add to that Buck's change in statement that he is hoping he gets back before the end of the season. I am going to stand by my statement that the injuries in the knee area are becoming chronic. Not unusual for an alignment issue.

so now Thorne and Palmer are saying "it's not getting better", and that Manny is saying he isn't feeling any better. Add to that Buck's change in statement that he is hoping he gets back before the end of the season. I am going to stand by my statement that the injuries in the knee area are becoming chronic. Not unusual for an alignment issue.

Big difference between "about the same" and "isn't feeling better."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does this provide any evidence that the injuries are chronic? It doesn't--we're still talking about the same injury. As someone who's had knee injuries, though, I would not be surprised at all if he's done for the season and will require surgery...ligament damage doesn't tend to heal on its own.

Of course they are chronic

this is his 4th knee injury since signing with the O's, two dislocations in the minors, the major ligament tear last fall and now this

I'm still amazed that a red flag wasn't raised when they signed him

Did they just ignore the knocked knee condition

Looks like Jeffrey Hammonds all over again.

this is his 4th knee injury since signing with the O's, two dislocations in the minors, the major ligament tear last fall and now this

Hammonds played for 13 years.

Manny already has more rWAR. 10.4 vs 8.6

I got into trouble a couple of days ago on this very thread when I mentioned his condition.. it is called Genu Valgum.. it is an alignment condition between the femur and the tibia... It is easy to see it with him, especially when he runs.. the probabilities of injury to joint, ligament and tendons is more pronounced with athletes that have this condition... it isn't going away... we haven't seen the last of this unless they reinforce his legs with braces... when they do that forget third base or short... he won't have the range of mobility... the team doctors and trainers and management are the horns of a dilemma, and they know it, internally... if they don't then they should be in question, as well...

I was assailed as the messenger of doom, when what I was trying to do was point out for all of us that we have to sit back and wait, and while we are doing that as fans dial the expectations back. This could very well become an annual thing for Manny unless they do something... It can't be surgically corrected..

Are you still wishing they skipped Hammonds and took Jeter instead.

Hammonds was as good as they come, a 5 tool draftee.

Problem, he played flat out and kept getting himself hurt.

Hard to fault a guy with that kind of drive.

I got into trouble a couple of days ago on this very thread when I mentioned his condition.. it is called Genu Valgum.. it is an alignment condition between the femur and the tibia... It is easy to see it with him, especially when he runs.. the probabilities of injury to joint, ligament and tendons is more pronounced with athletes that have this condition... it isn't going away... we haven't seen the last of this unless they reinforce his legs with braces... when they do that forget third base or short... he won't have the range of mobility... the team doctors and trainers and management are the horns of a dilemma, and they know it, internally... if they don't then they should be in question, as well...

I was assailed as the messenger of doom, when what I was trying to do was point out for all of us that we have to sit back and wait, and while we are doing that as fans dial the expectations back. This could very well become an annual thing for Manny unless they do something... It can't be surgically corrected..

If you're basing a diagnosis (and I think proclaiming that he has a named medical condition qualifies as a "diagnosis") on what you've seen on television and what you've read of injuries up to this point, you should be prepared to take flak. Most doctors would wait for an in-person, in-depth review before reaching a medical conclusion about...virtually anything, let alone structural knee issues.

If you're basing a diagnosis (and I think proclaiming that he has a named medical condition qualifies as a "diagnosis") on what you've seen on television and what you've read of injuries up to this point, you should be prepared to take flak. Most doctors would wait for an in-person, in-depth review before reaching a medical conclusion about...virtually anything, let alone structural knee issues.

well of course, that is what those who want to avoid the issue like "the big white elephant in the back of the room" want to argue about my observation. But it doesn't take that much to recognize the condition, anymore than it is to see the difference between a right handed player and a left handed player. It is too easy to observe, unless you want to argue that a leftie is really a rightie..

The people who want to provide the "flak" are wishful thinkers on this matter. And that is the issue I would like people to become aware of when they project what happens next. The leg alignment issue is real and it sits in front of the probabilities of continuing injury, especially with a career that is intended to last at the professional level for many years. Frankly, you could walk up to any doctor who attends the games, like I do, and you can ask the question. If they were honest about what the see, they will tell you exactly what I have.

Archived