The guy I keep waiting for: Schoop

Frobby

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Law is very snarky. And isn't afraid to go out on a limb about things' date=' and sometimes he is wrong about those things. So the combination of those two things is going to rub people the wrong way. But if you listen to Buster Olney's podcast, and each day he has a different talking head come on, but always the same group of talking heads. Law is really the only one you hear that seems to have an understanding of baseball, breaks it down in a very logical way where even if you disagree with him, there is something there to respond to, and you'd have to really know what you are talking about to respond. And he brings something to the table in terms of personality, even if it is like a nerdy, snarky, heel commentator. To me sports is just better when you have somebody that everybody hates. Law is like the Bobby the Brain Heenan of baseball (nerdy old school wrestling reference.)[/quote']

I think Law is talented.

Law is very snarky. And isn't afraid to go out on a limb about things' date=' and sometimes he is wrong about those things. So the combination of those two things is going to rub people the wrong way. But if you listen to Buster Olney's podcast, and each day he has a different talking head come on, but always the same group of talking heads. [b']Law is really the only one you hear that seems to have an understanding of baseball,[/b] breaks it down in a very logical way where even if you disagree with him, there is something there to respond to, and you'd have to really know what you are talking about to respond. And he brings something to the table in terms of personality, even if it is like a nerdy, snarky, heel commentator. To me sports is just better when you have somebody that everybody hates. Law is like the Bobby the Brain Heenan of baseball (nerdy old school wrestling reference.)

He's a jerk and he knows it. You are right, though, he clearly understands the game. I don't know how anyone can think what he brings is pleasing to watch however. I don't buy the whole "it's better to have someone to hate".

He's a jerk and he knows it. You are right, though, he clearly understands the game. I don't know how anyone can think what he brings is pleasing to watch however. I don't buy the whole "it's better to have someone to hate".

But someone to hate does work. Turn on any channel on the ESPN network from the time "First Take" begins until a game begins that evening, all it is is filled with snarky jerks. Who people go on message boards and complain about. And ESPN does that on purpose because it works.

And It's not that I "love" Law in of himself. I do like listening to him talk baseball. But I just HATE every other talking head on the major networks. They are just all so outdated, and the complete opposite of what MLB should be doing if it wants to modernize and grow its fan base. Now maybe Law isn't "perfect," but to me he at least represents a step in the direction that baseball should be going in if it wants to attract a new audience. They can't be stuck in the Tim McCarver to Harold Reynolds/Tom Verducci mindset.

Those were some of the craziest swings today that I have ever seen from any ML baseball player... ever. That last one was unbelievable.

I could not believe that he swung at that pitch four feet off the plate. You could tell he made his mind up to swing at the pitch before it even left the pitchers hand. All we can hope for is he continues to play good defense, and occasionally, while closing his eyes and swinging out of his shoes he runs into one.

But someone to hate does work. Turn on any channel on the ESPN network from the time "First Take" begins until a game begins that evening' date=' all it is is filled with snarky jerks. Who people go on message boards and complain about. And ESPN does that on purpose because it works.

And It's not that I "love" Law in of himself. I do like listening to him talk baseball. But I just HATE every other talking head on the major networks. They are just all so outdated, and the complete opposite of what MLB should be doing if it wants to modernize and grow its fan base. Now maybe Law isn't "perfect," but to me he at least represents a step in the direction that baseball should be going in if it wants to attract a new audience. They can't be stuck in the Tim McCarver to Harold Reynolds/Tom Verducci mindset.[/quote']

I don't watch ESPN if I can help it.

I don't watch ESPN if I can help it.

I just happened to catch part of SC flipping through the channels last night and they showed the "highlights" of the Orioles DH sweep and then immediately shifted to boxing. No mention of the Orioles being in first place, no graphic, none of that stuff. Just made me laugh.

Schoop is in danger of losing time to Flaherty. The strike 3 wild pitch he swung at was embarrassing. He looked like he was getting better at pitch selection but he's fallen off a cliff again.

Whenever it looks as if he is getting hot he goes right back into these incredibly bad stretches of ineptitude.

• 2 months later...

Buck from Roch

"We're real proud of Jon," he said. "I think he got a little bogged down at the end. The first time young players play in September and October, it's a challenge for them physically, so I think more mentally and emotionally than anything. I think he's got a chance to only get better. I don't think there's anybody in the American League that turns the double play better than him. It's what allowed us to keep running him out there, because he was a contributor and difference-maker defensively.

"I would like to see him take a little jump from what he learned this year. That's another great thing about having J.J. (Hardy) there, so that's another way we could get better, Jon bringing some areas of his offensive game up. He's certainly better. He was a college junior, senior last year. I try to keep that in mind."

I think we will see offensive improvement in 2015. On defense, the one thing I'd like to see is better concentration when taking throws at 2B. I can think of 4-5 times where Schoop either dropped a throw or bobbled it while trying to turn a DP.

I think we will see offensive improvement in 2015. On defense, the one thing I'd like to see is better concentration when taking throws at 2B. I can think of 4-5 times where Schoop either dropped a throw or bobbled it while trying to turn a DP.

Buck wasn't far off in saying Schoop was the best in the American league.

Schoop leads all second baseman in rGDP.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/j-j-hardy-and-the-quick-turn/

Folks mention Chris Davis as a key point for improvement in the 2015 lineup. While those folks want Chris to revert to 2013 form which would indeed be a large improvement, I think Schoop has the potential to increase his OPS more than Davis will.

Of course, we were expecting improvement from Flaherty and haven't receive it, but hopefully, Schoop will deliver strong offensive improvement in 2015.

Folks mention Chris Davis as a key point for improvement in the 2015 lineup. While those folks want Chris to revert to 2013 form which would indeed be a large improvement, I think Schoop has the potential to increase his OPS more than Davis will.

Of course, we were expecting improvement from Flaherty and haven't receive it, but hopefully, Schoop will deliver strong offensive improvement in 2015.

2013 is unreasonable. I will be pretty happy with the 2012 version.

• 1 month later...

This one seemed the best choice to bump.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At Bowie Baysox event Jonathan Schoop said he dropped a few pounds this winter. Wants to be quicker in field & on bases.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">January 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As someone who has been concerned this, to me, was welcome news.

Archived