The guy I keep waiting for: Schoop

Frobby

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. I like Schoop, but Manny has far more potential.

When you say, "far more potential," what do you mean? They are both excellent defensive infielders, though Manny certain has shown he's elite. Schoop appears to have more raw power, Manny has shown a better overall approach at the plate. Don't get me wrong, I think Manny is a very special talent but how far behind him is Schoop, in your opinion?

I personally see Schoop maturing into a 25 HR guy who hits .260-.275 and plays superb 2b for several years. Am I being a homer?

I did say "encouraging" I don't think I was setting expectations overly high. Not sure how you can read the blurb about him knowing he has to be more selective and not think it encouraging. Of course him saying that in January isn't a guarantee that results will carry into the regular season.

The ongoing concern for Schoop is that he will outgrow second base. Since that is the concern him coming in lower at all is a positive. I would have been satisfied with him just maintaining the weight he had from last season.

I hear you. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that the "good vibes" season has started and we are going to hear a ton of positive talk from now until well into spring training. I enjoy many of those stories. But many are just positive quotes. Not trying to dump on your post or anything; no harm meant.

I hear you. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that the "good vibes" season has started and we are going to hear a ton of positive talk from now until well into spring training. I enjoy many of those stories. But many are just positive quotes. Not trying to dump on your post or anything; no harm meant.

I wasn't annoyed. Just felt like explaining why I was drinking the kool-aid in this particular insistence.

I'll be happy with the ZiPS projections for Schoop in 2015 (.238/.275/.410, 19 HR) although I think he'll reach the 20 mark. That's an 86 OPS+, much better than last season and not bad for a #9 hitter. They only have him at a 1.4 WAR though, worse than last year, so I assume they think his fielding will tank, and I don't understand that. If he puts up 500 PA of 86 OPS+ ball he should be more like a 3 WAR player.

I'll be happy with the ZiPS projections for Schoop in 2015 (.238/.275/.410, 19 HR) although I think he'll reach the 20 mark. That's an 86 OPS+, much better than last season and not bad for a #9 hitter. They only have him at a 1.4 WAR though, worse than last year, so I assume they think his fielding will tank, and I don't understand that. If he puts up 500 PA of 86 OPS+ ball he should be more like a 3 WAR player.

Seems low all around. But I'm a homer and an optimist. :D

I think the program automatically regresses one year of data.

I think the sky is the limit for both Manny and Schoop. Having Manny healthy and around throughout the season should make Schoop feel more comfortable, since the two were a double-play combination in the lower levels of the minor leagues. This could be the season they both take off.

Schoop might have a little more "raw" power than Manny but Manny's is more playable. How many RCF gap shot or homers did Schoop hit last year? I'd say no homers and I can't remember any shots into the RCF alleys. Manny might not have the pull power that Schoop has but he has plenty and that's with the ability to go the other way as well.

He had one HR to the RF side of center and three doubles to the gap with another more toward the right field wall. His home runs were pulled but his other hits were fairly well spread out.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=11265&position=2B&type=battedball&pid2=11265&ss1=2014&se1=2014&ss2=2014&se2=2014&cht1=hittype&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

He did hit a TON of ground balls for outs to the left side. Of course we already knew he made a lot of outs.

When you say' date=' "far more potential," what do you mean? They are both excellent defensive infielders, though Manny certain has shown he's elite. Schoop appears to have more raw power, Manny has shown a better overall approach at the plate. Don't get me wrong, I think Manny is a very special talent but how far behind him is Schoop, in your opinion?

I personally see Schoop maturing into a 25 HR guy who hits .260-.275 and plays superb 2b for several years. Am I being a homer?[/quote']

My comment is more a compliment to Manny than a knock on Schoop. Put it this way, Manny is younger, yet has been in the majors longer, his OPS is about 140 points higher, and he's the better fielder of the two. Offensively, I think your hope that Schoop eventually could hit .260-.275 with 25 HR is pretty realistic for his upside. Think .270/.315/.470. That would be terrific, but I think Manny's capable of .300/.355/.500. And I don't mean five years from now, I mean soon.

• 2 months later...

He has always shown some good power. Just like most young guys, once he learns to lay off the down and away slider out of the zone he could really start to make some progress. But hey, even Adam still has issues with that pitch.

Archived