The guy I keep waiting for: Schoop

Frobby

This one seemed the best choice to bump.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At Bowie Baysox event Jonathan Schoop said he dropped a few pounds this winter. Wants to be quicker in field & on bases.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">January 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As someone who has been concerned this, to me, was welcome news.

Sounds like Mr. Schoop is serious about becoming a better player. Very good to hear.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/01/jonathan-schoop-plans-to-be-lighter-and-faster-in-2015-plus-fanfest-notes.html

Encouraging comments.

"Be patient. Don't chase too many pitches. Let them throw strikes and swing at strikes. Just have to work on getting better pitches to hit. See how they pitch you. If I can do that, I'll be better," he said.
He ended the 2014 season at 228 pounds and is 224 now. He wants to get to 215 to 220 for the season.

It's the season for positive comments, impressions, etc. From now until about the third week of spring training it will be feel good blurb after feel good blurb. Not criticizing, just pointing out that it's now that time of the season.

I hope he improves and expect some improvement, but four pounds for a relatively large, very young baseball player is not exactly a major body change.

It's the season for positive comments, impressions, etc. From now until about the third week of spring training it will be feel good blurb after feel good blurb. Not criticizing, just pointing out that it's now that time of the season.

I hope he improves and expect some improvement, but four pounds for a relatively large, very young baseball player is not exactly a major body change.

I did say "encouraging" I don't think I was setting expectations overly high. Not sure how you can read the blurb about him knowing he has to be more selective and not think it encouraging. Of course him saying that in January isn't a guarantee that results will carry into the regular season.

The ongoing concern for Schoop is that he will outgrow second base. Since that is the concern him coming in lower at all is a positive. I would have been satisfied with him just maintaining the weight he had from last season.

Archived