The guy I keep waiting for: Schoop

Frobby

Didn't miss it was the key. :) Didn't see anyone complaining about swinging at the first pitch there. Leaned back and walloped that thing.

Nor would you. As Palmer said during the broadcast he had his thinking cap on there. First of all, Lindstrom had just walked a guy. Now I know the typical response is ( and again I saw it in the GT) "Why does he swing there?" You don't always but in certain situations it's a good strategy.

Lindstrom doesn't typically struggle with control so it's uncharacteristic that he's going to walk a bunch of people. On top of that he gets a visit from the pitching coach and as Palmer alluded to he wasn't telling him to be careful with the rookie at the plate. In all likelihood he was going to groove one so why would you possibly take the fattest pitch you might see in the entire AB.

Of course, the trick is for a young hitter to discern when it IS time to take the first pitch. Say, when you have a guy like Jimenez who walks a couple in a row and you're the next batter up. That's the time to take a pitch.

Schoop's ABs have improved ever since he had a little talk with Frank Robinson. Do I think it's that simple? Who knows. Some people can have a great influence over a young player and how they approach the game. If I was a young player and Frank Robinson was talking to me about hitting you'd better believe I'd be listening.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Schoop will be a very good player for the O's. It is taking a while for his bat to come around, but it's hard not to be tantalized by that power potential from a 2B with a plus glove.

It beats the previous two seasons at this position.

He is A reason, this team is where it is.

The improvement of Schoop is making me think the best move for this team in the offseason is letting Hardy go. This season we had basically no hit 2B and catcher and with Matt comming back he fills that hole. Schoop looks like he is turning the corner and I realy believe he was rushed in the first place and should have had a half year in AAA then came up. It is loooking more like Schoop can be a plus defender and decent with the bat in the next few years that allows us to have a more glove guy at SS and I would like a guy with speed which is something the team really lacks. It is a bit early to say but I see Schoop putting up numbers like Hardy in Milwaukee. He hits for power average is average and not a great OBP guy but a plus defender with an above arm.

Irregardless.

The record speaks for itself.

You have to give credit for Schoop for being a part of it.

Obviously, I think Schoop is an important part of the team's future. That's the whole point of the thread. But I don't think improved play at 2B has been a big factor for this team in 2014. Basically, the pitching has been much better, and that's why we're better. The hitting and defense were as good or better last year than this year, but the starting pitching has been much better and the bullpen has been better in high leverage situations.

Obviously, I think Schoop is an important part of the team's future. That's the whole point of the thread. But I don't think improved play at 2B has been a big factor for this team in 2014. Basically, the pitching has been much better, and that's why we're better. The hitting and defense were as good or better last year than this year, but the starting pitching has been much better and the bullpen has been better in high leverage situations.

I agree the pitching is a huge reason we are better but I also think that we started winning more games when the offense balanced intself out the last month and a half. The start of the season after Matt went down and until Manny got going we were hitting with two thirds of the lineup with Manny and Flaherty bad, no catcher, and no 2nd baseman. Manny starting getting hot and carried the bottom part of the order for the team for a bit right out of the All star break. Then they moved him up and Joseph stabilized the bottom of the order with his hitting. Now Schoop though not the average is hitting for some power as Joseph and Hundley have cooled back off. The starting pitching has been good since May but not until the bottom part of the order started helping did it show up in more wins.

Last Season, I remember lots of folks from Tony-OH to others , crucifying Buck for running B-Rob out there and what a bad move that was, since his defense was so shoddy.

Is Schoop a key part, and carrying this team, no of course not.

But, he is a part of that team, and plays everyday, so he deserves credit.

Like Brooks, Belanger, Johnson/Grinch helped their team archive the success they had.

Manny, Hardy and Schoop make a solid trio that all the pitchers benefit from.

If we were told in April that Schoop would double Hardy's home-run count through mid-August and have virtually the same amount of RBI's we would have been shocked. As with other strange happenings this year.... things are beginning to seem like it's our time.

• 3 weeks later...

From August 12:

As I think about how we can compensate for the loss of Manny on the offensive side, I feel like one of the possibilities should be improved hitting from Jonathan Schoop. Not that I'm expecting him to hit as well as Manny, but I just feel he should be able to do better than .216/.254/.340 now that he has 349 major league plate appearances under his belt.

Schoop does have a .250/.308/.542 line in August, but I'm not putting too much stock in that. It's a small sample and he was hitting .200 before going 2 for 4 yesterday. But doesn't Schoop have to figure things out sometime? I mean, he looks like a major leaguer to me, but he has really struggled despite the occasional bomb and clutch hit.

Now would be a good time for him to figure things out.

Mission accomplished?

Archived