Hypothetical, Jones for McCutchen

Outlander

Would you trade Jones for Trout?

If the Angels called me up and offered Trout straight up for Jones my immediate assumption would be that Trout was either injured in a way that was going to seriously impact his future value, or that he was the ringleader of a massive meth distributorship out of his mansion.

Similar but lesser concern if the Pirates offered McCutcheon for Jones. Why would they trade the face of the franchise for a somewhat lesser player unless something was going very wrong?

But if I had access to God's database, and could 100% verify that Trout was fine and not involved in an off-field scandal, and that the only reason the deal was going through was that the Angel's GM was certifiably insane... sure, I'd do it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Idk.why this woild even be in anyones head. To me Jones has more room to get better whereas Cutch to me has hit his peak already.

The only thing Cutch it better at to me.is defensive (because of his speed) and discipline ay the plate.

If Jones could see a slider better he could be a .300+ hitter and potentially hit 35-40 HRs.

I dont see any room for growth in Cutch but a good amount for Jones. So id say no.

I see it the opposite. I don't really see much room for growth with Jones. He's a .280-.300 hitter with 30-40 HR right now in his prime. He has a very aggressive aproach at the plate and that is part of why is his so successful. I don't think he's just magically going to learn how to lay off a tough slider down and away or get his walk rate to a respectable level.

McCutchen has had an OBP over .400 each of the last two seasons and it's currently at .404 this season. Jones is never coming close to that.

And that's fine. I love Jones as a player, a person, and the leader of this team. The difference between McCutchen and Jones plus the value he bring to this team and city is not large enough for me to make the trade. But McCutchen is a better player.

You guys come up with some random crap.

Particularly at a time when the Orioles aren't exactly struggling to stay afloat.

It's not like they need a shot in the arm ...... although, sometimes I've been told that I need a shot in the head. :o

The problem with these obviously lopsided trade proposals is that in real life things like this only happen when the player in question is a colossal jerk who is actively destroying the team. Like when the four times Dick Allen OPS'd .900 in a pitcher's league and immediately got traded for three utility guys and $100k. Or Rogers Hornsby, who a year after literally leading the NL in BA/OBP/SLG for six consecutive years(!!!) was traded, then the next year he was traded, then traded again, and most of those were for prospects and spare parts.

Sure, we'd get six guys saying those teams were stupid and of course you'd acquire this awesome guy for whatever. But you never get a superstar for a lesser player unless something else is going on.

The problem with these obviously lopsided trade proposals is that in real life things like this only happen when the player in question is a colossal jerk who is actively destroying the team. Like when the four times Dick Allen OPS'd .900 in a pitcher's league and immediately got traded for three utility guys and $100k. Or Rogers Hornsby, who a year after literally leading the NL in BA/OBP/SLG for six consecutive years(!!!) was traded, then the next year he was traded, then traded again, and most of those were for prospects and spare parts.

Sure, we'd get six guys saying those teams were stupid and of course you'd acquire this awesome guy for whatever. But you never get a superstar for a lesser player unless something else is going on.

The Senators traded away their left side of their infield and two starting pitchers for a washed up drug taking Denny McLain, in what has to be the worst lopsided trade in MLB history.

Haha! Good one. Don't fall in love with the player. Love the uniform!

I can't operate that way. Of course, you have trades, free agency and turnover, but I will never see my team as just a bunch of WAR units who happen to wear our uniform. There have to be guys I consider true Orioles who I'll remember as such 25 years from now. Sports would not be worthwhile for me if it were otherwise.

The "He's our guy" and "don't want to upset team chemistry" arguments are a slippery slope. It's all about "he's our guy" verses the baseball advantage to the trade. If you want to argue that the advantage is not big enough to trade "our guy", fine. However, if the argument is only that he's "our guy", then you must also be willing to say you wouldn't trace Nick Markakis for McCutcheon tomorrow as well.

Very good point. The value has to be in the ballpark of equivalent for the other stuff to matter.

Not sure how everyone thinks McCutchen is absolutely better than Jones. Jones has more pop is just as good of a fielder and McCutchen is a more disciplined hitter with more speed' date=' but I'm not seeing how its such a clear cut thing.[/quote']

I'd keep our guy. But that's just me. Close enough that the leadership of a team in first place by nine games pushes our veteran over the top for me.

I see it the opposite. I don't really see much room for growth with Jones. He's a .280-.300 hitter with 30-40 HR right now in his prime. He has a very aggressive aproach at the plate and that is part of why is his so successful. I don't think he's just magically going to learn how to lay off a tough slider down and away or get his walk rate to a respectable level.

McCutchen has had an OBP over .400 each of the last two seasons and it's currently at .404 this season. Jones is never coming close to that.

And that's fine. I love Jones as a player, a person, and the leader of this team. The difference between McCutchen and Jones plus the value he bring to this team and city is not large enough for me to make the trade. But McCutchen is a better player.

Help me understand this a little better. I do agree, currently, Cutch is a better player.

But I feel Jones has a better chance of improving his play than Cutch. I only say that because he already hit .330 or better in a season and as you mentioned has a damn good OBP.

But could you see Cutch having better year than his best year before seeing Adam improve on his best year?

Archived