Manny Machado expected to have surgery on knee within a week.

Greg

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playoffs is were it's gonna cost us. Dan needs to get a 3B before Aug 31. Doesn't have to be a star just someone that has played 3B.

Or alternatively as I pointed out you could leave Davis at 3B, Pearce at 1B and get someone who can play OF ...Flaherty is fine to backup 2B and 3B

Playoffs is were it's gonna cost us. Dan needs to get a 3B before Aug 31. Doesn't have to be a star just someone that has played 3B.

I am not even sure it needs to be a third baseman. Maybe a left fielder or first base guy so they can get Young on the bench.

Carry Clevenger on the playoff roster, there is a PH. The team will go with 14 position players most likely so you add Clevenger and subtract a pitcher. Maybe carry Quentin Berry over Phelps, or take Weeks if he is healthy.

The same Clevenger that is a career .213 hitter in the majors and has one homer and that is our big bat off the bench. No thank you

It is a big if, but if he's cleared waivers, the best fit is probably today's opposing 3B, Luis Valbuena.

His Defensive Runs is slightly positive, he bats left to balance our lineup some, and his power-oriented offense matches our team. He's a decent player with two more years of team control, but about to be passed by the Cubs mega prospects. But as a decent player with two more years of arb, he likely wouldn't pass waivers, and if he did, he would deserve a decent return. Cubs famously have all the bats now, so maybe our next tier of arms fits. Who's next after E-Rod? Wright? Berry?

It is a big if, but if he's cleared waivers, the best fit is probably today's opposing 3B, Luis Valbuena.

His Defensive Runs is slightly positive, he bats left to balance our lineup some, and his power-oriented offense matches our team. He's a decent player with two more years of team control, but about to be passed by the Cubs mega prospects. But as a decent player with two more years of arb, he likely wouldn't pass waivers, and if he did, he would deserve a decent return. Cubs famously have all the bats now, so maybe our next tier of arms fits. Who's next after E-Rod? Wright? Berry?

E-Rod is in the Boston Red Sox organization after he was used to acquire Andrew Miller.

E-Rod is in the Boston Red Sox organization after he was used to acquire Andrew Miller.

I only meant that DD's obviously comfortable trading the E-Rod and less type arms, and Valbuena's price tag should be under the Bundy/Harvey level.

By the way, the Reynolds pictures - I was looking at 3B sorted by defense because I imagine a glove-first guy is what we'll end up with if anything, and for whatever it is worth, Reynolds's fangraphs Defensive Runs is HIGHER than Beltre's this year.

Some silly deals being proposed here. The Rangers were not willing to deal Beltre before the deadline unless they were overwhelmed what makes anyone think they will now just cause we happen to need a 3B?

It would take a huge haul along the lines of Bundy, Walker, Cisco and perhaps another arm like Wright or Bridwell to get that done...not worth it considering we can win the division without him and come playoffs he could well go 1 for 15 if he hits a cold streak.

A more realistic possibility IMO would be to get a guy like Alex Rios from the Rangers to play LF, leave Davis at 3B and Pearce at 1B...Cruz DH. You could get a guy like Rios for much less and while he is far from great he is a serviceable fielder in LF, can do a little something more than Lough with the bat and gives you some depth in your OF if Pearce is at 1B

I see trying to get Beltre as a reactionary/panic move. And Texas is not going to want to give the appearance of getting fleeced by the Orioles in a trade -again-. It's going to take too much to try and get him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller move. But there's no way I'd be trading Bundy, or Manny or some of the crazy pacakages thrown around. But then, I'm just conservative I guess.

Archived