Can D. Young upgrade 3b?

vab

Sorry but think you really don't understand. Your talking about a 25 y.o SS who has seen his offensive numbers decline almost yearly, has a WAR this season of 1.0 comparative to JJ's 2.8. So I would much rather be locked into only 3 years of Hardy with financial flexibility once its over than 7 years of Andrus being overpaid and not producing....just saying.

I am not sure why you say he is declining each year. He has been pretty steady throughout his career. This season he is down dome because of a bade first month or so but since then is the same hitter as the past and that is with little protection this season. He has hit basically .270 to .280 every season and will steal you 30 or so bases along with a decent glove. This season his War is down but the previous three seasons he has had an equal War or better War then Hardy each season. The length of the contract is an issue but over the next three season I would think Elvis plays as good or better then Hardy and as I said of the 8 years 5 or so are in his prime. The other thing I like is his speed which is something the team is lacking he should still be a 25-30 steal guy. I also would think the Rangers may not be against adding some money to the deal since they have some options in the infield. If you could get 3 million or so from them per year the total would be 94 million or 12 million a year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's one thing to risk $15M a year for three years on a relatively old shortstop. It's another thing altogether to risk $15M a year for eight years on anybody, especially a defense-first shortstop in the midst of a down season.

The Andrus deal is still a bit of a head-scratcher. The Rangers had to really, really believe in his defense. That has to be the longest and most expensive contract ever for someone who's never even been a league-average hitter.

Elvis has a higher career batting average and a higher career OBP. He has lower numbers in Slg so that hurts him in OPS but his speed is a big difference and equals it out so I can see how you say one guys is a defense first shorttop and the other isn's when there numbers are not far off and Elvis has the two tools this team lacks the most OBP and some speed.

I am not sure he play third anyway but I still would not mind the option if he can because of the OBP increase, speed and age.

Elvis has a higher career batting average and a higher career OBP. He has lower numbers in Slg so that hurts him in OPS but his speed is a big difference and equals it out so I can see how you say one guys is a defense first shorttop and the other isn's when there numbers are not far off and Elvis has the two tools this team lacks the most OBP and some speed.

I am not sure he play third anyway but I still would not mind the option if he can because of the OBP increase, speed and age.

At the risk of 15 million per year for 8 years?

I never said Hardy wasn't a defense-first shortstop, because he is. He's also not going to, nor has he ever, been offered an 8-year contract.

Archived