Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Vetted, peer-reviewed epidemiological data relating statin use to reduced mortality risk in high-risk populations are wrong, but your hunch is definitely correct!

I am wrong to say someone should exercise and change his diet to include something besides fast food. I am guessing there are a lot more studies showing eating healthy and exercising are a lot more effective and healthier than taking drugs for cholesterol. And provide links to the studies.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am wrong to say someone should exercise and change his diet to include something besides fast food. I am guessing there are a lot more studies showing eating healthy and exercising are a lot more effective and healthier than taking drugs for cholesterol. And provide links to the studies.

Yes, he should exercise and change his diet as the first most crucial step. He didn't, or couldn't.

People with COPD should just stop smoking, but we still treat them if they don't quit.

Some good links to start out with, which are meta-analyses cited in the American Heart Association's most recent guidelines (out of a total of 144 citations): here and here

Yeah I know a guy in his 20s on cholesterol medication. They told to change his diet and come back in 3 months and if it hadn't gone down they would give him the mess. He continued to eat junk food and wouldn't walk a block even though I told him I would walk with him. People want an easy way out. Every drug you take is going to have side effects. Unless it essential to your health it isn't with taking.
So if he lacks the self discipline to diet and exercise, he should just die instead of having his life prolonged with a drug?

The fact that other alternatives can improve high cholesterol doesn't negate the efficacy of High cholesterol meds.

To be fair, a small slice of what he is saying makes some sense, in that environment can probably play a role in mental illness in some people.

I've already freely admitted that we tend to over diagnose and medicate in this country. My issue with him is the fact that he seems to think any and all mental illnesses are BS.

Vetted, peer-reviewed epidemiological data relating statin use to reduced mortality risk in high-risk populations are wrong, but your hunch is definitely correct! (Note: statins can have side effects. Double note: statins aren't essential to the health of most people who take/have taken them, but they probably prevented strokes and heart attacks in a small minority of patients, so it's still worth it).

I just read an article that their benefits aren't worth their risks but of course everyone would agree that a non drug solution to high cholesterol is better than a drug based solution and even if this guys heart attack is prevented and the drugs side effect aren't severe for him that isn't going to stop him from getting Diabetes in the future.

I've already freely admitted that we tend to over diagnose and medicate in this country. My issue with him is the fact that he seems to think any and all mental illnesses are BS.

I don't believe that at all I am just stating that most kids that are diagnosed with AHDD don't really have issues that require drugs. The number is too large and seems to be growing all the time. That is why I said don't take my advice for your kid I am talking in general too many kids are on drugs. If you have a kid who is hearing voices they certainly have a mental illness. If your kid isn't eating because they are depressed that is a mental illness.

I just read an article that their benefits aren't worth their risks but of course everyone would agree that a non drug solution to high cholesterol is better than a drug based solution and even if this guys heart attack is prevented and the drugs side effect aren't severe for him that isn't going to stop him from getting Diabetes in the future.

Yep, he will still have a high predisposition for diabetes. And if he is smart or fortunate enough to stay plugged into medical care, he will get treated for that with medicine, too. Rather than burden this thread further with medical banter, I'll just stop posting and encourage you to volunteer some time at Health Care for the Homeless or something similar to get a better view of some of the long-term sequelae of untreated diseases as people age into their 30s-40s and beyond. It may change your perspective in surprising ways.

I don't think it's the performance-enhancing aspect of these things that makes them outlawed. It's that they have severe side effects. You don't get cancer or get psychotic or abusive or roid rage or have heart palpitations for wearing contacts or eyeglasses.

If a guy takes a mostly harmless pill like ibuprofen and it cures his pain, great. If he takes a prescription that a doctor says will help repair injuries or minimize pain, great. But things like steroids, testosterone and human growth hormone have severe side effects. If we hypothetically had performance-enhancing drugs with minimal or no side effects that weren't addictive, behavior-changing or lifespan-shortening, I doubt they would be outlawed.

Certain steroids are banned but no all. Cortisone and Prednisone are not banned. Yet players get the shot or take it orally for the purpose of getting them on the field quicker or prolong their careers. They have side effects which are nasty but MLB doesn't ban them.

If your kid is Schizophrenic put them on drugs. If you kid is having trouble concentrating in school don't give them drugs. What is insane is loading up a kid on drugs because he is being a boy. There are things you can do to help your kid concentrate better. Natural diet, no sugars like Apple juice, get plent of exercise, don't give them video games, limit tv to an hour a day, talk to them, make them read books every day. Every foster kid I had was raised by drug addicts but all of them that stayed more than a couple of weeks got their ADHD, aspergers, low iq diagnosis go away when they lived with us.

What is really ignorant is putting kids on anti depressants when their is no proof that kids with depression do better on drugs than off drugs.

And BTW I have a degree in Psychology among others.

But don't listen to me for advice with your own kid that is your decision.. Imam just some guy on the Internet

Yeah I know a guy in his 20s on cholesterol medication. They told to change his diet and come back in 3 months and if it hadn't gone down they would give him the mess. He continued to eat junk food and wouldn't walk a block even though I told him I would walk with him. People want an easy way out. Every drug you take is going to have side effects. Unless it essential to your health it isn't with taking.

High cholesterol due to unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise is COMPLETELY different than having ADHD, which one has no control over.

The myth of cutting sugar to control ADHD have been debunked. I'm surprised with your psychology degree that you don't know that. Perhaps it's time to be re-educated. /eyeroll

Just as a bit of a public health discourse...I have spent my entire professional life treating individuals suffering with a wide variety of brain illnesses and other disorders of mental life. The reality is that brain illnesses do exist. The wonderful organ that sits in our skull can, unfortunately, be afflicted with illness at times, just like every other part of our body. Fortunately, our understanding of the brain, its function, and its disorders and treatments are much greater now than even a decade ago. Every person, however, is an individual. You cannot make sweeping generalizations and be accurate about much of anything as it relates to the complexity of the human mind/brain. It is essential to conduct a thorough psychiatric evaluation and diagnosis and only then to develop an individualized treatment plan that could involve additional brain imaging, neuropsychological tests, medication, psychotherapy, or social interventions. This is what I do every single day with individuals and their families who suffer greatly due to brain illnesses. Unfortunately, unlike illnesses affecting other parts of the body, people who suffer from them also have to deal stigma, unlike someone with cancer or heart disease. I was very fortunate to have trained at Johns Hopkins that has some of the world's leading brain scientists in their psychiatry division. If Chris Davis has attention deficit disorder, it is an illness that can adversely impact his life in many ways and which does, fortunately, often respond effectively to treatment. The brain of individuals with ADD does not respond to amphetamines like the brain of people without the disorder. They are not sped up or increased in energy, but, in fact, are often reduced in their hyperactivity and only normalized in their capacity for attention and concentration. If Chris has ADD and simply made a mistake in not filing the necessary exemption with MLB, then that was his mistake that he will pay dearly for. But, if he does NOT have ADD and was abusing or misusing nonindicated Adderall which is a Schedule Ii controlled substance, then that IS substance abuse, which is a different problem altogether.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certain steroids are banned but no all. Cortisone and Prednisone are not banned. Yet players get the shot or take it orally for the purpose of getting them on the field quicker or prolong their careers. They have side effects which are nasty but MLB doesn't ban them.

Those are not anabolic steroids. Do some homework before you post on this.

Archived