J.J. Hardy would like to stay, but 'everything changes' in free agency

wildcard

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No but another offer is usually made:)

Calm down man:) No need to get upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said I'm upset. You want me to applaud you for something I don't agree with?

I'm not a GM but from what I have heard it doesn't work that way. There are generally no actual "offers" to start with. The GM contacts the agent and gets some general parameters/framework of a deal. If there is something to work, then they begin negotiations and make offers. If there is nothing to work with, there are no negotiations. It ends there because it would be a waste of time. They keep in contact and see if the demands have gone down. Hardy's agent isn't likely going to lower his demands closer to free agency in a good year.

I think our GM has handled the Hardy situation very well to this point. I think it would have been a mistake to give out a multi-year contract before the season without seeing if there were any deterioration in Hardy's defensive game. Also, I think these negotiations that might occur before or during a season can go wrong and create more bad blood - like the Mussina negotiations a long time ago. JJ has been on a bargain contract and is unlikely to be so kind in negotiations this time around - which I think is an important reason for the Os negotiating stance since most any offer we would make to him would likely be considered a lowball offer.

Better to assess JJ's season, let other teams set a market for him, and then decide what to do.

Hardy is a crucial part of the current team, but I am not eager to hold onto an older SS as he heads toward his mid-30s when things can go downhill quickly. I am sure JJ likes playing in Bmore for his current manager and the current group of guys. Despite this, I expect I will prefer to let JJ go and take the draft pick associated with a QO when it gets to that stage.

Before the season began, I thought JJ was worth the same as Perahlta, 4 years-52 million. He has had a down year with power, committed more errors than last year and has had back problems this year, a sign of getting older. I no longer think he is worth 13 million per year and/or definitely not for 4 years.

I'd call a 3.5 WAR pretty good. I do think think teams will be wary of his injury issues. .

The Yankees won't. There team is one big ambulance squad.

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree, but you seemed confrontational in your reply. No worries.

The Yankees won't. There team is one big ambulance squad.

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree, but you seemed confrontational in your reply. No worries.

Yup. Like I said earlier, I won't be surprised to see the Yankees offer him a 4/60 type of deal. No way the O's will match that...nor should they.

Yeah, we should have just paid pay him whatever his agent wanted I guess.

Do you really not understand the concept of too far apart?

It would be nice to hear some specifics. Did they actually exchange offers/demands?

Hardy on April 21:

"I don't know. I don't know what to say because no matter what I say it's going to cause some controversy, a story that I really don't want to get involved with right now," Hardy told CSNBaltimore.com. "There's been no talk. There was going to be talk, and then there wasn't. That's kind of the way it's been left."

After coming to the O's from the Minnesota Twins, Hardy inked a three-year contract extension with Baltimore and wants to stay.

"It just makes me curious. I don't understand what happened within the month or two that there was going to be talk, and all of a sudden there's not. It just makes me curious," Hardy said.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10814449&src=desktop

That doesn't sound like talks had occurred where the parties were far apart.

It would be nice to hear some specifics. Did they actually exchange offers/demands?

Hardy on April 21:

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10814449&src=desktop

That doesn't sound like talks had occurred where the parties were far apart.

This may be a matter of semantics. The O's might have discussed what Hardy was looking for with his agent, and, hearing that, may have decided to wait. Given Hardy's injury concerns and relative lack of power this season, I'm not at all sorry that they did.

The O's need to resign Hardy...

The O's need to have 2 players that will usually be standing between 2nd base and 3rd base. One will be closer to 2nd and the other will be closer to 3rd. One of them does not "need" to be JJ Hardy. I lean on the "make a qualifying offer" side of the equation. It meets the short term "need" if he accepts and doesn't create a long-term risk. Granted, he probably won't accept, so DD will have to be creative to find that player to stand closer to 2nd base.

Archived