Chen vs Right-handed heavy Tigers lineup

Tony-OH

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never heard word one of Chen being a guy that would take exception at being asked to stand aside for this series for the good of the team. Let him start game 1 of the next series.

Heck Tillman was pitching really well in 2012 and didn't even get into a game.

So the defense is you haven't heard Chen would complain so therefore it wouldn't have any negative effects? Tillman's situation was completely different.

These decisions aren't made in a vacuum and this process isn't a sprint. You can't predict how leaving a guy off a roster would impact his confidence down the road. Just like we don't know if Gausman would have been better off pitching in relief this series and starting next series.

As I said before these are people not machines. Anybody that saw the beginning of the broadcast saw Norris saying he "wished he was a fan today" because the crowd was so electric. There were people that wanted him to go today.

He's been one of our most dominant bullpen arms for over a month now. He's not exactly filler.

He basically only pitches against left handed batters and Chen faces right handed batters all the time. If he started Gausman there is no guarantee he wouldn't have gotten lit up like Chen. Gasman had problems his second time through the line up just like Chen.

So the defense is you haven't heard Chen would complain so therefore it wouldn't have any negative effects? Tillman's situation was completely different.

These decisions aren't made in a vacuum and this process isn't a spring. You can't predict how leaving a guy off a roster would impact his confidence down the road. Just like we don't know if Gausman would have been better off pitching in relief this series and starting next series.

As I said before these are people not machines. Anybody that saw the beginning of the broadcast saw Norris saying he "wished he was a fan today" because the crowd was so electric. There were people that wanted him to go today.

Why should I assume he would think he is bigger then the team and take umbrage at the perceived slight?

He basically only pitches against left handed batters and Chen faces right handed batters all the time. If he started Gausman there is no guarantee he wouldn't have gotten lit up like Chen. Gasman had problems his second time through the line up just like Chen.

Of course there isn't a guarantee.

It was still the proper play given Detroit's lineup.

I'll be glad when Buck and DD are gone, we have a lot of people on this board alone that are way smarter than they are.

You know, I really despise this cop out.

Unless you think Buck and Dan are actually divine then they can make mistakes. It is possible that even someone as lowly as us here on this board and realize that Buck is going to make a mistake.

So the defense is you haven't heard Chen would complain so therefore it wouldn't have any negative effects? Tillman's situation was completely different.These decisions aren't made in a vacuum and this process isn't a sprint. You can't predict how leaving a guy off a roster would impact his confidence down the road.
You don't manage a team or any one game with regard to a player's ego. These guys all have confidence, it comes with the territory of being a ML ball player. Part of Buck's job description is to manage personalities. If it were the case, and I see no signs of it with Chen or anyone else on this team, Buck I'm sure has the wherewithal to sit someone down and explain his thinking on why a decision is being made. I've heard him say as much before about guys being sent down during the season. He doesn't like doing it. They don't like having it done, but they get it.It's the same thing here. Going into this series, you take everything else out of it except the team we're facing and which pitcher is best equipped to get the job done.I wouldn't have said Jimenez a month ago to make the roster but I like the decision now. Chen just didn't match up well and if his confidence couldn't hold up through a decision that benefitted the team then he didn't have very much in the first place.

Archived