You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

Hardly a bandwagon fan here.

And hey, we were throwing out youtube videos, i just wanted to do my part to contribute to the hangout. :D;)

Well you did jump on the bandwagon, and there's never been much of a reason to jump off. When someone picks a team that is nowhere close to where they live, and said team is a great team, that is jumping on the bandwagon.

I'll admit I jumped on the Bulls bandwagon when I was young, I wasn't really into the NBA, Michael Jordan basically got me into it, so I rooted for the Bulls, but I certainly was that much of a Bulls fan, more of an MJ fan.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well using your logic, if there's any debate who the school's main rival is, how can one of them be the top rivalry in all of sports.;) And apparently there are some UNC fans who feel NC State is more of their real rival, and at least nationally, the Duke-Maryland rivalry had overtaken the Duke-UNC rivalry for a few years.

It hasn't in terms of hatred and the whole "closeness" thing however(and this is an interesting stat), MD has beaten Duke in Cameron more times, since 1999, than Carolina has beaten Duke overall(4-3)

Well you did jump on the bandwagon, and there's never been much of a reason to jump off. When someone picks a team that is nowhere close to where they live, and said team is a great team, that is jumping on the bandwagon.

I'll admit I jumped on the Bulls bandwagon when I was young, I wasn't really into the NBA, Michael Jordan basically got me into it, so I rooted for the Bulls, but I certainly was that much of a Bulls fan, more of an MJ fan.

Well, why aren't you a UMBC fan(you went to St Joe, so i assume you lived close to there) or Towson or Loyola? I mean, they are all D1 schools.

See, untlimately, unless you go to the school or have big time family ties to the school, everyone is a bandwagon fan on some level.

You guys are MD fans because they are the state school, in a major conference, in the national spotlight and have a chance to win champsionships.

You aren't die hard UMBC or Towson fans, even if you live closer to those schools(or even went to the schools) because there isn't much to really root for.

The idea that you must root for a team from where you are from has always been a joke to me.

I never said Beaner admitted it was a bigger rivalry. He only said that some locals that are UNC fans hate State more, which seemed to go against his argument.

TTF is correct, I didnt say it was bigger, I agreed that some older folks down south believe that. That's all. To me, it's all about UNC-DUKE.

It hasn't in terms of hatred and the whole "closeness" thing however(and this is an interesting stat), MD has beaten Duke in Cameron more times, since 1999, than Carolina has beaten Duke overall(4-3)

Yeah, I'm not saying Duke fans hated MD more than UNC, although, I'd be surprised if a small percentage didn't. But it was clearly a bigger deal nationally for a few years. And when trying to evaluate what's the biggest rivalry in sports, I think you have to look at it from the national perspective as well.

At least he kept his bandwagon gloating to the NCAA board and out of the Terps board.

P.S. SG, I'm sure you've explained this before but I'm curious as to how you arrived at being a dook fan.

I was like 8 years old when i started watching college bball. No one in my family is a sports fan(aside from the O's and the old Colts) other than myself. At that time, Duke was always on, i watched them, they were good, so i started liking them.

I had no ties to anyone and again, just because i was from Maryland and lived in Maryland, i didn't feel the need to be a Terps fan.(they may have even been on probation at the time but i wouldn't have known that at the time)

Yeah, I'm not saying Duke fans hated MD more than UNC, although, I'd be surprised if a small percentage didn't. But it was clearly a bigger deal nationally for a few years. And when trying to evaluate what's the biggest rivalry in sports, I think you have to look at it from the national perspective as well.

The bottom line is since 1999, MD is the only team that has shown any kind of consistency in beating Duke(well, UCONN can say that too but havent played alot...UCONN and MD tend to be built in similar ways which gives Duke matchup problems) and because they have shown that consistency, they deserve more respect in this type of conversation than they get IMO.

Well, why aren't you a UMBC fan(you went to St Joe, so i assume you lived close to there) or Towson or Loyola? I mean, they are all D1 schools.

See, untlimately, unless you go to the school or have big time family ties to the school, everyone is a bandwagon fan on some level.

You guys are MD fans because they are the state school, in a major conference, in the national spotlight and have a chance to win champsionships.

You aren't die hard UMBC or Towson fans, even if you live closer to those schools(or even went to the schools) because there isn't much to really root for.

The idea that you must root for a team from where you are from has always been a joke to me.

Give me a break SG. Rooting for the state school(in a small state) is not jumping on the bandwagon in any way. Especially when the basketball team wasn't even allowed to be on TV, and both the football and basketball teams were quite bad when I became a fan. So take that national spotlight and chance to win championships part out of it.

Obviously you don't have to root for a team where your from, but picking one of the best teams from an area far away is jumping on the bandwagon, that is basically the definition of it.

And why are you an O's and Ravens fan?

Most people root for the local teams, that's the way it's always been and the way it should be imo. You can watch the teams games consistently, follow them in the paper, sports radio, and the local sports shows, and you can easily go support your team in person. Plus you have the connection with your community.

Give me a break SG. Rooting for the state school(in a small state) is not jumping on the bandwagon in any way. Especially when the basketball team wasn't even allowed to be on TV, and both the football and basketball teams were quite bad when I became a fan. So take that national spotlight and chance to win championships part out of it.

Obviously you don't have to root for a team where your from, but picking one of the best teams from an area far away is jumping on the bandwagon, that is basically the definition of it.

And why are you an O's and Ravens fan?

Most people root for the local teams, that's the way it's always been and the way it should be imo. You can watch the teams games consistently, follow them in the paper, sports radio, and the local sports shows, and you can easily go support your team in person. Plus you have the connection with your community.

Why do you root for and follow MD so much but not UMBC, Towson, Loyola, etc...?

Why do you root for and follow MD so much but not UMBC, Towson, Loyola, etc...?

Because their the state school and the major college sports team in Maryland. That's like asking me why I root for the O's more than the Baysox. And I do root for those teams, just don't pay attention to them, and it's pretty hard to pay attention to them since their not on TV or radio, don't get much press anywhere. What would you like me to do, follow the team through little blurbs in the Sun?

Sorry, this is not even close to being comparable with you picking Duke. Why can't you just admit you jumped on the bandwagon? You may have had good reasons to do so, but jump you did.

Archived