You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, that was my whole point to MWEB and TTF at the beginning of the day, the Duke rivalry with Maryland didnt really pick up steam until the 2000's. Duke was just like everyone else to Maryland up until that point. It's always big to beat Carolina for most teams, and that's awesome that you remember that as a high point.

I remember not liking Bobby Hurley because he made the cover of SI the week Oriole Park opened, even though there was a big story about the new ballpark. For whatever reason, my 7-year-old brain felt like Oriole Park should have made the cover.

But my feelings towards Duke started with the game at Dixon Indoor Stadium in 2000, when Duke seemed unbeatable at home and Juan torched them to get Maryland a big win. I don't honestly remember any particular hatred for them, or any reason that game was more pleasing than any other except that they were so good and we were still new to the national stage. That, followed immediately by the 2000-01 season where we played them 4 times (to bring this thread back around, the refs in the Final Four game should be shot ;)) definitely cemented my hatred of all things Blue Devil.

Exactly, that was my whole point to MWEB and TTF at the beginning of the day, the Duke rivalry with Maryland didnt really pick up steam until the 2000's. Duke was just like everyone else to Maryland up until that point. It's always big to beat Carolina for most teams, and that's awesome that you remember that as a high point.

Again, I'm not sure why that was your whole point to me when I never said Duke-MD was much of a rivalry in the 90's. Just said MD fans hated Duke before that, which I think is mostly true.

Yes but again, Beaner himself said that people in the Chapel Hill/Durham area despise State more on occassion.

If the rivalry was so big, and the location of the two teams fostered that hatred, it would make sense that the people living in that area would root against either UNC and Dook and that State would be an afterthought. A much hated afterthougth but an afterthougt nonetheless.

Again, this is all personal opinion. You guys love Carolina and dook so naturally you'd think that is the best most fierce rivalry. I'm sure that an OSU or Michigan fan can give you countless reasons why their rivalry is the best that (in their eyes) trumps your geographical closeness argument.

Hell, one of my closest friends that is a die-hard Michigan fan can name you any number of things that the city of Columbus has done to them when they play there in their annual game.

Being 8 miles apart is significant, but it's not the deal maker you guys make it out to be particularly in this day and age.

P.S. I have no doubt that there are some business owners that are Michigan or OSU fans that have refused to hire the other based on what team they like or where they went to school. I think some of the things you talk about:

-not wanting to be buried near a dook fan

-not hiring a dook alum

are not unique to just that rivalry. Either that or the OSU/Michigan rivalry has other examples that are the equivalent to those.

I admit full-well that these other rivalries are just as intense for their fans. I also admit by bias in this discussion. It's certainly possible that OSU-Michigan is a better rivalry, but I have yet to see any proof of it.

As for beaner "admitting" that the UNC-State rivalry is bigger than UNC-dook, I have to disagree with him. The people who feel that way tend to be the State fans, who feel left out of the UNC-dook festivities. In Raleigh, they hate Carolina, dislike dook, and just wish they were allowed into the conversation.

I remember not liking Bobby Hurley because he made the cover of SI the week Oriole Park opened, even though there was a big story about the new ballpark. For whatever reason, my 7-year-old brain felt like Oriole Park should have made the cover.

But my feelings towards Duke started with the game at Dixon Indoor Stadium in 2000, when Duke seemed unbeatable at home and Juan torched them to get Maryland a big win. I don't honestly remember any particular hatred for them, or any reason that game was more pleasing than any other except that they were so good and we were still new to the national stage. That, followed immediately by the 2000-01 season where we played them 4 times (to bring this thread back around, the refs in the Final Four game should be shot ;)) definitely cemented my hatred of all things Blue Devil.

That's when it started for Maryland-Duke, no doubt. That Final Four game was ludicrous, I recall it well.

I admit full-well that these other rivalries are just as intense for their fans. I also admit by bias in this discussion. It's certainly possible that OSU-Michigan is a better rivalry, but I have yet to see any proof of it.

As for beaner "admitting" that the UNC-State rivalry is bigger than UNC-dook, I have to disagree with him. The people who feel that way tend to be the State fans, who feel left out of the UNC-dook festivities. In Raleigh, they hate Carolina, dislike dook, and just wish they were allowed into the conversation.

Well using your logic, if there's any debate who the school's main rival is, how can one of them be the top rivalry in all of sports.;) And apparently there are some UNC fans who feel NC State is more of their real rival, and at least nationally, the Duke-Maryland rivalry had overtaken the Duke-UNC rivalry for a few years.

I never said Beaner admitted it was a bigger rivalry. He only said that some locals that are UNC fans hate State more, which seemed to go against his argument.

Archived