Resign Cruz and let Davis go

Diehard_O's_Fan

With Davis it depends if he can correctly see the baseball. Hitting a baseball good is difficult at best. Hitting it with less than real good vision is next to impossible. His ailment must be addressed to allow him to have some more good years. Only MLB could screw around with a players career by first allowing him to use a medication, then say, oh by the way, guess what, in our infinite wisdom you cannot use it anymore. It is not just to expect him to bounce back in the traditional mode from an off year, but being allowed to receive some kind of medication to improve a real physical ailment. If he is allowed to receive proper medication, keep him, if not then trade him for something, anyway.

My understanding is he was OFF Adderall when he had the great year in 2013, then struggled in 2014, and, out of desperation, got back on it and got caught. At least some portion of 2014 he was on Adderall and it certainly did not help him.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My understanding is he was OFF Adderall when he had the great year in 2013, then struggled in 2014, and, out of desperation, got back on it and got caught. At least some portion of 2014 he was on Adderall and it certainly did not help him.

Got caught. Twice. Twice. Has it even been detirmined that he had an active prescription for it? I bet that as a banned substance, he didn't.

With Davis it depends if he can correctly see the baseball. Hitting a baseball good is difficult at best. Hitting it with less than real good vision is next to impossible. His ailment must be addressed to allow him to have some more good years. Only MLB could screw around with a players career by first allowing him to use a medication, then say, oh by the way, guess what, in our infinite wisdom you cannot use it anymore. It is not just to expect him to bounce back in the traditional mode from an off year, but being allowed to receive some kind of medication to improve a real physical ailment. If he is allowed to receive proper medication, keep him, if not then trade him for something, anyway.

I basically agree with you. I don't know if this has been answered and I apologize if it has, but was Davis diagnosed with ADD or ADHD in his younger years or was an adult onset case (or like I need something to help me hit-onset) and Davis and/or agent found a Dr that hands out scripts after a "diagnosis"?

If it was legit, I don't know why MLB had a right to not allow the med and why he failed to reapply. I mean you could call glasses a PED, a performing enhancing device. They are allowed. My only guess here is that he never had the disability and cheated.

Cutting Davis because of his crappy 2014 is about as ridiculous as giving him a huge extension after his 2013 season. He won't be as good as 2013 but there's no problem betting 7 million on him being better than 2014. I have no problem putting my faith in a HR hitter in his power prime. If he can work on making adjustments against the shift in the offseason, he'll definitely be fine. This isn't Jim Johnson we're talking about.

Cruz is a 35 year old with a huge injury history. What are you gonna do when he goes down?

It's not $7 million. Its $11-12 million. And we have other 1B.

For the record I think they keep Davis also, but I understand letting him go for financial reasons.

I think it's far from a no-brainer that Davis will stay on the team.

Mark Reynolds - age 28 - 457 AB - .221/.335/.429 - 23 HR and 69 RBI = option declined

Chris Davis - age 28 - 450 AB - .196/.300/.404 -26 HR and 72 RBI = ?

When Reynolds' option was declined, we had Davis waiting.

If they decline Davis' option, we have no fall back plan.

It's not $7 million. Its $11-12 million. And we have other 1B.

For the record I think they keep Davis also, but I understand letting him go for financial reasons.

I was talking about his potential raise, but for some reason I was under the impression he only made $3 mil this year.

It still isn't enough to warrant dropping him, especially after DD said we can expect an increase in payroll. We're not gonna get Miller, we shouldn't break the bank on the 35 year-old oft-injured Cruz after a career year. We aren't -- and shouldn't -- break the bank on any big names this year. I just don't get why everyone thinks a 1 or 2 mil payroll increase is that big a deal right now or that we really need to cut his current salary at all. If he can get back to his 2012 level he'll earn the salary. If he doesn't, it isn't enough of a commitment to matter all that much.

I think people really underestimate the possibility of a Cruz injury. If he goes down that still leaves a major hole in the lineup, no matter how you cut it.

Got caught. Twice. Twice. Has it even been detirmined that he had an active prescription for it? I bet that as a banned substance, he didn't.
Don't know when he got caught the first time. Could have even been in TEX. Any way it sure didn't help him any.

Unless you've been in another universe for a while, what makes you think Boras ever will let a player of his sell low?? He will most likely play here and be history the following year, if not sooner.

There's only one thing in the baseball universe more powerful than Boras. And that is the marketplace. The market will assign a lower value to Davis. And with a player in Davis's situation, I doubt Boras will have the leverage he would have had before...

Boras is a great (some would say evil) agent. But he doesn't have magical powers. The best he can do might be to limit CD to signing a one-year deal, to reestablish value. If that's the case, why would CD *not* want to play here another year, in the bandbox of OPACY?

I should add that if CD hits 39 homers this year and OPS's over .800... and we try to resign him after that type of season... he gone.

Going by that logic, isn't it more likely he is what he was this year instead of the 2013 outlier? He looked a lot more like the Davis from his Texas days that caused them to give up on him.

Look at his entire career, including the minors. And compare last year to his career MLB numbers. Texas made a huge mistake letting him go in that trade, and they know it.

And then they left Koji off the playoff roster.

Yeah, that had to hurt even more for Rangers fans. Andy MacPhail was a wily trader... Actually, a remarkable one. Turns out, he was just what the Orioles needed to rebuild the base. He just wasn't the guy to get them over the hump.

Archived