Resign Cruz and let Davis go

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davis would have hit 30 HR if there weren't a suspension. Even in his worst year he would have been second on the club. I think betting on him to do better next season, considering he had a .242 BABIP, as compared to a career .302, makes more sense than betting on Pearce to replicate an outlier career year.

The main reason his BABIP was so low this year is because he saw waaaay more shifts than ever before in his career. 83% of his batted balls were against the shift according to Fangraphs. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The main reason his BABIP was so low this year is because he saw waaaay more shifts than ever before in his career. 83% of his batted balls were against the shift according to Fangraphs. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

If he would just get it in his head to hit against the shift it would change. He could lead the league in OBP if he wanted. Like that wouldn't help the team?

I could go either way on Cruz vs. Davis but it doesn't have to be one or the other. Resign Cruz AND Davis. Keep Pearce on the bench or platoon him in RF with Lough. Let Markakis walk. Letting Markakis walk is the strongest position I have.

I fell exactly the same way. Signing Markakis makes us incredibly less flexible for a player who looks every bit in the decline. I will go as far to say I'll be pretty mad if we sign Nick long term.

I fell exactly the same way. Signing Markakis makes us incredibly less flexible for a player who looks every bit in the decline. I will go as far to say I'll be pretty mad if we sign Nick long term.

I guess you might hit the trifecta.

I believe the team will keep Markakis, and there is a good chance, neither Cruz nor Davis will be on the 2015 roster.

All I hear on MLB Network Radio is how every team is going to try to emulate the Royals. The 2014 Royals are the best team in the history of baseball.

No doubt. They are literally playing a new sport. It's not even baseball. They invented the perfect version of baseball. They can do no wrong.

In all seriousness, resign Davis now. He's going to bounce back, IMO. I would rather have him on the club for the next 3-4 years over Cruz. It's a classic buy low/sell high situation. Cruz will probably get overpaid (he deserves it after being wildly underpaid this year). I hope we aren't the ones who overpay. Davis could get underpaid... I think his terrible season (including the adderall thing, which I consider less offensive than PEDs) drove his market down.

I'm one of the nuts who thinks we should sign CD to an extension now if possible. Yeah, it entails some risk... but I would sooner bet on CD bouncing back to the mean over Cruz sustaining anything like his 2014 production.

I think it's far from a no-brainer that Davis will stay on the team.

Mark Reynolds - age 28 - 457 AB - .221/.335/.429 - 23 HR and 69 RBI = option declined

Chris Davis - age 28 - 450 AB - .196/.300/.404 -26 HR and 72 RBI = ?

Not a very good comparison. Reynolds's BA was .221, versus career of .229 (a meager 8-point differential). Davis's BA was .196, versus a career of .253 (a 57-point differential).

The same truth is clear from the rest of their stats.

Davis's year was an anomaly. Past performance is often the best predictor of future performance... I would bet on him bouncing back.

Davis's year was an anomaly. Past performance is often the best predictor of future performance... I would bet on him bouncing back.

Going by that logic, isn't it more likely he is what he was this year instead of the 2013 outlier? He looked a lot more like the Davis from his Texas days that caused them to give up on him.

No doubt. They are literally playing a new sport. It's not even baseball. They invented the perfect version of baseball. They can do no wrong.

In all seriousness, resign Davis now. He's going to bounce back, IMO. I would rather have him on the club for the next 3-4 years over Cruz. It's a classic buy low/sell high situation. Cruz will probably get overpaid (he deserves it after being wildly underpaid this year). I hope we aren't the ones who overpay. Davis could get underpaid... I think his terrible season (including the adderall thing, which I consider less offensive than PEDs) drove his market down.

I'm one of the nuts who thinks we should sign CD to an extension now if possible. Yeah, it entails some risk... but I would sooner bet on CD bouncing back to the mean over Cruz sustaining anything like his 2014 production.

Unless you've been in another universe for a while, what makes you think Boras ever will let a player of his sell low?? He will most likely play here and be history the following year, if not sooner.

Cutting Davis because of his crappy 2014 is about as ridiculous as giving him a huge extension after his 2013 season. He won't be as good as 2013 but there's no problem betting 7 million on him being better than 2014. I have no problem putting my faith in a HR hitter in his power prime. If he can work on making adjustments against the shift in the offseason, he'll definitely be fine. This isn't Jim Johnson we're talking about.

Cruz is a 35 year old with a huge injury history. What are you gonna do when he goes down?

Going by that logic, isn't it more likely he is what he was this year instead of the 2013 outlier? He looked a lot more like the Davis from his Texas days that caused them to give up on him.

Texas didn't give up on Davis.

Texas had Moreland and Beltre.

Texas GM admitted after the day of the trade that Davis may be an impact player.

With Davis it depends if he can correctly see the baseball. Hitting a baseball good is difficult at best. Hitting it with less than real good vision is next to impossible. His ailment must be addressed to allow him to have some more good years. Only MLB could screw around with a players career by first allowing him to use a medication, then say, oh by the way, guess what, in our infinite wisdom you cannot use it anymore. It is not just to expect him to bounce back in the traditional mode from an off year, but being allowed to receive some kind of medication to improve a real physical ailment. If he is allowed to receive proper medication, keep him, if not then trade him for something, anyway.

Archived