Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Seems like this is probably related to Kemp...either a leak to improve negotiating position with Nick's camp or an accurate report because they think they can get Kemp reasonably.

I like Nick and would have been OK with 4 years, but I do worry about him continuing to get slower.

I'm on board with Delmon for 2 years and Kemp at a reasonable (trade) price.

Hopefully Wieters is watching this as well in the event he's thinking about asking for crazy money.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of us who follow the Orioles and go to games regularly have always liked Nick Markakis. He's been a fan favorite and heavily promoted by the team in their marketing efforts. There comes a time when it's best for a player to change uniforms and I think this is the case with Nick. Due to injuries or age he has lost a lot of his power and bat peed that use to generate more doubles and a few more HR's. We need to look at the big picture and contracts for 4 years and longer are the big picture. We need more speed and run production in the lineup. We can do better with some other players that are available. I am not surprised by Dan Connolly's recent comments. If he leaves I wish him and his family the best.

But you said that DD would panic and Markakis would sign within 72 hours.

--I'm just messing with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one I'm GLAD to be wrong on.

Seems like this is probably related to Kemp...either a leak to improve negotiating position with Nick's camp or an accurate report because they think they can get Kemp reasonably.

I like Nick and would have been OK with 4 years, but I do worry about him continuing to get slower.

Hopefully Wieters is watching this as well in the event he's thinking about asking for crazy money.

It won't really matter, because if Wieters has a big year he's going to get crazy money...but it won't be from the O's.

The thing i like about Dan Duquette is he's not sentimental. Right player, right price. That doesn't mean he won't make mistakes. He said goodbye to Brian Roberts and he;ll say good bye to Markais if he doesn't get him for what he's worth.

I trust that Duquette has back up plans. BTW, one AL Scout told me, "DeAza/Alvarez platoon would outperform Markais offensively and defensively."

If LA will eat at least $35-40 million bucks of that contract I'd take on Kemp.

It won't really matter, because if Wieters has a big year he's going to get crazy money...but it won't be from the O's.

I'd be OK if he has a big year and asks. We'll go with qualifying offer and get the pick and move on. I'm a little afraid that he'll have a "would have been great but..." type of year and then ask for more than he should.

The thing i like about Dan Duquette is he's not sentimental. Right player, right price. That doesn't mean he won't make mistakes. He said goodbye to Brian Roberts and he;ll say good bye to Markais if he doesn't get him for what he's worth.

I trust that Duquette has back up plans. BTW, one AL Scout told me, "DeAza/Alvarez platoon would outperform Markais offensively and defensively."

Does this scout view De Aza as a RFer?

If LA will eat at least $35-40 million bucks of that contract I'd take on Kemp.

Interesting take on DeAza/Alvarez. I'd love to see a creative approach...but would also be OK with Kemp. And hell, Delmon if he'll sign for a reasonable amount. Cycle through DH and play match ups as needed.

Ultimately they are going to have to make a commitment to someone. You can be "not comfortable" with the lengths of these deals but in my opinion De Aza and Lough do not constitute a plan. Kemp could work but the Dodgers have to eat salary and I'm not giving up anything good for him, given how much he's owed.

Does this scout view De Aza as a RFer?

DeAza might have a below average arm for RF, but he would be an upgrade with range. Alvarez would be an upgrade from Markakis defensively overall. Alvarez has the best outfield arm in the organization.

De Aza/Hassan platoon in LF. Pearce/Lough platoon in RF. Sign or trade for a DH/OF type. Flaherty and backup C (Joseph) on the bench.

That would be a 4th place AL East team.

DeAza might have a below average arm for RF, but he would be an upgrade with range. Alvarez would be an upgrade from Markakis defensively overall. Alvarez has the best outfield arm in the organization.

Hmm, maybe they do something like:

LF De Aza

RF Pearce/Lough

Against righties

And

LF Pearce

RF Alvarez

Against lefties

I don't think you need to have a strict platoon with De Aza because his career numbers aren't poor, but you still want to limit his ABs against lefties.

Still need a DH.

Archived