Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strong market? Ha. We'll see. What happened to the Yankees? LOL

Markakis already is light in the power and speed department. Can you see him trying to pull a homerun in Atlanta or, better yet, SanFran. Toronto makes some sense but he'd be playing LF there. Have to think he'd be playing LF in San Fran as well with Pence in RF. I'd be happy to see him sign elsewhere but the two NL teams make no sense to me.

Another note i don't see any of those G.M giving him 4 years.

DD is a very sharp guy, so if he does something that looks odd, there might be a reason that isn't obvious to us.

It wouldn't really surprise if all along DD didn't want Markakis, but only talked to him because Buck and Angelos wanted him back. He could have been trying to find a way to weasel out of giving him a big deal and hoping someone else jumps in.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> still very much in the mix for Markakis. Duquette laughed off reports otherwise:"Rumors of our demise are largely exaggerated."</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It wouldn't really surprise if all along DD didn't want Markakis, but only talked to him because Buck and Angelos wanted him back. He could have been trying to find a way to weasel out of giving him a big deal and hoping someone else jumps in.

This occurred to me too. Although I wouldn't call it "weaseling" out. It's more likely he got Buck and PA to agree to move on if nick and his agent's demands exceeded budget allocations for him. Along with the departure of Cruz and the trade of Ubaldo, it would free up the dollars to get a guy like Kemp. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was DD's back up plan all along.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> still very much in the mix for Markakis. Duquette laughed off reports otherwise:"Rumors of our demise are largely exaggerated."</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

I love Duquette.

I'm serious. I could easily be wrong, of course, but I just think Nick knows he has no real intention of ever leaving. I almost feel like he'd sooner retire than god forbid have to sell his Monkton house and move somewhere else. He's that kind of guy. IMO.

Pretty sure he can afford to keep the Monkton house even if he is playing somewhere else. Heck his family could stay in Monkton while he plays in New York.

I'm serious. I could easily be wrong, of course, but I just think Nick knows he has no real intention of ever leaving. I almost feel like he'd sooner retire than god forbid have to sell his Monkton house and move somewhere else. He's that kind of guy. IMO.

I'm sure baseball fans all around the country think their guy loves their city and team and wouldn't leave.

And then they go take the highest offer somewhere else. Its a business.

I think if the Yankees offered him 5 years 50 million, Nick would have that house sold ASAP and already have his family in a house in the Hamptons by the time it did sell

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nick Markakis, 2012-2014: .279 AVG, .342 OBP, .396 SLG

Norichika Aoki, 2012-2014: .287 AVG, .353 OBP, .387 SLG</p>— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) <a href="

Pretty sure he can afford to keep the Monkton house even if he is playing somewhere else. Heck his family could stay in Monkton while he plays in New York.
I think if the Yankees offered him 5 years 50 million, Nick would have that house sold ASAP and already have his family in a house in the Hamptons by the time it did sell

FYI. The Markakis' are building a brand new house in Monkton.

Archived