I had an epiphany about Chris Davis and Adderall this morning

Frobby

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to hear from our posters who have used (or are using) Adderall about this. I have two kids who have Adderall prescriptions, one of whom is 25 and has more or less stopped taking it, and the other of whom is 18 and away at college. Neither of them is heavily into sports, but I'm sure they could tell me something about the effect, if any, on following the flight of a fast-moving object. I've always thought of Adderall as a drug intended to keep the user on task and not distracted, rather than something that sharpens your physical ability to perceive or react to a moving object.

I often take it and I usually get latched onto one task and I can't get off it unless I really try. The main reason I take it is to study for classes but i sometimes I get in a mood to clean the whole apartment and can't stop until it's done. I couldn't image playing baseball on it, it makes me feel I have to be doing something at all times

Sounds like you're throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Didn't say he wasn't taking it also for what happens on the field during game time, but more-so for what doesn't.

I was just trying to come up with a nice way of saying that you really have no idea.

As a personal user of adderall, I disagree, it would be equally huge for both offense and defense. With ADHD you have trouble focusing due to other things going on in your reality that you for whatever reason aren't easily able to filter out. IMO, defense is more instinctual than offense is, or perhaps hitting to be more specific.

The hardest part about overcoming NOT being able to take an ADHD medication after you have already had success while taking it is your confidence after failure. As a car salesman, it took me a while to prove to MYSELF that I could be as successful without the aide of a "performance enhancer". I still have issues in actuality, because I know no matter what, month in and month out that I would have probably done better, whether it means selling 1 more car or 5 more cars had I still been taking the medication.

Didn't josh hamilton stop chewing tobacco, a few years back, and his production numbers dropped significantly?

he did, he also went back to chewing.

In an interview, he claimed he didn't realize, he was drinking more coffee and then with his morning energy drink, he was over caffeinated.

He quit chewing tobacco last July 25 and suffered subsequent vision problems caused by excessive caffeine consumption. He missed three games in Anaheim in September because of blurred vision.

"When I stopped dipping, I didn't realize I was drinking more coffee," Hamilton said last winter. "I'd have an energy drink before a game and a Mountain Dew after it. My caffeine intake went way up. I was overstimulated."

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/02/sports/la-sp-0703-angels-notes-20130703

The question that I have and have asked before is when (at what age) did Chris first use the drug? If he got through the first 25 years of his life without using the drug did he (or his agent) just find a Dr. that would write a script to see if it might help his performance on the field. I'm pretty skeptical of an athletes "sudden" use of a known PED.

If he is indeed ADD or ADHD or whatever and had a LONG history of the use of a substance to help him, then I find it hard to believe MLB would not give him a TUE.

I believe also a team that has a player with TUE, they should be informed of the situation. Not necessarily the disease just that he has an exemption and be able to make sure he renews the exemption. I'd be pretty upset as an owner that if I am spending millions on a player that may be using a PED and it could be denied in the future.

Chris has been very closed mouth about it. Other than saying he made a mistake. What was the mistake? Failure to apply? Failure to have a legit diagnosis? Or the mistake of just being a cheat?

I am not comfortable with Chris until questions are answered. No epiphanies until that happens.

I believe also a team that has a player with TUE, they should be informed of the situation. Not necessarily the disease just that he has an exemption and be able to make sure he renews the exemption. I'd be pretty upset as an owner that if I am spending millions on a player that may be using a PED and it could be denied in the future.

Chris has been very closed mouth about it. Other than saying he made a mistake. What was the mistake? Failure to apply? Failure to have a legit diagnosis? Or the mistake of just being a cheat?

Chris says he will speak once his suspension is over.

You don't get to make your own JDA rules. Sorry. I postedy the whole agreement for eveyrone to read.

After reading the JDA document, it seems even more confusing as to exactly what Chris was doing. If indeed Chris had a previous TUE and applied for a new TUE and his application was then reviewed by the expert panel and was denied, then I can understand what happened and I can empathize with Chris in terms of him having a condition that he and his doctor believed needed to be treated despite the expert panel's view. There is a provision for appealing that panel's determination which I assume Chris would have done if he was being treated appropriately in his view and in his physician's view for ADHD. Any other explanation, however, would not make much sense to me.

Archived