I had an epiphany about Chris Davis and Adderall this morning

Frobby

Actually, the document says "MLB-certified clinician" NOT physician. The distinction means that you could have MLB-certified psychologist or social workers (who could not not prescribe medications) essentially saying to Chris's physician (who may or may not be a psychiatrist) that they believe he doesn't meet the criteria. The document is quite confusing.

It is a very interesting read. I think anyone who chooses to comment here should go read the whole JDA and then look at the situation with fresh eyes. I know it enlightened me.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about whether Chris' s bad season came from using Aderall or not. I do know that he has a lot of work to this winter and during ST to get himself together to have a decent 2015 season.

He better be good, or he will lose the other 50 million he was going to make.

• 2 weeks later...
"I haven't really talked a lot about it," Davis said during an interview with WRBS-FM, a contemporary Christian music station. "I didn't want to take the focus off what the team was doing, but eventually I knew that I was going to have to address it and I wanted to. I think the fans deserve an explanation. I think they want to know what happened.

"Basically, in a moment of weakness I made a decision that cost me greatly. And it just goes to show that no matter how successful you've been in the past, no matter how much stuff you have, no matter how strong you are in your faith, the devil is going to continue to come after you.

"Looking back on it, it was probably the best thing that could have happened at the time, but it was definitely one of the hardest things that I've ever had to go through.

"I'm at a point right now where I don't wish to ever go through that again, but I appreciate the process and where it has brought me spiritually."

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/update/24823521/orioles-chris-davis-expresses-regret-over-suspension

Well, that really cleared up the situation. It appears to me from this very vague interview that Chris was apparently not doing this on doctor's orders, which would put it in the category of substance abuse. He says "the fans deserve an explanation", but...."I am not going to provide them with one."

Well, that really cleared up the situation. It appears to me from this very vague interview that Chris was apparently not doing this on doctor's orders, which would put it in the category of substance abuse. He says "the fans deserve an explanation", but...."I am not going to provide them with one."

I am quite certain that no one instructed Chris to use the drug.

Back to the OP, I asked my daughter, who took Adderall for at least 6 or 7 years, whether she thought that taking it sharpened her ability to follow moving objects. She reacted as though I was out of my mind for asking that question. I realize that the drug could affect different people in different ways, but the idea that Davis started using Adderall again because the baseball looked like a blur is absurd.

Back to the OP, I asked my daughter, who took Adderall for at least 6 or 7 years, whether she thought that taking it sharpened her ability to follow moving objects. She reacted as though I was out of my mind for asking that question. I realize that the drug could affect different people in different ways, but the idea that Davis started using Adderall again because the baseball looked like a blur is absurd.

Outstanding Post. Outstanding daughter reaction.

My father the pharmacist talked with me about the properties of that medicine as well as it's predecessors that you and I were more familiar with. It's speed. But it helps some folk.

http://www.dexedrine.com/

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/04/the-lost-world-of-benzedrine/255904/

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p5rQHoaQpTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't you think Davis' description was more figurative than literal? That life itself was a blur, and the primary focus of his life is hitting a baseball. Maybe I'm going out on a limb, but I think a lot of quotes from ballplayers (actually, humans) are misconstrued as literal truth when they're really just kind of pecking around the edges of the literal.

I would love to see the PED demonizers demonstrate how taking Adderall in any way benefited CD's production.

Probably by letting him execute life on higher level. Just because you can't prescribe 54 milligrams to get out 17 extra homers doesn't mean it doesn't help. And I don't quite get why taking something like this is demonized. Well... I guess I do... people who operate at a high level without help have come to believe that those who can't do that without help shouldn't. Because drugs are bad. Just say no.

Archived