All time franchise rankings - looking ahead to 2015

25 Nuggets

Here's a look at how some of the all time Orioles/Browns rankings could change after some of our star incumbents put up career 162-game average numbers next season.

Home Runs

Adam Jones is 11th all time with 166 round trippers as an Oriole. Adding 25 to that number will put him 7th all time, passing Harlond Clift, Frank Robinson, Ken Singleton and Ken Williams.

Nick Markakis is 15th all time with 141 home runs. If he resigns and adds 17 more, he'll pull into a tie with Melvin Mora for 12th, passing Gus Triandos and Chris Hoiles.

Chris Davis is 22nd all time with 114 home runs. If he adds his average of 35, he will jump to 14th ahead of Triandos.

Hits

Nick Markakis is already 7th all time with 1547 hits. Adding 184 to that total gives him 1731 hits, passing Boog Powell and Brady Anderson for 5th place! Again, that is if he resigns.

Adam Jones is 21st all time with 1137 hits. Adding 171 more gives him 1308, tying him with Ken Williams for 17th place while passing Wally Gerber, George McQuinn and Mark Belanger.

Doubles

Markakis again is 7th place, with 316 doubles. Adding 38 gives him 354, passing Brady Anderson, George Sisler and Brian Roberts for 4th all time.

Adam Jones again is 21st place, with 198 doubles. Adding 30 to that gives him 228, passing BJ Surhoff, Rafael Palmeiro, Jack Tobin and Al Bumbry for 17th place.

Wins

The highest win total among current Orioles is Chris Tillman with 45, good for 45th all time. If he adds his average of 13 wins next season he will finish with 58 and jump all the way to a tie for 31st with Ben McDonald. Notable names he would pass along the way include Jeremy Guthrie, Tom Phoebus, Sammy Stewart, Ross Grimsley and Tippy Martinez.

Saves

We don't have much to go on with saves... but if Zach Britton doubles his 2014 total of 37, his 74 saves as an Oriole would tie him with Eddie Watt for 7th all time.

Good stuff, thanks. Pretty crazy that Nick could end up fifth all-time in hits for the O's after next year. Wonder if he has any shot at 3000 hits?

Actually, if he stays and has a typical season, Nick will be 4th, not 5th, unless you consider George Sisler to be an Oriole. So, the only players ahead of him will be Hall of Famers Cal, Brooks and Eddie. Nick is 533 hits behind Eddie, and if he signs long term, could catch Eddie at the end of 2017 or early 2018, if he stays healthy and productive. Cal is out of reach, of course, and Brooks couldn't be caught unless Nick extended beyond four years.

Here's a look at how some of the all time Orioles/Browns rankings could change after some of our star incumbents put up career 162-game average numbers next season.

Home Runs

Adam Jones is 11th all time with 166 round trippers as an Oriole. Adding 25 to that number will put him 7th all time, passing Harlond Clift, Frank Robinson, Ken Singleton and Ken Williams.

Nick Markakis is 15th all time with 141 home runs. If he resigns and adds 17 more, he'll pull into a tie with Melvin Mora for 12th, passing Gus Triandos and Chris Hoiles.

Chris Davis is 22nd all time with 114 home runs. If he adds his average of 35, he will jump to 14th ahead of Triandos.

Hits

Nick Markakis is already 7th all time with 1547 hits. Adding 184 to that total gives him 1731 hits, passing Boog Powell and Brady Anderson for 5th place! Again, that is if he resigns.

Adam Jones is 21st all time with 1137 hits. Adding 171 more gives him 1308, tying him with Ken Williams for 17th place while passing Wally Gerber, George McQuinn and Mark Belanger.

Doubles

Markakis again is 7th place, with 316 doubles. Adding 38 gives him 354, passing Brady Anderson, George Sisler and Brian Roberts for 4th all time.

Adam Jones again is 21st place, with 198 doubles. Adding 30 to that gives him 228, passing BJ Surhoff, Rafael Palmeiro, Jack Tobin and Al Bumbry for 17th place.

Wins

The highest win total among current Orioles is Chris Tillman with 45, good for 45th all time. If he adds his average of 13 wins next season he will finish with 58 and jump all the way to a tie for 31st with Ben McDonald. Notable names he would pass along the way include Jeremy Guthrie, Tom Phoebus, Sammy Stewart, Ross Grimsley and Tippy Martinez.

Saves

We don't have much to go on with saves... but if Zach Britton doubles his 2014 total of 37, his 74 saves as an Oriole would tie him with Eddie Watt for 7th all time.

Good thread, and excellent research on the history of the franchise from 1901-the present. Thank you.

If the Browns had not moved to Baltimore when they did, I believe that Baltimore would probably have a major league franchise by now, one way or another (either by expansion, or by another team moving there.)

However ...... it would not be the franchise as we now know them, from Paul Richards and the signing/drafting of Brooks Robinson in the earliest days after the move from St. Louis to the later acquisitions/signings of Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally, Don Buford, Frank Robinson, and company.

I'm glad that fate played out the way that it did.

I consider the Orioles to be a separate franchise from the Browns. I think the Orioles do, too. They usually only include Orioles statistics (1954 and beyond) when talking about franchise accomplishments. So, some of your rankings can be revised a bit. I've updated the numbers in your post with what they each would be if you took the Browns out of consideration.

Home Runs

Adam Jones is 9th all time with 166 round trippers as an Oriole. Adding 25 to that number will put him 7th all time, passing Frank Robinson and Ken Singleton.

Nick Markakis is 13th all time with 141 home runs. If he resigns and adds 17 more, he'll pull into a tie with Melvin Mora for 10th, passing Gus Triandos and Chris Hoiles.

Chris Davis is 19th all time with 114 home runs. If he adds his average of 35, he will jump to 12th ahead of Triandos.

Hits

Nick Markakis is already 6th all time with 1547 hits. Adding 184 to that total gives him 1731 hits, passing Boog Powell and Brady Anderson for 4th place! Again, that is if he resigns.

Adam Jones is 13th all time with 1137 hits. Adding 171 more gives him 1308, putting him in 12th place while passing Mark Belanger.

Doubles

Markakis again is 6th place, with 316 doubles. Adding 38 gives him 354, passing Brady Anderson and Brian Roberts for 4th all time.

Adam Jones again is 14th place, with 198 doubles. Adding 30 to that gives him 228, passing BJ Surhoff, Rafael Palmeiro and Al Bumbry for 11th place.

Wins

The highest win total among current Orioles is Chris Tillman with 45, good for 26th all time. If he adds his average of 13 wins next season he will finish with 58 and jump all the way to a tie for 17th with Ben McDonald. Notable names he would pass along the way include Jeremy Guthrie, Tom Phoebus, Sammy Stewart, Ross Grimsley and Tippy Martinez.

Saves

I consider the Orioles to be a separate franchise from the Browns. I think the Orioles do, too. They usually only include Orioles statistics (1954 and beyond) when talking about franchise accomplishments. So, some of your rankings can be revised a bit. I've updated the numbers in your post with what they each would be if you took the Browns out of consideration.

Yea, nobody really counts the Browns. There was almost no crossover in players, the Browns influence on Baltimore was completely gone by 1960. That would be a good trivia question I don't know the answer to offhand - who was the last holdover from the Browns playing on the Orioles? If I had to guess I'd say it was very quickly over, maybe nobody beyond 1956 or 1957. It probably helped that (and I'm pretty sure this is true) the Browns had one of those embryonic 1950s farm systems, kind of like the Senators. They didn't have the money or the inclination to buy up farm teams or try to be like the Dodgers or Cardinals with vast numbers of players spread across dozens of teams, so for a long time they just tried to survive with a threadbare system and buying up players from the few remaining independent teams.

It's Belanger, but it would have taken me a long time to think of him if I hadn't known that 1,884 was fourth - it made me focus on guys with 12+ year O's careers.

Yup. Hard to believe an all-glove guy played that many games, and all on good to great teams.

That would be a good trivia question I don't know the answer to offhand - who was the last holdover from the Browns playing on the Orioles? If I had to guess I'd say it was very quickly over, maybe nobody beyond 1956 or 1957.

That would be Willy Miranda, who played for the Browns in '53, was bought out by the Yankees and was then sent back to the Orioles as part of the big trade. He played with the Orioles until '59.

Only seven players on the 1955 team (after the trade) played for the Browns in '53: Jim Dyck, Lou Kretlow, Miranda, Les Moss, Duane Pillette, Vern Stephens and Bobby Young.

That would be Willy Miranda, who played for the Browns in '53, was bought out by the Yankees and was then sent back to the Orioles as part of the big trade. He played with the Orioles until '59.

Only seven players on the 1955 team (after the trade) played for the Browns in '53: Jim Dyck, Lou Kretlow, Miranda, Les Moss, Duane Pillette, Vern Stephens and Bobby Young.

Thanks. So Miranda was non-consecutive. It seems that Jim Dyck was the last Brown/Oriole to continuously play for the franchise when he was traded to the Reds in mid-1956. I think that confirms that the Browns influence over the Orioles was extremely weak and short-lived. Although I'd like to do some digging to see if anyone was in the Browns farm system in '53 who played for the O's...

Archived