Jones speaks out on Markakis departure (Per Sun)

MemorialStadKid

Nothing shocking, but the man is honest about his feelings on the departure of his good friend.

SOURCE: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-adam-jones-discusses-the-departure-of-nick-markakis-and-nelson-cruz-20141204-story.html#page=1

"He was talking about how it all broke down, and hey, I?m not mad at him. If you want to treat it like a business, treat it like a business and he made a great business move for himself and his family. As a teammate, I?m gonna miss him. But as a friend, I?m not going to see him as often, but I will see him and we will still remain friends. Nothing has changed except that we will be playing against each other. And I told him not to hit the ball my way.?

ON CRUZ:

I texted Cruz the other day. I said, ?Congratulations, man. You deserve it. I?m glad you did the best for you and your family. I?m going to miss you. I?m going to miss all that damn food you bring in. But I?m not going to miss all the 35 people you bring in every damn day [to the clubhouse]. I?m not going to miss that. I?m not going to miss your dad and uncle sleeping on the couches. I?m not going to miss that.? But, seriously, I?m happy for him. But this game has turned into a business. And with all the sabermetrics and all the statisticians and with all that going on, I think they are really using that as a platform for a lot of contracts. I?m locked in, so I don?t know what free agency feels like. But when you break it down and see how it all works, how the process works out, sometimes it?s the hardest decision in the league.

ON BUCK AND DD:

?Now we'll see what?s the move. This is something I believed in while signing a six-year deal. Now, it?s OK if you make a move like this; these are two big moves. If you look at it monetarily, these are two guys are getting $100 million dollars. So these are two guys that are eating $25 million a year business-wise. I don?t think that?s crazy for them, [the Orioles] might think that is. So, OK, the plan is me trusting Showalter. The famous slogan ?In Buck we trust, Baltimore.? So he has to have something up his sleeve, now we just have to sit and wait. It?s a long offseason. The winter meetings are coming, it?s a lot of things that are happening now. It?s crazy, though. To me, I feel like I lost my superstar teammate. It?s like I lost one of my core, but we?ll see what they?ve got up their sleeves.

MSK

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing shocking, but the man is honest about his feelings on the departure of his good friend.

SOURCE: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-adam-jones-discusses-the-departure-of-nick-markakis-and-nelson-cruz-20141204-story.html#page=1

ON CRUZ:

ON BUCK AND DD:

MSK

Funny that Jones says "But this game has turned into a business." Note to Adam...it has been a business ever since the days of John McGraw and Connie Mack.

Do you think part of it is the chemistry he had with Markakis in RF? He has moving parts in LF for a long time' date=' but he knew what Nick was doing on his left side. Now he has to adjust to different players, maybe on both sides?[/quote']

Undoubtedly. When you're in the outfield and in the middle of a crucial series or the game is on the line, you don't want to believe that you've got to "do it all." Jones doesn't seem to trust the O's LF guys too much as I've watched him argue with them after misplays or give them dirty looks from time to time.

He never did that to Nick. It seemed that he had supreme confidence in Nick and vice-versa. Now, he has to learn how to trust the new guys and not feel like he has to run for every single ball that's hit in the center-right gap. It must be unsettling for Adam.

I know he's as invested in the Orioles' success as we are.

MSK

ON CRUZ:

ON BUCK AND DD:

MSK

"He was talking about how it all broke down, and hey, I'm not mad at him. If you want to treat it like a business, treat it like a business and he made a great business move for himself and his family."

That says it all right there.

Do you think part of it is the chemistry he had with Markakis in RF? He has moving parts in LF for a long time' date=' but he knew what Nick was doing on his left side. Now he has to adjust to different players, maybe on both sides?[/quote']

What he knew is that Nick would never be in his way because Nick couldn't cover enough ground to get in his way.

Archived