Duke@MD 2/11

Pushmonkey

They won't lose at home to GT and MD.

We will see about BC this week. Duke handled them fairly easily already this year(after those guys were suspended as well). So, we will see but obviously, they are the underdog going into that game.

If they finish 6-10 in the conference, then we can talk. But they have beaten alot of quality teams this year...They have 7 losses now and 6 are to the RPI top 40(with 4 of them in the RPI top 30). The only team outside of that is GT, at GT and they are almost in the top 50.

Your delusion about this Duke team is absolutely wonderful. You aren't worried about GT or MD, two teams that beat your beloved dookies by double digits already? Or is that just because it's a home game, where dook has only lost to Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and Florida State there so far in conference play (and nearly Clemson).

Then of course there's 9-2 BC, current conference leaders. But you're not worried about playing them on the road because you handled them at home.

And then there's Clemson and NC on the road. Sure, those teams are ahead of dook in the standings, but that's no concern, this is dook after all!

8-8 at absolute, near miracle best. worse season in a decade. so unfortunate for dook. so unfortunate.

funny that you think gary should rip them a new one tonight after a double digit win. suprised that you could find a negative in tonight's performance. but i guess this team "only gets up for dook" like you said. thanks for your pop psychology on the psyche of our team. not like they've beaten any other good teams this season. :rolleyes:

(btw, is dook still going to finish second in the conference and get a #2 seed in the tournament?)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maryland fans tend to get excited over Duke wins, which I have no problem with. I'm just saying that beating a team with a losing record in the ACC doesn't mean that much. Maryland was favored by 2 in Vegas this morning. Totally agree on the Duke being evil thing!

Exactly. You're nailing it. They beat an average ACC team in a game they were favored to win. If it wasn't Duke there wouldn't be these claims of playing great and showing something diffrent than in other games. I mean if it was say GT or Clemson that they built an early 20pt lead up on and then won by 10 after letting the team back in before pulling away in the last 5 min I doubt there would be this much excitement and optimism.

Exactly. You're nailing it. They beat an average ACC team in a game they were favored to win. If it wasn't Duke there wouldn't be these claims of playing great and showing something diffrent than in other games. I mean if it was say GT or Clemson that they built an early 20pt lead up on and then won by 10 after letting the team back in before pulling away in the last 5 min I doubt there would be this much excitement and optimism.

Yep, the Terps fans should be happy that they won a game period against a decent opponent, especially considering how they've played of late.

Well, Vazquez made me eat my words tonight. He played great on both ends of the court for the entire game. Paulus again showed that he is too slow to be a D-I point goard. Scheyer showed that he can't create his own shot. And, MD played great team defense, rebounded well, and worked to get good shots. I'm tired of the "Duke is low on talent and experience" excuse. They have plenty of McDonald's All Americans (probably more than MD), and there are plenty of other young teams (like UNC who starts 3 fresh and a Soph). Duke just got handled by a team who worked harder. I didn't think the Terps had it in them, and they certainly proved me wrong.

Well, Vazquez made me eat my words tonight. He played great on both ends of the court for the entire game. Paulus again showed that he is too slow to be a D-I point goard. Scheyer showed that he can't create his own shot. And, MD played great team defense, rebounded well, and worked to get good shots. I'm tired of the "Duke is low on talent and experience" excuse. They have plenty of McDonald's All Americans (probably more than MD), and there are plenty of other young teams (like UNC who starts 3 fresh and a Soph). Duke just got handled by a team who worked harder. I didn't think the Terps had it in them, and they certainly proved me wrong.

UNC has alot of upper classman though, that is the difference. Duke only has one junior and no seniors. UNC has alot more than that.

However, the talent is there and at the point in the season, the lack of experience is less of an issue.

Bottom line is they looked terrible for 10 minutes tonight and that was enough for them to lose.

But they have played well lately....for the first 37 minutes.

Regardless of what people say about the Duke team that MD beat tonight, it was still a quality win on the resume. Don't forget, there's no mid-week rankings. This goes down as MD beating #16 Duke on the resume. I was never particularily afraid we'd lose this game, therefore I can't agree with those who suggest MD didn't play MUCH MUCH better than they do against team's not named Duke.

You are correct and this would infuriate me if i were a MD fan or Gary.

It is almost as if they only care about beating Duke and no one else.

But they are both playing very well today, that's for sure.

Exhibit A as to why I sometimes can't bear to watch this team anymore. If they brought that kind of game every night, they'd be a top-10 team right now. Just pisses me off to no end.

Again, talent is not an issue with this team. Mental effort and discipline are.

Your delusion about this Duke team is absolutely wonderful. You aren't worried about GT or MD, two teams that beat your beloved dookies by double digits already? Or is that just because it's a home game, where dook has only lost to Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and Florida State there so far in conference play (and nearly Clemson).

Then of course there's 9-2 BC, current conference leaders. But you're not worried about playing them on the road because you handled them at home.

And then there's Clemson and NC on the road. Sure, those teams are ahead of dook in the standings, but that's no concern, this is dook after all!

8-8 at absolute, near miracle best. worse season in a decade. so unfortunate for dook. so unfortunate.

funny that you think gary should rip them a new one tonight after a double digit win. suprised that you could find a negative in tonight's performance. but i guess this team "only gets up for dook" like you said. thanks for your pop psychology on the psyche of our team. not like they've beaten any other good teams this season. :rolleyes:

(btw, is dook still going to finish second in the conference and get a #2 seed in the tournament?)

Yes, saying you're not worried about GT and Md at home and then stating Duke will win both games is a pretty bold statement. One made more to boost up your lowering ego and self assurance in your team than actually not having any fear and being that confident.

Will Duke be favored to win those games? Yup. Should Duke win those games?? Yes. But when you are an under .500 conference team, with 3 home loses already, a probable 5 gm losing streak and your playing teams you've already lost to earlier in the year those are not automatic wins.

Ah, what a relief! Finally a win they can really build on. And they better build on it. I was impressed. Now they should realize that they have the talent to beat anyone - other than UNC - in the conference. Gist and Ebekwe continue to impress. I still think they need to get Jones out of the lineup and start the 2 frosh guards. Hayes didn't shoot well, but the team plays better and smarter with him at the point.

McRoberts was easily the best pro prospect in the game. I said last year, he's a better prospect than Sheldon Williams, and he's doing nothing to change my opinion. But other than him, while they're young - I don't see great upside.

Vasquez played out of his mind today, and I like that he's developing into a slasher/tweener kind of player, because that lets Hayes become the undisputed PG. Agreed that Gist and Ibekwe looked great - usually both guys shoot like their arms are in casts, but both of them shot very well today.

Again - where's this kind of effort the rest of the season?

UNC has alot of upper classman though, that is the difference. Duke only has one junior and no seniors. UNC has alot more than that.

UNC has Terry (Sr), Miller (Sr) and Thomas (Jr) who play actual minutes. Duke has Nelson (Jr). That doesn't sound like a big difference to me.

Vasquez played out of his mind today, and I like that he's developing into a slasher/tweener kind of player

I never realized how quick he was with the ball. I know Paulus is slow. But, Vazquez made him look uber-slow today. He just seemed to be able to take him - or anyone else - off the dribble at will. I hope that whatever got into him today can continue.

Florida State has gotten REALLY good lately, and almost knocked off BC today. To think it's a gimme at home is a bit over confident.
Yeah, I could easily see them losing that game, sad to say. Gotta think they'll have Straw guarding Thornton, and DJ will need to bring his A-game defensively.

I could see them losing every single game, or winning out except for UNC. This team is a complete enigma.

Archived