Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB believes this is a club issue. If Angelos takes hard line, unlikely that MLB forces Orioles to release Duquette from contract.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">January 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB believes this is a club issue. If Angelos takes hard line, unlikely that MLB forces Orioles to release Duquette from contract.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

Well no time to waste, Pete. Take that hard line and let's all move on leaving Toronto to it's brewing Canadian soap opera, eh?

Because they have no desire to be in court with the Orioles on two different matters.

I really hate the fact that some people are suggesting it's unfair or overly legalistic to hold Duquette to his contract. His original deal was a three year deal. If he'd wanted to keep his options open, he didn't have to sign an extension. He opted for job security. Let's say some other GM had come along who the Orioles really coveted. Could they have said, hey Dan, let us out of that contract because a better opportunity came along? Of course not. Do players get let out of their contracts when they outperform them? No. The whole thing is totally one-sided.

That said, I have a hard time seeing how keeping DD will work out well for the Orioles, when everyone knows he'd rather be elsewhere. That's not a good dynamic.

I look at it like what if another team wanted to do the same with Buck (yes I know different situation and advancement). Where does it stop in regards to other teams contracted personnel though? I'm all for honoring the contract and reevaluating DD's position with the Orioles. He certainly has earned some kind of promotion.

I think that it depends on what capacity that you work for the Orioles in.

To me, there is a significant difference between being a player, a manager, or a GM (all well-paid and prestigious positions, with $500 Million being the minimum salary for a rookie player) being held to their contract, and an usher, soda vendor, groundskeeper that works for the Orioles.

If Duquette voluntarily signed the 3-year contract to be the GM for the Orioles, then I don't believe that it is particularly oppressive to hold him to the length of said contract, even if he gets better offers from other teams.

I don't think that ushers, soda vendors, groundskeepers, etc. even have contracts with the Orioles for their jobs, but even if they do, then I believe a person that works for the Orioles in THAT capacity and with THAT pay should be allowed to leave if they get better offers for better-paying jobs.

Wow, no wonder beers are $10 a piece at the stadium.

Guest rochester
American beer is way, way better than it used to be. And extremely diverse. No matter what flavor or style you like, chances are you can find something to suit your taste on this side of the border and it will be very good.

Completely agree - but some will tell you that Canadian beer served in Canada, is better - twice the body (aka alcohol).:)

Guest rochester
Starting to think the job with the Blue Jays may not be everything it is cracked up to be, especially with the comments regarding the actual responsibilities, the new job would entail. DD can thank his lucky stars that Petey is so obdurate and distance himself from the Blue Jays

Yea, wait until they publicly look for a new CEO before DD realizes he will be asked to leave...:thumbsup1:

Completely agree - but some will tell you that Canadian beer served in Canada, is better - twice the body (aka alcohol).:)
Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz, a master of the econo-metaphor, has described the relationship between the Canadian dollar and oil in many colourful ways—as oil drops, the impact on the terms of trade might not immediately impact the dollar, but, “like walking a dog on one of those leashes that stretch out and snap back,” the value of oil and the value of the dollar will be linked.

The Loonie

It's very unlikely? How could their even be a remote possibility MLB could force a team to void a contract? Can a team void a contract if a player is a complete waste of money? Wonder what reasons they will use to block any Orioles trades.

It's very unlikely? How could their even be a remote possibility MLB could force a team to void a contract? Can a team void a contract if a player is a complete waste of money? Wonder what reasons they will use to block any Orioles trades.

The "Best interest of the game" clause is a great and mysterious thing.

As noted previously, I think folks are getting way to wound-up and reading way too much into the "MLB has contacted Baltimore about Duquette situation" snippet of info...
There is contacting them, and there is pushing them as Olney reported

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have heard this from other teams: Why is MLB pushing Toronto's pursuit of Dan Duquette, who is under contract with the Orioles?</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

However, MLB doesn't want to get involved in the discussion of compensation

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Update on Dan Duquette: MLB not actively involved in discussing terms of deal between <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>, source says.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

Archived