Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

What tampering? Have the Blue Jays said any of this stuff, or is it just rumors fueled by "sources?" My guess is still that the sources come from MLB, which would receive a list of candidates requiring their team's permission.
It could have been reported the Jays are trying to get permission to talk with executives from other teams. When you name the Orioles, it should be tampering.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bull. You sign a CONTRACT, you live up to it.

If some team decides they want Ryan Flaherty as their starting second baseman, a promotion from the role he has with the Orioles, can they just take him from us? No, he is under contract to the Orioles.

Dan Duquette put his signature on a document saying he would work in this job for X number of years. He could have asked for, and likely gotten, a shorter contract so he could look at his options after tha time. He CHOSE not to. He probably wanted the security of a long term deal, and the money involved being guaranteed (if we fire him before the end of the contract, he still gets paid).

Now you are saying that holding someone to their word and signature is somehow some legal technicality?

Players contracts are different because most of the language is COLLECTIVELY bargained. Management gets no such protection. Also, you are making a ton of assumptions regarding Dan and his deal (like the money in it being guaranteed).

We also have no idea what the discussions were between Dan and Ownership. Dan may have been under the impression that such a deal would not prevent him from getting a promotion from another club. As most team policies go.

Lastly, I would suggest you take a look at the Managers and GM's around the league. Almost all of them were poached from other organizations while under contract at some point.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Team president CEO jobs pay at least 1/2 more than GM position . A big market President-CEO $4 mil and up. (Friedman estimate $7 to 10mil)</p>— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) <a href="

">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And People wonder why Dan wants to talk to them. This is why.

Lastly, I would suggest you take a look at the Managers and GM's around the league. Almost all of to them were poached from other organizations while under contract at some point.
If by "almost all" you are talking about Boston's manager and Chicago's President and who else???

To be fair, he probably thought that was true.

Though, the Rays did lose two to poaching this year also.

The Rays didn't lose any to poaching. The Rays do not give their executives multi-year contracts, so Friedman was free to leave, and Maddon had a clause that allowed him to opt out of his contract if Friedman left. The interesting things was that Maddon didn't remember that about his contract. The Rays reminded him.

4:33pm: Twins GM Terry Ryan is high on the list of possible replacements for Beeston, reports Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Berardino?s source calls Ryan ?a great name,? but is unsure if the Blue Jays have requested permission from the Twins to speak with Ryan about the position, which would be a promotion. A Blue Jay official tells Berardino he ?would prefer Terry anytime? to the candidates that have surfaced to date.

Letters......

If DD really wants to leave it's going to happen, there's no point in keeping a disgruntled employee. If Angelos forces him to stay you can bet your ass every single move DD makes from now on will be questioned with the whole "if his heart is still in the right place" shtick. As for the compensation I really don't see anything of significant return. (ie Epstein to the cubs) Some fringe prospect will be sent the O's way and that'll be that.

The Rays didn't lose any to poaching. The Rays do not give their executives multi-year contracts, so Friedman was free to leave, and Maddon had a clause that allowed him to opt out of his contract if Friedman left. The interesting things was that Maddon didn't remember that about his contract. The Rays reminded him.

MLB is investigating tampering charges against the Cubs.

We will see how this plays out. There is a lot of discussion without much legitimate, verified information.

I will say that I am pretty tired of reporters getting away with crediting information to "sources" without any additional information. That's not just a baseball problem, but its pretty rampant these days in MLB particularly on Twitter. I get that a reporter can't reveal his or her source(s) because they would lose them but I wish we held these reporters to slightly higher standards. For example, it would be nice in this case if Rosenthal provided a little more clarity as to where his information is coming from. Is it from someone who knows Duquette personally and would be privy to his thought process? Is it from inside the Orioles organization? Is it from the Jays organization? Somewhere else? That would clear up a lot of questions surrounding possible tampering issues, Duquette's current thought process, ect. The way Rosenthal dispensed the information, it has created more questions than answers. It also potentially negatively impacts Duquette, the Orioles, and even the Jays. It seems borderline irresponsible to me.

Archived