Orioles interested in Seth Smith

Roll Tide

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if SD would have any interest in Flaherty? I have always thought he would be better off in the NL. Then the Orioles would have to replace him though.

With so many question marks - Manny, JJ's back problems, Pearce's wrists, and Davis's struggles - Ryan Flaherty is an extremely valuable player for us. I think he is such a good fit here, I can't imagine him being more valuable to someone else.

Before trading Smith, the Padres will probably wait to see if Kemp and Myers pass their physicals. Neither is a sure thing. If they do, Preller might be looking to use Smith to replenish his farm system, since he's traded a few prospects in the last week. Is Smith worth giving up a few prospects?

With so many question marks - Manny, JJ's back problems, Pearce's wrists, and Davis's struggles - Ryan Flaherty is an extremely valuable player for us. I think he is such a good fit here, I can't imagine him being more valuable to someone else.

I guess it depends on how much they like Navarro?

Before trading Smith, the Padres will probably wait to see if Kemp and Myers pass their physicals. Neither is a sure thing. If they do, Preller might be looking to use Smith to replenish his farm system, since he's traded a few prospects in the last week. Is Smith worth giving up a few prospects?

I can't see any team giving up much in the way of prospects. Some mid-level guys at most.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a> are loaded with right-handed bats, may have to hang onto OF Seth Smith just for a left-handed presence.</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I understand the desire to grade an offseason by quantity, but are they a better team?

I honestly don't know. Upton and Kemp should make the offense better, but neither are defensive wizards. They still have holes in the infield, and their overall defense doesn't look good. They look to have pretty decent starting pitching, but I'm not sure about their bullpen.

They have made a lot of changes, but I honestly don't know that they've changed their position in the NL West.

I honestly don't know. Upton and Kemp should make the offense better, but neither are defensive wizards. They still have holes in the infield, and their overall defense doesn't look good. They look to have pretty decent starting pitching, but I'm not sure about their bullpen.

They have made a lot of changes, but I honestly don't know that they've changed their position in the NL West.

I don't either. I'd still pick LAD and SF to finish ahead of them. Dodgers are always a good bet with Kershaw and the Giants are quite good too. I think a lot of SD fans are going to be disappointed when their overall improvement isn't that much from last year and they in my prediction will end up sitting out the playoffs again.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a> are loaded with right-handed bats, may have to hang onto OF Seth Smith just for a left-handed presence.</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="
">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Unless he plays 1B where is he going to play? He makes too much to be a bat off the bench. You don't aquire those 3 OF's and not start them 150 times plus a year.

Archived