Rotations in the MLB

twinedenter

Buster Olney ranked the top 10 rotations and the O's were not one of them. I find this interesting. Just off the top of my head, the Tigers? No Scherzer, Smyly, or Porcello, I think he is way off base.

Olney?s top 10 looked like this:

1. Washington Nationals

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

3. St. Louis Cardinals

4. Seattle Mariners

5. New York Mets

6. Detroit Tigers

7. Tampa Bay Rays

8. Chicago White Sox

9. San Diego Padres

10. Cleveland Indians

EDIT:

Here is the link to the article. It's an insider article. - Snutchy

Buster Olney ranked the top 10 rotations and the O's were not one of them. I find this interesting. Just off the top of my head, the Tigers? No Scherzer, Smyly, or Porcello, I think he is way off base.

1. Washington Nationals

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

3. St. Louis Cardinals

4. Seattle Mariners

5. New York Mets

6. Detroit Tigers

7. Tampa Bay Rays

8. Chicago White Sox

9. San Diego Padres

10. Cleveland Indians

The Tigers traded Porcello to the Red Sox and Smyly to TB for Price. I'd say their rotation is one of the best. This list isn't too off from reality in my opinion.

1. Washington Nationals

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

3. St. Louis Cardinals

4. Seattle Mariners

5. New York Mets

6. Detroit Tigers

7. Tampa Bay Rays

8. Chicago White Sox

9. San Diego Padres

10. Cleveland Indians

You really think the Orioles have better starters then those teams?

I think they are better then the Tigers at this time in the season without Scherzer. The Indians rotation is not all that impressive besides Kluber they have the inconsistent Bauer in there and Floyd who is coming off his 2nd major arm problem in the last three years as their number 4 guy. The Mets rotation is good but alot will depend on how Harvey comes back he will not be the same pitcher this season in this first year back.

I'd have been really surprised to see the O's on this list.

I agree with that because so many experts and other people are on the thinking you need an ace in the rotation and over inflate having one compared to a weak bottom of the rotation. If you compare the Orioles entire rotation to the Indians it is not even close to which one is better. The Orioles are as good or better in each of the 2-5 sports IMO.

I agree with that because so many experts and other people are on the thinking you need an ace in the rotation and over inflate having one compared to a weak bottom of the rotation. If you compare the Orioles entire rotation to the Indians it is not even close to which one is better. The Orioles are as good or better in each of the 2-5 sports IMO.

Carrasco and Salazar were about as good as any Oriole even in limited innings last year. The Indians starters also pitch in front of an atrocious defense. Basically any fielding independent metric prefers their starting staff by a decent margin. Kluber is also like a marathon better than any Oriole starter.

The O's had the 12th best starters' ERA in MLB last year. Adjust the NL teams +0.18 (that's the AL/NL differential, mostly due to the DH), and the O's would move up to 9th. I guess I don't find it too surprising that Olney ranks them outside the top 10.

I don't. I think we hit better than most, play better defense than all, and have a stellar relief corp to go with. Plus our starting depth is better than almost all of them. That's what I think.

I don't. I think we hit better than most, play better defense than all, and have a stellar relief corp to go with. Plus our starting depth is better than almost all of them. That's what I think.

The depth. I think we have pitchers who are closer to average quality but we have more of them.

Carrasco and Salazar were about as good as any Oriole even in limited innings last year. The Indians starters also pitch in front of an atrocious defense. Basically any fielding independent metric prefers their starting staff by a decent margin. Kluber is also like a marathon better than any Oriole starter.

Carasco was so good he lost his starting job last season after the first month that was worse then Ubaldo for 3 months in the season and then pitched out of the pen. He was very good the last two months as a starter but I wouldn't say he was as good as a guy like Chen who was in the rotation all season. Salazer had a poor ERA and also a low WHIP in his 20 starts. The two had a combined 34 starts and had three good months combined by them last season.

Carasco was so good he lost his starting job last season after the first month that was worse then Ubaldo for 3 months in the season and then pitched out of the pen. He was very good the last two months as a starter but I wouldn't say he was as good as a guy like Chen who was in the rotation all season. Salazer had a poor ERA and also a low WHIP in his 20 starts. The two had a combined 34 starts and had three good months combined by them last season.

I'm not sure Carasco is as good as Ubaldo.

The Orioles starters had three guys who finished in the top 20 in Whip among qualified starters not one other team in the American League had more then two. That does not include Gausman who is as talented as any of the young starters in the A.L.

Archived