Orioles Settle Arbitration w/Britton ($3.2M)

TonySoprano

Buck, shortly after he took over, used his bullpen in a nontraditional manner once. At the presser after the game he declared he didn't believe in the save rule, he believed in the win rule.

Since then it has been a running gag amongst some of us.

That was Buck's first game managing the Orioles -- Aug. 3, 2010. The O's led 6-3 going to the ninth, so if Buck had brought in Alfredo Simon to start the inning, he would've gotten the save. Instead, Buck left in Mike Gonzalez to face the first two batters (a lefty and a switch-hitter) and then brought in Simon to get the last out, so nobody got a save.

After the game, Showalter said: "Believe me, I know the save rule and, quite frankly, it doesn't carry much weight with me," Showalter said. "I like the win rule a little bit better."

That was Buck's first game managing the Orioles -- Aug. 3, 2010. The O's led 6-3 going to the ninth, so if Buck had brought in Alfredo Simon to start the inning, he would've gotten the save. Instead, Buck left in Mike Gonzalez to face the first two batters (a lefty and a switch-hitter) and then brought in Simon to get the last out, so nobody got a save.

After the game, Showalter said: "Believe me, I know the save rule and, quite frankly, it doesn't carry much weight with me," Showalter said. "I like the win rule a little bit better."

Despite what Buck said about the win rule. His closers have been on top or near the top of the leader-board for saves, that doesn't happen unless the manager keeps signaling for the closer in closer situations.

Despite what Buck said about the win rule. His closers have been on top or near the top of the leader-board for saves, that doesn't happen unless the manager keeps signaling for the closer in closer situations.

In hindsight it was a stunt. Meant to get the player's attention. And it looks to have worked.

Buck, shortly after he took over, used his bullpen in a nontraditional manner once. At the presser after the game he declared he didn't believe in the save rule, he believed in the win rule.

Since then it has been a running gag amongst some of us.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Would there be less to rip/negatives to point out for a small difference though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems likely to me. It's so little difference so that both sides just go through the motions. Let the arbitrators do the negotiating for them. Keep it friendly between the team and player.

That's one heck of a raise, of course ZB had a heck of a season.

It bothers me somewhat to see Britton getting essentially the same salary as Miguel Gonzalez. Gonzalez pitched more than twice as many innings, very effectively. But more important than that, Gonzalez has been a significant contributor to the team in each of the last three years, not just in 2014. He also has more service time than Britton. If you ask me, Gonzalez is being slightly underpaid, and Britton significantly overpaid.

It bothers me somewhat to see Britton getting essentially the same salary as Miguel Gonzalez. Gonzalez pitched more than twice as many innings, very effectively. But more important than that, Gonzalez has been a significant contributor to the team in each of the last three years, not just in 2014. He also has more service time than Britton. If you ask me, Gonzalez is being slightly underpaid, and Britton significantly overpaid.

That is the reality of closers, and the arbitration process.

Thank you for the recap. Appreciate it.

Archived