Orioles Settle Arbitration w/Britton ($3.2M)

TonySoprano

Still awaiting the numbers

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> have settled with closer Zach Britton on 2015 contract</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>britton, o's settle at $3.2M. plus 300K in performance bonuses based on games finished (starting at 45). <a href="https://twitter.com/masnRoch">@masnRoch</a> 1st</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">February 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is a fearsome number for a super two closer whose manager doesn't believe in the save rule.

He won't make it to arb 4 with the O's, might not make it to arb 3.

So in two year Mike Wright, Tyler Wilson or Tim Berry will get 30+ saves. That's baseball. Britton basically came out of nowhere and so will someone else in time. And he'll cost a lot less.

So in two year Mike Wright, Tyler Wilson or Tim Berry will get 30+ saves. That's baseball. Britton basically came out of nowhere and so will someone else in time. And he'll cost a lot less.

Trust me, I am not worried about who will be getting the saves in 2017. I was just pointing out the end game result of Britton breaking 3 million in arb 1.

Roch says De Aza was the file and go guy all along. Says they have no intention of paying over 5 million.

Roch Kubatko • 32 minutes ago

Gotta say a lot of this is on Orioles. Only have had limited discussions. None this week. Seemed to have already decided to file and go with him the day that figures were exchanged. Everyone remember when I wrote that at least 1 would probably go to a hearing? That's who I meant.

Odd. The guy they had the smallest difference with is the one they have decided to hold the line on.

The small difference is why there is no incentive for either side to give in. Neither stands to lose a lot of money in arbitration with the difference "only" being $600k or so. If they meet in the middle it's even less that either side stands to lose, just over $300k. Go to a hearing and let the arbitrator decide, there's very little for either side to lose.

Teams and players don't like to go to arbitration for a number of reasons. One, is that it leaves a bad taste in the player's mouth because the team has to point out all of the negatives of said player to make their case. There is little to lose by going to arbitration monetarily. There is also little to gain.

Would there be less to rip/negatives to point out for a small difference though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck doesn't believe in the save rule, you could have fooled me, or what am I missing here?

Buck, shortly after he took over, used his bullpen in a nontraditional manner once. At the presser after the game he declared he didn't believe in the save rule, he believed in the win rule.

Since then it has been a running gag amongst some of us.

Archived