If the Orioles stink in the first half...

Ohfan67

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bud Norris will not take a one year 16 million dollar offer without testing FA.

Who is going to give up a first round pick and give multiple years well in excess of 20M total to Bud Norris? Here are Bud's averages over the last 3 years and their MLB rank for pitchers who have thrown at least 300IP since 2012.

ERA:4.15(89th) FIP:4.10(82nd) xFIP:4.10(90th). On the open market with no QO involved Bud might get 3/30 with that QO on him the only way someone take him is if a GM goes brain dead like the Cuddyer to the Mets deal.

Who is going to give up a first round pick and give multiple years well in excess of 20M total to Bud Norris? Here are Bud's averages over the last 3 years and their MLB rank for pitchers who have thrown at least 300IP since 2012.

ERA:4.15(89th) FIP:4.10(82nd) xFIP:4.10(90th). On the open market with no QO involved Bud might get 3/30 with that QO on him the only way someone take him is if a GM goes brain dead like the Cuddyer to the Mets deal.

Ricky Nolasco, Edwin Jackson, Jason Vargas, Scott Feldman, Ubaldo Jimenez - all mediocre pitchers who got 4+yr deals. I think Norris can probably find someone to give him~ 4/40

Ricky Nolasco, Edwin Jackson, Jason Vargas, Scott Feldman, Ubaldo Jimenez - all mediocre pitchers who got 4+yr deals. I think Norris can probably find someone to give him~ 4/40

Heck a 3/30 is better than a 1/16 for a pitcher. Those arms are fragile.

You could double that list. There are many more.

Heck even Brandon McCarthy got 4 yrs/$48M. He could end up in the toilet easily.

I think that GMs have universally shown they will give up the pick if the player will play for a discounted amount. The problem with Drew and Morales is that they insisted on an AVV of the QO for multiple seasons. I am not saying it is smart or that a sabermetrically inclined mind would see it as even plausible. I just look at the history and say...yep, a 30 year old healthy starting pitcher with more wins than losses and a sub 4 ERA gets paid.

Archived