Rob Neyer and Baseball Prospectus Do Battle

weams

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/baseball-joe/blog/not-so-fast-matthew-lucroy-032515

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>please attack our work on the merits, but don't bad mouth it without reading it first.</p>— Harry Pavlidis (@harrypav) <a href="

">March 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And not only do we open our work for review (unlike BIS), we also present it directly to statisticians, not just baseball analysts.</p>— Harry Pavlidis (@harrypav) <a href="

">March 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Huh. That was weird. Just publicly attacked by someone whom I respect, and has my e-mail address, and gets a big check from me every month.</p>— robneyer (@robneyer) <a href="

">March 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Re-reading my little exchange with Mr. Pavlidis from earlier, I sure do wish I'd taken a deep breath (or six) before responding.</p>— robneyer (@robneyer) <a href="

Four different parties have a hand in determining whether a pitch is called a ball or a strike: the batter, the pitcher, the catcher and the umpire. Where past efforts to quantify the value of pitch-framing have awarded all credit to the catcher, the BIS team found that, indeed, the catcher is the most influential party, but the second-most important variable in the ball/strike equation is not the pitcher or the batter. It's the home-plate umpire.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Huh. That was weird. Just publicly attacked by someone whom I respect, and has my e-mail address, and gets a big check from me every month.</p>? robneyer (@robneyer) <a href="

After reading this tweet, I thought maybe Neyer was quitting OH.

Archived