Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Difference of opinion. I think many on here think his arm is better than it really is.

I'm sure that many do. I'm sure that there are others who underrate it.

All things considered (arm strength, accuracy, quickness of release, making the right decision about where to throw), I'd put Nick in the top 10% of outfielders when it comes to his arm. His arm strength is still a bit above average (and used to be stronger) but there are many guys with stronger arms. I think he excels in the other aspects I listed.

I'm sure that many do. I'm sure that there are others who underrate it.

All things considered (arm strength, accuracy, quickness of release, making the right decision about where to throw), I'd put Nick in the top 10% of outfielders when it comes to his arm. His arm strength is still a bit above average (and used to be stronger) but there are many guys with stronger arms. I think he excels in the other aspects I listed.

I know, going off-topic here.

My personal favorite for arm strength, was Joe Orsulak.

It doesn’t matter what type of break Snider got on that looper hit by Kiermaier, slow or fast. And yes, perhaps other right fielders would have been positioned better so that a diving play was unnecessary. But the fact that Snider made a gutsy decision to dive for that ball, with Rays speedsters in scoring position, and risking injury on the first day of the season speaks volumes to me. Of course it’s only one game but I like what I see.

With all due respect to one of the greatest Baltimore Orioles ever, Nick Markakis, I honestly don’t see him making a dive like Snider did under the circumstances. And just because I feel this way does not mean I am intentionally showing disrespect to Nick or lamely posting on a random play in right field. I am simply sharing observances of some of our new and exciting players on opening day.

I know, going off-topic here.

My personal favorite for arm strength, was Joe Orsulak.

Funny, I don't recall him having that great of an arm. He did have a ridiculous 22 assists one season for the O's (1991). But in RF I'd say Nick had a better arm and so did Ken Singleton. Also Reggie Jackson, the one year he played with us.

In CF, I'd certainly go with Jones, and T-Bone Shelby had a heck of an arm.

It doesn’t matter what type of break Snider got on that looper hit by Kiermaier, slow or fast. And yes, perhaps other right fielders would have been positioned better so that a diving play was unnecessary. But the fact that Snider made a gutsy decision to dive for that ball, with Rays speedsters in scoring position, and risking injury on the first day of the season speaks volumes to me. Of course it’s only one game but I like what I see.

With all due respect to one of the greatest Baltimore Orioles ever, Nick Markakis, I honestly don’t see him making a dive like Snider did under the circumstances. And just because I feel this way does not mean I am intentionally showing disrespect to Nick or lamely posting on a random play in right field. I am simply sharing observances of some of our new and exciting players on opening day.

[video=youtube;Sn39H-f2ddc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn39H-f2ddc

I don't understand that comment about Nick at all. He dove for balls quite frequently, and always seemed to make the catch when he did. If anything, the usual critique of him was that if he was a little faster he wouldn't have needed to dive as often as he did.

Funny, I don't recall him having that great of an arm. He did have a ridiculous 22 assists one season for the O's (1991). But in RF I'd say Nick had a better arm and so did Ken Singleton. Also Reggie Jackson, the one year he played with us.

In CF, I'd certainly go with Jones, and T-Bone Shelby had a heck of an arm.

We had Dwight Evans for a year.

Nick made that play all the time.

I don't understand that comment about Nick at all. He dove for balls quite frequently, and always seemed to make the catch when he did. If anything, the usual critique of him was that if he was a little faster he wouldn't have needed to dive as often as he did.

I am not questioning Nick's athletic ability or his capability to make diving catches. I do understand that he did that all the time. What I trying to communicate here is what goes through an outfielders head when he is faced with a risky diving attempt to catch the ball. With speedsters on base and the potential risk of injury early in the season I just don't see Nick, (as capable as he is), attempting that risky move. Especially since Nick could have easily fielded the ball on a hop and have a good chance of throwing a baserunner out with his incredible arm. Travis Snider, making a very aggressive and gutsy decision, dove for the ball and that is what I was impressed with. Again I will say I don't think Nick's decision, (given the circumstances), would result in a diving play. I think he would have taken the more conservative approach. This is, of course, my take on the play and all other opinions are graciously welcome. This is what makes this forum so enjoyable.

We had Dwight Evans for a year.

Jeez, I had forgotten about that. He actually was on the Orioles the same year that Orsulak had 22 assists, and he only played 67 games in the field. When he was in his prime in Boston, I'd definitely say he had one of the 5-6 best arms I ever saw.

Just like one of Snider's RBI was a big of a gift, Nick grounded directly to a drawn in infield with Eric Young on 3B. A routine grounder to the 2B and the 2B made the play and made a good throw. Young went on contact and simply beat the throw.

Saw that, and was surprised Young beat the throw. That's a fast kid (not really a kid anymore, he's 30 this season).

Archived