Orioles' Post-Mussina Wins Leaders

Frobby

It has been an awfully long time since this team had a pitcher who was consistently good for a long time. Mike Mussina won 147 games for us from 1991-2000. Here are the leaders who debuted after Mussina:

Erickson 79

Ponson 73

Lopez 60

Cabrera 48

Guthrie 48

Tillman 46

Bedard 40

Chen 35

J. Johnson 34

Gonzalez 30

That is fairly pathetic.

I'd like to think that Tillman can rise to the top of this list while he's still under team control, and that Gonzo can at least top Lopez (who interestingly, also was a Mexican League discovery). But shouldn't a team be able to produce a 100+ game winner once a decade or so? The Orioles have had 10 in their 60 year history, but nobody even close since Mussina.

And yes, I know, wins are a meaningless stat yada yada. But they are more meaningful when you are talking about a long period of time, as opposed to one season.

I was going to be all clever and impress everyone that if you're discussing an O's pitcher "consistently good", etc., then don't forget Gregg Olson and his 200+ saves in 6-7 seasons....but now I remember Gregg was drafted a year before (and not a year after) Moose....here we go, another year and more memory loss for me!

I was going to be all clever and impress everyone that if you're discussing an O's pitcher "consistently good", etc., then don't forget Gregg Olson and his 200+ saves in 6-7 seasons....but now I remember Gregg was drafted a year before (and not a year after) Moose....here we go, another year and more memory loss for me!

If you wanted to be clever, you could have pointed out that Arthur Rhodes debuted (two and a half weeks) after Mussina and won 43 games with the Orioles, so he belongs on this list. You also could have pointed out that "J. Johnson" doesn't give enough information, and probably leads to some people thinking of the wrong guy.

Archived