Ubaldo Jimenez Today 2015

Il BuonO

I only watched from the 4th inning on, but I thought Ubaldo was spectacular tonight. Very encouraging. Have to love it when he isn't walking anyone.
I am still in Michigan, visiting my brothers, who are Cubs fans. I got to watch highlights on MBL Tonight. The panelists were interested mostly in the Yankees. It was fabulous seeing Sebathia get knocked out in the 4th. They seemed rather puzzled that Ubaldo lasted so long and did so well (except for the one inning). Of course I was cheering rather wildly. I will br heading home Thursday on Amtrak (no more being tortured by the airlines). Even though the Os are mainly out of it, I will be at OPACY cheering my team on.

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am still in Michigan, visiting my brothers, who are Cubs fans. I got to watch highlights on MBL Tonight. The panelists were interested mostly in the Yankees. It was fabulous seeing Sebathia get knocked out in the 4th. They seemed rather puzzled that Ubaldo lasted so long and did so well (except for the one inning). Of course I was cheering rather wildly. I will br heading home Thursday on Amtrak (no more being tortured by the airlines). Even though the Os are mainly out of it, I will be at OPACY cheering my team on.

Nice, I was at Busch stadium on Labor Day with my brother and his in laws who are huge cubs fans. We went to Wrigley last season. I hear you on the airlines; everything with United has been a mess. Was supposed to make it to the mets game at nats park tonight but like you said, airlines. Flight to Chicago and Cedar Rapids were even more of a mess, will stop boring all with this.

There are certainly reasons to somewhat critical of UJ, but he has had 2 wins against the number one and two teams in the division in the last week. Shouldn't that get some notice? Buck is afraid (or maybe it's the players) to throw 40% of his staff against the BJ's, yet UJ goes against anybody. Whatever he does it will never be enough for some. He is perhaps the most interesting (and frequently frustrating) pitcher to watch, similar to Arietta. And, a pitcher that is capable of another good season in the future IMO.

There are certainly reasons to somewhat critical of UJ, but he has had 2 wins against the number one and two teams in the division in the last week. Shouldn't that get some notice? Buck is afraid (or maybe it's the players) to throw 40% of his staff against the BJ's, yet UJ goes against anybody. Whatever he does it will never be enough for some. He is perhaps the most interesting (and frequently frustrating) pitcher to watch, similar to Arietta. And, a pitcher that is capable of another good season in the future IMO.
I'm back from visiting family in Michigan. As for airlines torturing, the seats are getting smaller and smaller. They are packing in more people to make more profits. One of these days, when they need to evacuate a plane, the people will be burnt to a crisp. Maybe then they might do something about this. In the meantime, I've flown my last flight. I took Amtrak home and it was a lot more comfortable.

Back to baseball and my guy Ubaldo, it was very refreshing to see him get out of his slump. Every pitcher (and position player) will have their slumps every so often. I think that he'll do just fine for most of the rest of the season. I hope that DD doesn't get any ideas about trading him.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout, 1 Out Trying to Stretch a Single

UBALDO JIMENEZ O(vs. RED SOX, 9/15)

IP:. 5

H:;; 6 (1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:l) 4

BB: 3 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 91 (58 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2015 ERA: 4.31

* Jimenez also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

25 (14 Strikes, 11 Balls)

81 (61 Strikes, 21 Balls)

28 (16 Strikes, 12 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 21 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 61 Balls)

So what do you guys think, do we get good Ubaldo or bad Ubaldo today? Ewwwbaldo or Woo-hoobaldo? I'm leaning towards Woo-hoo!

Nine base runners in 5 IP? Eeeeeewwww.

Maybe the decent guy shows up next time and in the interim he can learn to hold runners close. Or not.

Nine base runners in 5 IP? Eeeeeewwww.

Maybe the decent guy shows up next time and in the interim he can learn to hold runners close. Or not.

10 base-runners in 5 innings (he had a hit batsman.)

I thought that he was squeezed badly in the inning that he walked a run in.

Not only did it cost him a run, but it also contributed toward driving his pitch-count up higher than it already was.

Even the Red Sox announcers (Remy and Orsillo) were asking where several of those pitches that were called balls were.

Not only did it cost him a run, but it also contributed toward driving his pitch-count up higher than it already was.

Even the Red Sox announcers (Remy and Orsillo) were asking where several of those pitches that were called balls were.

Yes, missed the HBP. Thanks.

Here's the problem with complaining about the strike zone. It doesn't matter, the other guy generally gets the same one. Even if you're a conspiracy theorist and believe there's some favoritism for Boston and New York it doesn't explain that tonight Jimenez was the only Oriole pitcher to walk a batter.

Yes, missed the HBP. Thanks.

Here's the problem with complaining about the strike zone. It doesn't matter, the other guy generally gets the same one. Even if you're a conspiracy theorist and believe there's some favoritism for Boston and New York it doesn't explain that tonight Jimenez was the only Oriole pitcher to walk a batter.

The umpires can also be inconsistent. I said that Jimenez was squeezed in that particular inning, not for all 5 innings.

The fact that the Red Sox announcers were questioning the calls would lend credence to the notion that the complaints are/were legitimate, and not just the grumblings of an angry Oriole fan and/or a conspiracy theorist.

The umpires can also be inconsistent. I said that Jimenez was squeezed in that particular inning, not for all 5 innings.

The fact that the Red Sox announcers were questioning the calls would lend credence to the notion that the complaints are/were legitimate, and not just the grumblings of an angry Oriole fan and/or a conspiracy theorist.

I didn't mean you were a conspiracy theorist, I was speaking generally.

I guess you're referring to the 3rd when the Red Sox scored, but Jimenez walked a batter in the 1st and hit a batter in the 2nd which the umpire had nothing to do with. Ortiz was one of his two walks in the 3rd to load the bases after striking him out in the 1st. It was almost a pitch around as Palmer commented on. The pitches weren't close.

Yes, he was squeezed (A LOT). But that said...not a good outing. At all.
I hate to say this (as Ubaldo's Grand Poobah), but you are correct. It wasn't a very good outing. That's the way it is with my guy, Ubaldo. With his delivery, it's frequently a matter of inches. I still say that he's still a work in progress. He is having to learn how to pitch all over again after his 2014 disaster of a season. He has to concentrate on the different delivery that Wallace, Chiti, and R. Martinez taught him. And sometimes, that gets on him, especially in the later innings. Sometimes, it comes easier, as it did during his 8 inning outing against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. But other times, such as last night, it doesn't come easy at all.

Archived