Ubaldo Jimenez Today 2015

Il BuonO

Fine. So skip all of my "Grand Poobah" posts.

I thought about signing up to be a Grand Poobah for the Brian Matusz Fan Club because of the beating that he gets on fan forums. But I realized that I only have time and energy to be a Grand Poobah for one player. Ubaldo was taking a worse beating at the ballpark than Brian, so I figured that he needed a Grand Poobah the most. The icing on the cake is that Ubaldo has actually improved from 2014. And it's not like someone waved a magic wand and -- poof! He was suddenly better. Instead, he worked his tail off during the off season, and even last year when he was in the bullpen. I like that sort of work ethic.

No player is going to be perfect. Zach Britton blew a save last night and Chris Tillman had serious problems last outing (maybe he needs a Grand Poobah). So does that mean that you'll write both of them off?

Dude, lighten up. The little emoji guys tend to denote a light hearted approach. I really like Jimenez, I'd like him to be more consistent. Please don't compare him to Britton.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine. So skip all of my "Grand Poobah" posts.

I thought about signing up to be a Grand Poobah for the Brian Matusz Fan Club because of the beating that he gets on fan forums. But I realized that I only have time and energy to be a Grand Poobah for one player. Ubaldo was taking a worse beating at the ballpark than Brian, so I figured that he needed a Grand Poobah the most. The icing on the cake is that Ubaldo has actually improved from 2014. And it's not like someone waved a magic wand and -- poof! He was suddenly better. Instead, he worked his tail off during the off season, and even last year when he was in the bullpen. I like that sort of work ethic.

No player is going to be perfect. Zach Britton blew a save last night and Chris Tillman had serious problems last outing (maybe he needs a Grand Poobah). So does that mean that you'll write both of them off?

I'll explain further. Matusz is actually a pretty good example of a guy who has taken his lumps around here.

Tillman is probably the guy I have followed closely since we acquired him from the M's. He's from SoCal near where I grew up and he had talent but couldn't find his groove for a long time. You want to talk about a guy took a beating, it was Tillman.

However, maybe because of my background in the game, I find it difficult to get too far away from being objective in my evaluation of the player. I still enjoy watching all the games and I know these guys aren't perfect but they are professionals. I don't write people off so much as think about what I would do to improve the team from my perspective.

I'll explain further. Matusz is actually a pretty good example of a guy who has taken his lumps around here.

Tillman is probably the guy I have followed closely since we acquired him from the M's. He's from SoCal near where I grew up and he had talent but couldn't find his groove for a long time. You want to talk about a guy took a beating, it was Tillman.

However, maybe because of my background in the game, I find it difficult to get too far away from being objective in my evaluation of the player. I still enjoy watching all the games and I know these guys aren't perfect but they are professionals. I don't write people off so much as think about what I would do to improve the team from my perspective.

I love watching Ubaldo pitch when he is good. And that has not one thing to do with any member of our staff or organization.

I hated watching Ubaldo pitch for Cleveland against us.

He's a funny guy, with a great personality and super duper stuff when the sun - moon - stars are aligned. I always said I would be hard pressed to find a guy to put up against another team's ace. I don't think he is cured or even all that much better. It's just that he is in shape this season I think.

Brian? It appears to be about his velocity and that change. And when both work, he's a force.

Tillman. Rushed to the big leagues in the lean years when we had no better options. It was like growing up on the

of the city. Pitch or die.

Dude, lighten up. The little emoji guys tend to denote a light hearted approach. I really like Jimenez, I'd like him to be more consistent. Please don't compare him to Britton.
Hon, you were the one who said you didn't like the light-hearted approach. Just recently, you stated.
I can but I won't like it.

And

Other people might say he "owes" us many more good ones to make up for all the stinkers from last year and the money that was paid to him.
You said that Ubaldo "owed" O's fans something because of his miserable 2014 season. Okay, you said "other people." Not sure which other people you are speaking up for. So I assumed that this was your opinion. And it wasn't particularly light-hearted.

And when and where did I compare Ubaldo with Britton? Which would be ridiculous. For one thing, the two have completely different roles. Ubaldo is a SP and Britton is a closer. All I said was that not all players are going to be perfect. And I cited Britton's recent blown save.

Actually, Ubaldo hasn't been bashed all that much here on OH. It's been mostly at the ballpark with all the booing him off the mound and also personal insults on Facebook and other places I've seen. Here on OH, players don't usually get insulted personally i.e. calling a player "trash" or "garbage" (unless saying that their play is "trash" or "garbage") or some names not suited to be repeated on a family forum. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's play i.e. "inconsistent" or "can't hit" or "he was careless in the field".

As for Tillman, he was beginning to get bashed on Facebook. Someone even wrote insults on Tillman's Facebook page.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Lineouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Caught Stealing

UBALDO JIMENEZ O(vs. METS, 8/19)

IP:. 5

H:;; 5 (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB: 4

SO: 6

Pitches: 94 (52 Strikes, 42 Balls)

2015 ERA: 3.97

PITCHES BY INNING

22 (12 Strikes, 10 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

14 (81 Strikes, 61 Balls)

33 (16 Strikes, 17 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 51 Balls)

o

Go get 'em, Ubaldo.

This game (and Jimenez' task tonight) somewhat reminds me of a game in 2012, when the Orioles were 46-44 overall having lost 6 out of their previous 7 games, and desperately needed a W to stop the bleeding.

In that game, they were depending on the capable, but very erratic Tommy Hunter to do the job. In fact, Hunter had just been recalled from AAA-Norfolk for that start, so it was rather optimistic for us to expect Tommy to come through.

Hunter threw 7.33 innings of 1-run ball that night, which started the Orioles on a 5-game winning streak to get them back into contention.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN201207180.shtml

KANSAS CITY ROYALS O(AUGUST 24th)

Alcides Escobar - SS

Ben Zobrist - LF

Lorenzo Cain - CF

Eric Hosmer - 1B

Kendrys Morales - DH

Mike Moustakas - 3B

Salvador Perez - C

Alex Rios - RF

Omar Infante - 2B

Kristopher Allen Medlen - RHP (1-0, 2.51 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

I look at their lineup and then at ours... it's going to be tough.

o

Go get 'em, Ubaldo.

This game (and Jimenez' task tonight) somewhat reminds me of a game in 2012, when the Orioles were 46-44 overall having lost 6 out of their previous 7 games, and desperately needed a W to stop the bleeding.

In that game, they were depending on the capable, but very erratic Tommy Hunter to do the job. In fact, Hunter had just been recalled from AAA-Norfolk for that start, so it was rather optimistic for us to expect Tommy to come through.

Hunter threw 7.33 innings of 1-run ball that night, which started the Orioles on a 5-game winning streak to get them back into contention.

I look at their lineup and then at ours ... it's going to be tough.

Oh, no question it's going to be tough.

I'm not suggesting that Jimenez is necessarily going to shut the Royals down.

I was simply saying that the situation reminds of the one in which we were in in July of 2012, where we were relying on a talented-but-erratic pitcher to get us a desperately needed win for a team that is hurting very badly.

o

Go get 'em, Ubaldo.

KANSAS CITY ROYALS O(AUGUST 24th)

Alcides Escobar - SS

Ben Zobrist - LF

Lorenzo Cain - CF

Eric Hosmer - 1B

Kendrys Morales - DH

Mike Moustakas - 3B

Salvador Perez - C

Alex Rios - RF

Omar Infante - 2B

Kristopher Allen Medlen - RHP (1-0, 2.51 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Do you think that is going to happen this year?

I look at their lineup and then at ours... it's going to be tough.

LOL yep...The Royals have a major league lineup and the Orioles don't

o

Go get 'em, Ubaldo.

Do you think that is going to happen this year?

Right this minute it doesn't seem likely, regardless of the outcome of tonight's game.

One thing that I am certain of is that you'll be here with your red pip, lauding your doomsday assertions if it doesn't.

Archived