Ubaldo Jimenez Today 2015

Il BuonO

ubaldo is a nice guy but still a work in progress. In 11 of his 21 starts he has pitched 5 innings or less. Road record 2-5 with a 5.25 ERA. Usually real good at home.

Of which two of those 5 or less when he was wrongly ejected and Buck jumped the gun and pinch hit for him against Mets.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ubaldo needs to warm up more. He keeps giving up crooked numbers in the first inning.

He did settle down after the first. The 5th inning was just rotten luck and lousy defense--bloop hit, awful throw by Chris Davis, bleeder that got under Schoop's glove, misjudged line drive by Adam Jones.

And all those runs in the 5th went to Ubaldo instead of the Defense.. Scorekeepers have to give errors to misjudged liners and flyballs that it was obvious blown OF reads. Jones had 3 steps in before he even realized it. That was bad and Ubaldo got dinged for it.

And all those runs in the 5th went to Ubaldo instead of the Defense.. Scorekeepers have to give errors to misjudged liners and flyballs that it was obvious blown OF reads. Jones had 3 steps in before he even realized it. That was bad and Ubaldo got dinged for it.

We can agree on this. Errors are never called. Detriot ,third baseman bobbles the ball and it is a hit. They never do on balls lost in the sign or guys falling down. Jones broke in on that ball and was playing shallow as always. Once he broke in on the ball he had no chance. i am not sure if he still would have caught it breaking back and how shallow he was.

Throw another one on the big pile of examples of why it is silly to have the scorer try to break down runs into earned and unearned, and also to assign errors in such a way that obvious mistakes are not errors. I can't really fault a bunch of dead guys from 120 years ago, they were making stuff up as they went. But they should have made their baseline rule something like "just write down what happened, we'll figure out who to credit or blame later".

o

24 OUTS: 8 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 6 Strikeouts, 4 Lineouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Flyouts

UBALDO JIMENEZ O(vs. ANGELS, 8/08)

IP:. 8

H:;; 2 (1 Double, 1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB: 1 *

SO: 6

Pitches: 118 (76 Strikes, 42 Balls)

2015 ERA: 3.79

* Jimenez also Had 2 Hit Batsmen

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (12 Strikes, 8 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

17 (81 Strikes, 9 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

71 (51 Strikes, 2 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 5 Balls)

In the third inning I feared Ubaldo wouldn't make it through 6 innings. He had one out and had thrown 50 pitches. Then he got a DP on the next pitch and he ended up going 8 innings. I was a little surprised Buck brought him out for the 8th, but he has an extra day's rest before his next start.

I wasn't very worried about Ubaldo. He's bounced back before and I knew that he'd bounce back again. EVery SP has their games, and even their losing streaks every so often. I'm sure that Wallace and Chiti helped him to get back to his old form again.

What was interesting during the broadcast on TV: Ubaldo was pitching a no-hitter through the 6th. During the 4th inning, the camera showed Ubaldo sitting by himself and Palmer said, "well, seeing all those zeroes makes him want to sit alone and concentrate." Shortly after this comment, Orioles hitters scored a couple of runs and Ubaldo was on his feet, greeting the O's batters and generally bouncing around.

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

Does anyone consider Game Scores on mlb.com worthy of noting? I don't know, maybe they're too basic or arbitrary or subjective, but tonight's start by Ubaldo (83) was the second best this season by an Oriole, by Game Score. Only Tillman's 87 in Detroit on July 18 bested it.

Most definitely still a work in progress. Many people might think that he's his old, inconsistent self from before. However, what is different than before is his BB/9 IP ratio. However, he still loses command of his fastball because some of those pitches which used to be balls are now over the plate -- where opposing batters can hit them. He still needs to work on his secondary pitches and also, as I said, his fastball command sometimes slips away. So as Wallace, Chiti, and R. Martinez work with him the rest of the season, he'll have some good outings and a few not-so-good outings. But he'll get better. Ubaldo came back from the utter disaster of his last season. He can finish the job, though it's going to take hard work and time.

At the post game interview, Ubaldo kept saying, "I threw too many pitches." But he was very happy that the Orioles won.

And I'm still the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

Most definitely still a work in progress. Many people might think that he's his old, inconsistent self from before. However, what is different than before is his BB/9 IP ratio. However, he still loses command of his fastball because some of those pitches which used to be balls are now over the plate -- where opposing batters can hit them. He still needs to work on his secondary pitches and also, as I said, his fastball command sometimes slips away. So as Wallace, Chiti, and R. Martinez work with him the rest of the season, he'll have some good outings and a few not-so-good outings. But he'll get better. Ubaldo came back from the utter disaster of his last season. He can finish the job, though it's going to take hard work and time.

At the post game interview, Ubaldo kept saying, "I threw too many pitches." But he was very happy that the Orioles won.

Man, you're really beating that dead horse into the ground. And in case you hadn't noticed the season is rapidly closing to an end. If he's a work in progress then he really doesn't have the time needed necessary to perform the hard work. It really comes down to performance and he's been inconsistent of late.

Other people might say he "owes" us many more good ones to make up for all the stinkers from last year and the money that was paid to him.

Man, you're really beating that dead horse into the ground. And in case you hadn't noticed the season is rapidly closing to an end. If he's a work in progress then he really doesn't have the time needed necessary to perform the hard work. It really comes down to performance and he's been inconsistent of late.

Other people might say he "owes" us many more good ones to make up for all the stinkers from last year and the money that was paid to him.

When I say "work in progress," I'm talking about not just this season, but through the winter and into next spring and perhaps longer.

Yes, he stunk last year. It's not like he wanted to stink and get booed all the time. So are you going to always hold this over his head, no matter what he does, for not just this year but for the rest of his contract (next year and the year after)? It's interesting that some fans will blame Ubaldo for his 2014 season, and yet not blame DD at all for signing him in the first place. Myself, when the signing was done, I wasn't so sure myself about the wisdom of it. But it's done and I don't want to beat that dead horse any longer.

As for being a Grand Poobah, the guy had taken quite a beating last year so I'm just trying to lighten up things a bit and be a good fan for ALL of our Orioles; Can you deal with that, or must you continue to be so serious?

As for being a Grand Poobah, the guy had taken quite a beating last year so I'm just trying to lighten up things a bit and be a good fan for ALL of our Orioles; Can you deal with that, or must you continue to be so serious?

I can but I won't like it. :slytf:

Be in his fan club. One of the nicest Oriole players. I still hold out hope that he will have a really good year in the future. Nice guy maybe finish first.

I can but I won't like it. :slytf:
Fine. So skip all of my "Grand Poobah" posts.

I thought about signing up to be a Grand Poobah for the Brian Matusz Fan Club because of the beating that he gets on fan forums. But I realized that I only have time and energy to be a Grand Poobah for one player. Ubaldo was taking a worse beating at the ballpark than Brian, so I figured that he needed a Grand Poobah the most. The icing on the cake is that Ubaldo has actually improved from 2014. And it's not like someone waved a magic wand and -- poof! He was suddenly better. Instead, he worked his tail off during the off season, and even last year when he was in the bullpen. I like that sort of work ethic.

No player is going to be perfect. Zach Britton blew a save last night and Chris Tillman had serious problems last outing (maybe he needs a Grand Poobah). So does that mean that you'll write both of them off?

Archived