The Defense Thread, 2015

OFFNY

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. AJ didn't run 18.3 mph on that entire play, he ran that at his top speed on the play. So I don't think you can extrapolate that to a 40-yard dash time, since you are starting a 40-yard dash from a standing start. Maybe he could run a 4.47 40-yard dash, and maybe he couldn't, but his top speed on this play doesn't tell you one way or the other. (My guess would be that he's a little slower than a top NFL running back, but I certainly don't know that.)

FWIW, Usain Bolt's average speed in his record setting 100 meter dash was 23.35 mph, and his top speed for any 10 meter segment was 27.28 mph. The first 10 meters, his speed was only 12.09 mph.

http://datagenetics.com/blog/july32013/index.html

Since, as I said, humans reach maximum acceleration at about 40 yards and since AJ didn't run 40 yards on that play, but yet reached a maximum acceleration rate of 18.3mph( 4.47/40 sec for a 40 yard dash) on that play he must be even faster. He also started that play from a standstill.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since, as I said, humans reach maximum acceleration at about 40 yards and since AJ didn't run 40 yards on that play, but yet reached a maximum acceleration rate of 18.3mph( 4.47/40 sec for a 40 yard dash) on that play he must be even faster. He also started that play from a standstill.

A few things. First, let's keep "acceleration" and "acceleration rate" out of this. Acceleration and speed are two different things entirely. Acceleration measures changes in speed, not speed. Second, I agree with you that Adam can probably run faster than 18.3 mph at top speed. But the fact that he reached a top speed of 18.3 mph tells you nothing at all about what time he'd run in a 40-yard dash, because the first 10 yards are much slower than everything else. Just look at Bolt:

1st 10 meters: 1.85 seconds (12.09 mph)

2nd 10 meters: 1.02 seconds (21.93 mph)

3rd 10 meters: 0.91 seconds (24.58 mph)

4th 10 meters: 0.87 seconds (25.71 mph)

Note this is meters, not yards. It translates to about 4.29 seconds for the first 40 yards. For a 4.47 equivalent, you'd expect the person to be running 21.05 mph in the second ten yards, 23.59 mph in the 3rd ten yards, and 24.67 mph in the final ten yards. Adam's 18.3 mph reacting to a fly ball doesn't tell me anything at all about what his top speed might be at those distances. Maybe he could reach them, and maybe not. I tend to think not.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to FanGraphs, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> outfielders rank second in the majors with

a DFS (defensive runs saved) rating of 20</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

According to FanGraphs,
#orioles
outfielders rank second in the majors with
a DFS (defensive runs saved) rating of 20
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch)
June 11, 2015

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2nd is a pretty darn good place to be, with only one GG daily starter and a mess of platoon bodies.

A few things. First, let's keep "acceleration" and "acceleration rate" out of this. Acceleration and speed are two different things entirely. Acceleration measures changes in speed, not speed. Second, I agree with you that Adam can probably run faster than 18.3 mph at top speed. But the fact that he reached a top speed of 18.3 mph tells you nothing at all about what time he'd run in a 40-yard dash, because the first 10 yards are much slower than everything else. Just look at Bolt:

1st 10 meters: 1.85 seconds (12.09 mph)

2nd 10 meters: 1.02 seconds (21.93 mph)

3rd 10 meters: 0.91 seconds (24.58 mph)

4th 10 meters: 0.87 seconds (25.71 mph)

Note this is meters, not yards. It translates to about 4.29 seconds for the first 40 yards. For a 4.47 equivalent, you'd expect the person to be running 21.05 mph in the second ten yards, 23.59 mph in the 3rd ten yards, and 24.67 mph in the final ten yards. Adam's 18.3 mph reacting to a fly ball doesn't tell me anything at all about what his top speed might be at those distances. Maybe he could reach them, and maybe not. I tend to think not.

Am I right in assuming the 18.3mph number is the top speed he achieved during the play or are you saying that was his average speed for the play? If average I 'd say I didn't notice him varying his speed during the play. He seemed to continue to accelerate from a standstill until he dove. If it was his top speed and he reached it in less than 40 yards I would assume his 40 yard pace would be faster.

There are roughly a zillion reasons why it's not valid to compare AJ and Bolt. Different sports, different situation. The more valid comparison is between AJ and other outfielders with Statcast data. From the list, it looks to me that Billy Hamilton is the fastest man in baseball.

I googled to see if there was ever a number published anywhere for AJ's 40 time, but the only thing that comes up is Pacman Jones from the NFL.

Am I right in assuming the 18.3mph number is the top speed he achieved during the play or are you saying that was his average speed for the play? If average I 'd say I didn't notice him varying his speed during the play. He seemed to continue to accelerate from a standstill until he dove. If it was his top speed and he reached it in less than 40 yards I would assume his 40 yard pace would be faster.

Top speed. Obviously, he started much slower. I don't know how much total distance was covered on the play. If I had to guess, I'd say 20-25 yards.

June 11

- Great backhand catch by Reimold chasing a ball tailing into the corner.

- Excellent backhand stab and throw by Manny

- Barehanded pick up and throw by Manny

On what could have been the final play of the game, Manny picked up a slow roller and threw to first, but the runner was called safe after a replay. Thorne commented that Manny may have misjudged the speed of the runner, but I didn't think so.

Reimold had eight putouts, high for an Orioles OF this year, and generally looked really comfortable. I think he's getting the best jumps I've ever seen him get.

I have to say, the Sox had some nice defensive plays from Pedroia and Bogaerts tonight, though the Panda let a Jones hit get past his backhand that Manny probably fields 95% of the time.

Archived