For What it's worth.....

Belkast

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see why the Indians would put Marte on the table but could anyone tell me why on earth we would we want him?

In hopes that he can reach some of the potential he once had. In 2006, just 2 years ago, he was a borderline top 10 prospect. You don't just lose that potential. Plus, he is still just 24 so he has plenty of time to try to reach it. We're not saying he would be the key piece in a deal, just it would be nice to have him as part of it.

In hopes that he can reach some of the potential he once had. In 2006, just 2 years ago, he was a borderline top 10 prospect. You don't just lose that potential. Plus, he is still just 24 so he has plenty of time to try to reach it. We're not saying he would be the key piece in a deal, just it would be nice to have him as part of it.

I really think that you are overlooking that he has no options left. We don't have room on our 25-man roster for him. We have too many corner/DH guys as it is to consider taking on a reclamation project like Marte.

Corey Patterson did. I guess you could say he still has that potential, but it doesn't seem like anyone's bidding on his services.

I really think that you are overlooking that he has no options left. We don't have room on our 25-man roster for him. We have too many corner/DH guys as it is to consider taking on a reclamation project like Marte.

I wouldn't be surprised if we dealt one of Millar/Huff/Gibbons/etc. Not to mention, I'd personally rather see him at 3B than Mora.

I was high on Marte - 3 years ago. Not today and certainly not for an All-Star caliber player like Roberts. If Miller and another prime prospect were the 1st and 2nd pieces in a trade and we take a flier on Marte, okay (not good, just okay). But that's the only way I take him.

Corey Patterson did. I guess you could say he still has that potential, but it doesn't seem like anyone's bidding on his services.

I meant that you just don't completely lose it over 2 years. It took the Cubs over 4 years before they decided to give up on Patterson.

Look, odds are Marte never reaches that potential. If he can re-gain some of it and hit .260/20/80, he would be a good player to have on the team.

I was high on Marte - 3 years ago. Not today and certainly not for an All-Star caliber player like Roberts. If Miller and another prime prospect were the 1st and 2nd pieces in a trade and we take a flier on Marte, okay (not good, just okay). But that's the only way I take him.

That's all I've been saying. Make him the 3rd player, maybe even 4th. But he's not a bad guy to take a flier on. Class buy-low candidate which is exactly what we need to be going after at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if we dealt one of Millar/Huff/Gibbons/etc. Not to mention, I'd personally rather see him at 3B than Mora.

If we added Marte, we'd have to trade at least 2 now, not at the deadline. If we could trade Gibbons, we would have already. We have 4 bench spots. One is our back up catcher. Both Moore and Costanzo would have to go down if we kept Marte and we'd still be strapped on the bench. We do not have room for Marte, and I wouldn't want him even if we did. The players the Cubs are rumored to be offering are preferable to Marte, IMO.

I think it's clear now that he didn't have potential, he had tools, which is just an amorphous word the low minors (especially) uses because they haven't anything else to project with. However, his numbers have never amounted to much and go further south as he progresses upward. He's still got the tools but we can now see he doesn't have much potential. He's not even an interesting science project now. Classic tools, classic bust.

If we added Marte, we'd have to trade at least 2 now, not at the deadline. If we could trade Gibbons, we would have already. We have 4 bench spots. One is our back up catcher. Both Moore and Costanzo would have to go down if we kept Marte and we'd still be strapped on the bench. We do not have room for Marte, and I wouldn't want him even if we did. The players the Cubs are rumored to be offering are preferable to Marte, IMO.

Well Marte is the 3rd of 4th player in the deal. He would not, by any means, head the package. The first 2 players, I would imagine, would be a pitcher and a MI (Barfield, Peralta, or Cabrera but most likely Barfield). There may even be another pitcher involved before Marte joins the deal. Plus I'd rather see Marte than Moore/Costanzo.

If we were offered Laffey, Barfield, Huff, and Marte for Roberts, which I think is a very fair offer, Marte would only be the 3rd player. Even if he didn't work out here, then we'd still 2 solid pitching prospects (Laffey, Huff) and a 2B replacement (at least temporarily) for Roberts.

I think it's clear now that he didn't have potential, he had tools, which is just an amorphous word the low minors (especially) uses because they haven't anything else to project with. However, his numbers have never amounted to much and go further south as he progresses upward. He's still got the tools but we can now see he doesn't have much potential. He's not even an interesting science project now. Classic tools, classic bust.

How can you completely a bust already? He's only 24 years old. He definitely hasn't done very well the past 2 years, but even his bad has been a .773 and .766 OPS the past 2 years in AAA, respectively. He's also hit 37 HR's over the past 2 years between AAA and the Majors. He won't reach the potential he once had, but him being a 20 HR guy with a decent BA/OBP is not out of the question. He isn't a bust...yet.

At this point, with Rowell, Snyder, Kolodny, Moore and Costanzo in the organziation, I see absolutely no reason to add Marte. Moore is better now, Costanzo is at least as good, and Rowell/Snyder/Kolodny could all be much better, in time.

Actually, Melvin Mora is better.

Another puffed up Braves prospect, IMO.

To me, the last thing we want to be doing in a trade involving Roberts is to be taking on another team's dead weight, We have way more dead weight than we need already. Names like Cliff Lee and Marte from Cleveland or Marquis from Chicago just should not be part of any package we are trading Brian Roberts for IMO. One of our objectives in any such trade should be to try to include some of our excess baggage in the deal, not to be adding more.

To me, the last thing we want to be doing in a trade involving Roberts is to be taking on another team's dead weight, We have way more dead weight than we need already. Names like Cliff Lee and Marte from Cleveland or Marquis from Chicago just should not be part of any package we are trading Brian Roberts for IMO. One of our objectives in any such trade should be to try to include some of our excess baggage in the deal, not to be adding more.

Marte is not in the same league, in terms of dead weight as Cliff Lee and Jason Marquis. Both of them are over-priced veterans. Marte is just older than a rookie, still has decent potential, and is making the league minimum. He's a good 3rd or 4th piece to a deal IMO

Archived