Thanks to John Angelos for speaking the truth!

mall-O-cup

You mean like when Peter forced Catholic Charities to move their soup kitchen from downtown? This is a highly political post. 5 people were shot last night in the city. I guess things are getting back to normal.

Angelos is the team owner. And I do not think he is in politics. I don't see the politics in it. SO I think he can talk about it like you can talk about whatever soup issue you are bringing up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean like when Peter forced Catholic Charities to move their soup kitchen from downtown? This is a highly political post. 5 people were shot last night in the city. I guess things are getting back to normal.

In fact, since the city is no longer burning, my stance on that is somewhat relaxed for the moment.

I have stopped watching the news. It isn't about reporting anymore, it is about making money. Both left leaning and right leaning "news sources" will say and do anything to make money. I don't trust anything "reported". Maybe I should move to Montana:)

You got that right. News is a joke. Everything is slanted. It's amazing how many people still watch it and believe the things they are told is an accurate representation. Confirmation bias is very powerful.

I saw this statement from John a few days ago. Very powerful and accurate portrayal of our climate. Impressive that someone in his position would speak so candidly. It's a shame that this isn't more of a topic for the news. This is the kind of dialogue that could lead to actual change.

I will give credit for Angelos for supporting the community by giving free tickets for reading books, supporting the symphony and law school etc. but my complaint is about the article.

I can go through his points one by one. He mentions manufacturing jobs moving to China. It seems to me most stadium give always are made in China. You want to make a change in this start buying American made goods. Also I have heard people cleaning up,stadium make very little money. How about making minimum wage at the stadium 20 dollars an hour?

I have stopped watching the news. It isn't about reporting anymore, it is about making money. Both left leaning and right leaning "news sources" will say and do anything to make money. I don't trust anything "reported". Maybe I should move to Montana:)

I hate it when something relatively big comes up and I really want just the facts, because I go hunting around the part of the DirecTV spectrum that I never otherwise go to and realize that all of the "news" channels are actually just opinion channels. Nobody seems to be actively courting the part of the market that just wants to see what's going on, instead of an endless parade of professional experts telling us what we should think. I end up on BBC America as much as anything, just because most of the time they have no active stake in what's going on in the US and aren't really pushing anything.

I hate it when something relatively big comes up and I really want just the facts, because I go hunting around the part of the DirecTV spectrum that I never otherwise go to and realize that all of the "news" channels are actually just opinion channels. Nobody seems to be actively courting the part of the market that just wants to see what's going on, instead of an endless parade of professional experts telling us what we should think. I end up on BBC America as much as anything, just because most of the time they have no active stake in what's going on in the US and aren't really pushing anything.

I thought WBAL TV did a pretty good job of doing live TV, without the theatrics and opinion pieces.

I thought WBAL TV did a pretty good job of doing live TV, without the theatrics and opinion pieces.

In SoMd I'm official part of the DC media market so I can't get Baltimore local channels on Directv. So, somehow, I can get many hundreds of stations that have market shares in the tens of people but I can't get WBAL. The regulations on what satellite TV can and can't show with regards to local broadcast stations are... well... puzzling. Kind of a backwards-but-still-nonsensical version of MLB blackout restrictions.

I do agree that local news is often less polarized and agenda-driven. I watch channel 4 news from DC, and it's quite good.

I do agree that local news is often less polarized and agenda-driven. I watch channel 4 news from DC, and it's quite good.
Less polarized maybe but still not exempt from agenda. They're not trying to fill 24-7, so there's less time for commentary.
Angelos is the team owner. And I do not think he is in politics. I don't see the politics in it. SO I think he can talk about it like you can talk about whatever soup issue you are bringing up.
WADR, it is political, and his father donated multiple millions to one political party along with all his laudable charitable works.
That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards.

This topic is inherently political. Discussion has been largely civil. Lets keep it that way.

In SoMd I'm official part of the DC media market so I can't get Baltimore local channels on Directv. So, somehow, I can get many hundreds of stations that have market shares in the tens of people but I can't get WBAL. The regulations on what satellite TV can and can't show with regards to local broadcast stations are... well... puzzling. Kind of a backwards-but-still-nonsensical version of MLB blackout restrictions.

Which is why I never went with Directv.

Living in between both markets. I find it beneficial to be able to hit which market I need to.

Surprisingly, by far the best national news outlet I've found at , you know, actually reporting the news, is Al Jazeera America.

You must be a joy at parties, and a pleasure to be around in general. Probably the most sought after person when you are at the water cooler at work, too.

I'm finding that Al Jazeera America is my go to for news lately.

Which is why I never went with Directv.

Living in between both markets. I find it beneficial to be able to hit which market I need to.

Living 1000 ft from where the cable monopoly will run me a cable without handing over my first born son, I really have no choice. But truthfully, I might go with Directv anyway. They have so much bandwidth they carry almost every conceivable channel that isn't subject to ridiculous regulation. They have more obscure soccer channels than even I can watch, like five or six NBCSports alternate feeds on Saturdays.

Archived