Playing in an empty stadium is a terrible decision

atomic

5 games.

Two of those six will be made up later next month in double header.

But, I agree, hopefully, something will be done.

Maybe 4 (?). Although it's a single gate for that day, I'd imagine they'd pay the workers double time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playing in an empty stadium has happened before in Egypt. After the Port Said soccer riots all league game were cancelled for two years. They played qualifiers for the Africa Cup of Nations I believe it was in an empty stadium, televised.

Somehow being compared to Egypt and Africa is hardly comforting.

No they don't. He was a DC attorney, one of the most highly respected in the world. He traveled in the highest circles of DC society. He wanted to bring a baseball team back to DC. He challenged Orioles fans to fill the seats. A group of business people called Designated Hitters was founded to sell season ticket plans. It worked. It wasn't until O's fans packed Memorial Stadium that EBW decided that they deserved the team. That is when he went to the state in search of money for a new park.

Why do you make up stuff like this? And you do it all the time. You attribute things to unnamed sources or say, "I remember reading somewhere..." It's not that difficult to be specific. Just look up things before you post on them. You can do it. Give it a try.

Nobody made anything up.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-03-29/news/1992089228_1_edward-bennett-williams-william-donald-schaefer-stadium

To be sure, Williams -- tough, gruff, a superstar lawyer and Washington power broker -- never actually threatened to take the club from Baltimore. He didn't have to. The thought lingered, unspoken. Even as fans set attendance records at Memorial Stadium, Williams complained that the ballpark was inadequate, unprofitable and badly located. He refused to sign a long-term lease. He kept up the pressure.

This kind of thing is common enough in soccer that it actually has a name: playing "behind closed doors." It's happened in such third world backwaters as the UK, Italy, and France.

I would venture a guess that soccer fans, on average, are much rowdier and harder to control than the average baseball fan. And the fact the fans had nothing to do with this one being played "behind closed doors".

If you think what you wrote and what you quoted are the same, good luck to you.

The headline in the Washington Star the day he bought the team said it all, "Here Come the Balti... Oops... Washington Orioles"

I would venture a guess that soccer fans, on average, are much rowdier and harder to control than the average baseball fan. And the fact the fans had nothing to do with this one being played "behind closed doors".

I think if you made a list of sports ordered by rowdiness of the fans baseball would be very low on the list, ahead of only a handful of sports like cricket, golf, tennis and curling. I doubt today's EPL or Serie A fans are as out-of-control as a typical football crowd in Morgantown.

Haven't been around here recently so forgive me if someone mentioned this...

I don't know that this has ever happened at the major league level; however, the Class-A Charleston Riverdogs ran a "Nobody Night" promotion in 2002 where they prohibited fans from entering the stadium. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2002-07-08-nobody-night.htm

They still have a television audience. I have a feeling ratings might be higher than normal today.

And while I would like to know why other stadiums weren't considered, I am not going to label it incompetence on the part of the Os. Especially without knowing how much input Manfred had. Besides, as everyone should remember from the Ravens Opening Day fiasco a few years ago, the White Sox have to approve any change of venue or time change. So perhaps the Os aren't as I competent as you would hope.

Man: I wanna see this game BAD on TV. At work and have a dr. apt at 3pm..booo!!!!

. . . "There are, though, other forces at work that complicated such a solution. The Nationals and the Orioles are embroiled in a legal dispute over revenues generated by the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, the regional sports network that is co-owned by the two teams and carries both their games. A Nationals spokeswoman said Monday that the club was never approached by the Orioles or MLB to serve as a host. Bader declined comment on whether the MASN issue played a role in the Orioles? decision-making."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/orioles-to-host-home-game-against-the-white-sox-in-an-empty-stadium/2015/04/28/b534ea48-ede6-11e4-8abc-d6aa3bad79dd_story.html

No surprise if that's true. It's one of our beloved owner's endearing personality traits: he doesn't just bear a grudge -- he nurtures, husbands, perpetuates, and deploys it.

Don't we deserve to know who decided to take these games out of the reach of Baltimore fans and give a division rival three extra home games?

No surprise if that's true. It's one of our beloved owner's endearing personality traits: he doesn't just bear a grudge -- he nurtures, husbands, perpetuates, and deploys it.

Don't we deserve to know who decided to take these games out of the reach of Baltimore fans and give a division rival three extra home games?

Deserve? Yes, all humans deserve total transparency into all processes that they're mad about. Life should be like Congress, where anyone with any grievance should be allowed to subpoena all involved parties and force them to testify on television.

Archived