Playing in an empty stadium is a terrible decision

atomic

No, everyone assumed he would move the team. The O's already had a clause in their lease that allowed them to play up to 13 games each season in RFK stadium. When Williams announced that he would not invoke that clause for the 1980 season, he made clear that it was a "trial season" for Baltimore baseball fans.

Orioles attendance went from 1,051,724 in 1978 (when Williams started negotiating to buy the team) to 1,681,009 in 1979 to 1,797,438 in 1980. After the 1980 season, Williams announced that the Orioles would not be leaving Baltimore.

Camden Yards was built because of EBW and Willie Don Schaefer. Moving the ballpark closer to I-95 brought in tons of fans from the D.C. market who previously stayed away because of the commute to 33rd street.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Camden Yards was built because of EBW and Willie Don Schaefer. Moving the ballpark closer to I-95 brought in tons of fans from the D.C. market who previously stayed away because of the commute to 33rd street.

After the Colts left, Schaefer was not going to take any chances.

Kurkijan with a lot of interesting points.

Said Buck said it will be difficult with a lot of the small chatter becoming audible.

MLB wants them to take notes on how this game goes just in case for future reference.

Said the Os had hoped to switch series with TB but MLB woulnt allow it.

Yeah, that aspect of it is pretty fascinating actually. The media will probably be able to hear some of the dialogue on the field. The players may be able to hear some of the calls made from the booth. Will the announcers still act as excited as they do when there's a crowd there, or will they be more muted? I thought very seriously about taking this afternoon off just to watch this.

I think that LISTENING to today's game will be more fascinating than watching it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Beatles "Day Tripper" playing over PA system at OPACY while White Sox take BP. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here you go

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwmtNk_Yb2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree with OP. I would like to think that the fans are part of the game, and if you don't have the fans you are changing the game.

Also, setting aside baseball (as J. P. Angelos said we should), I don't like the signal that it sends to the city. As much as I detest the Yankees, it was very powerful when they played after 9/11 and I would like for Baltimore to be able to experience that moment of coming together. Instead, the first game after the riot is going to be a reminder of Baltimore's dysfunction.

I would love to know how much of this decision came from MLB and other interests, and how much it came from the Orioles.

I'm going to say this as plainly as I can....if the Orioles played this game as a normal game and one, just ONE, fan got injured, it would be the end of the Orioles as we know it.

Some of you need to get over yourselves, realize that the Orioles and MLB were put in a no win situation, and are doing what they can. Yes, there were other options, and maybe we'll find out why they didn't choose them, but otherwise it is was it is.

Haven't we seen enough negativity the past week?

I would venture a guess that soccer fans, on average, are much rowdier and harder to control than the average baseball fan. And the fact the fans had nothing to do with this one being played "behind closed doors".

How can you be sure that a game at 2pm on a Wednesday wouldn't be a prime opportunity for the looters and trouble makers to strike in front of a live National audience?

Too many people are missing the big picture here....Baltimore is a crime scene ready to erupt right now. Inside or outside the stadium is not safe.

How can you be sure that a game at 2pm on a Wednesday wouldn't be a prime opportunity for the looters and trouble makers to strike in front of a live National audience?

Too many people are missing the big picture here....Baltimore is a crime scene ready to erupt right now. Inside or outside the stadium is not safe.

Damned you for making me go on the forum on my browser app to give you rep.

No surprise if that's true. It's one of our beloved owner's endearing personality traits: he doesn't just bear a grudge -- he nurtures, husbands, perpetuates, and deploys it.

Don't we deserve to know who decided to take these games out of the reach of Baltimore fans and give a division rival three extra home games?

Okay, so us fans with 13 game plans who had tickets for today should be forced to drive an hour south of where we normally go to the watch the games? That's fair? This is getting ridiculous. No decision would have made everyone happy, so just let it go. At least baseball is back.

World class athletes completely shut out the crowd noise to focus on the task at hand. All this hand wringing is insane. The games needed to be played. The two teams are already being screwed in a major way by the DH later this year. This is not that big of a deal. I can't believe people are losing their minds about it. It will still be on TV.

And you know this because A:) you are a world class athlete or B:) You hang out with a bunch of world class athletes?

LOL, Why does Harbaugh always exhort the crowd to get loud? Do you not think the decibels at Camden yards during last years playoffs was a little hard on the other teams?

I was talking to Drungo about different sports fan behaviors. I haven't said the fans should be allowed in today, in fact I said in another thread how dangerous it would be getting in and out of the stadium. I lived there for over 30 years so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about..

Archived