The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

Ryan Webb for the Indians has a 1.64 ERA in 11 IP. 64% GB rate. Looks like DD made a lot of mistakes concerning the Bullpen in the offseason so far. Keeping Matusz and Hunter at high arb numbers. Hamstringing the roster with a rule 5 guy early on. Having to attach a first rd pick in order to trade Webb. Where is W.Wright? Not being negative just really meant to point out the volatility of relievers year to year, and that DD whiffed so far.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan Webb for the Indians has a 1.64 ERA in 11 IP. 64% GB rate. Looks like DD made a lot of mistakes concerning the Bullpen in the offseason so far. Keeping Matusz and Hunter at high arb numbers. Hamstringing the roster with a rule 5 guy early on. Having to attach a first rd pick in order to trade Webb. Where is W.Wright? Not being negative just really meant to point out the volatility of relievers year to year, and that DD whiffed so far.

That is not true.

And yea, you are being negative. Go ahead and embrace it.

Can't dispute a lot of this, but I think that I would check back in on Ryan Webb at the ASB (if he's not on the DL).

Can't dispute a lot of this, but I think that I would check back in on Ryan Webb at the ASB (if he's not on the DL).

The problem with waiting to criticize is that the player may return to career norms. Or maybe the 3.83 ERA he had in 49 innings last year. Got to strike when the samples are small to make sure you get maximum anger.

The pitching will get better, and the hitting will likely go the other way (as it has been doing recently) in comparison to the rest of the league. But overall, the talent on the team is about average, and I don't see them competing without smoke and mirrors and a dab of black/orange magic - which is what I said in the offseason (sans the magic). I hope I'm wrong.

It's a curse I have of always being right. Most of you don't realize how lucky you are to usually go the other way.

Just saw someone gave me a negative rep for this post - and scolded me for it. Sheesh, and that was my best line. Guess I'll keep my day job.

Let's face it, the O's are a 500 team or very slightly above 500 the way they are currently configured .

You cant lose the talent we did in the offseason and expect this season to be like last year's.

It aint gonna happen .

Let's face it, the O's are a 500 team or very slightly above 500 the way they are currently configured .

You cant lose the talent we did in the offseason and expect this season to be like last year's.

It aint gonna happen .

This team is configured exactly the same way as last year when they won 96 games (and no, that doesn't automatically mean they'll repeat that this season). People can boohoo the non re-signings of Cruz and Markakis all they want but I will repeat:

Nelson Cruz has been worth 2.0 rWAR so far. Jimmy Paredes has been worth 1.3 rWAR so far. One makes like $14 million and the other makes the league minimum. They're both playing over their heads most likely, but I would venture to say that Cruz is playing far more over his head than Paredes.

Nick Markakis has been worth 0.2 rWAR so far. Travis Snider has been worth 0.6 rWAR so far.

Perhaps we haven't replaced Andrew Miller's production so far but you guys can piss and moan about us not paying a 40 inning reliever $10 million over four years all you want, I don't think you're going to get much support on that.

I don't think Duquette necesarily feels that way with the way he trades the comp picks. Besides, it's no slam dunk that the O's offering a QO to Chris Davis.

Since they changed the rules concerning picks for rentals the price for rentals has dropped. Odds are very good that you won't get more then supplemental first round value for a short term rental.

This team is configured exactly the same way as last year when they won 96 games (and no, that doesn't automatically mean they'll repeat that this season). People can boohoo the non re-signings of Cruz and Markakis all they want but I will repeat:

Nelson Cruz has been worth 2.0 rWAR so far. Jimmy Paredes has been worth 1.3 rWAR so far. One makes like $14 million and the other makes the league minimum. They're both playing over their heads most likely, but I would venture to say that Cruz is playing far more over his head than Paredes.

Nick Markakis has been worth 0.2 rWAR so far. Travis Snider has been worth 0.6 rWAR so far.

Perhaps we haven't replaced Andrew Miller's production so far but you guys can piss and moan about us not paying a 40 inning reliever $10 million over four years all you want, I don't think you're going to get much support on that.

Please man,those are hypothetical stats that mean absolutely nothing. If those guys you mention are on our team right now,we are in 1st place.

Please man,those are hypothetical stats that mean absolutely nothing. If those guys you mention are on our team right now,we are in 1st place.

Wait, what? So if you replace Paredes and Snider and maybe De Aza with Cruz and Markakis, and add Miller the O's would be like four or five wins better in two months? That seems to be a stretch, especially considering Paredes is hitting exceptionally well, and Snider is producing about as well as Markakis.

Since they changed the rules concerning picks for rentals the price for rentals has dropped. Odds are very good that you won't get more then supplemental first round value for a short term rental.

Unless you get Eduardo Rodriguez.

Archived