Losing year and the Effect on Buck

Davey

I am mentally preparing myself for our first losing year since 2011 although I am hopeful that we will eventually turn things around. As we all know so well, Buck guided the Yankees and Diamondbacks without ever having a losing year following a winning year. Both teams eventually won the World Series under different managers. In Texas, Buck had his first losing year following a winning year in 2005 when Texas went 79-83. 2006 was another losing year for Texas when they went 80-82. Buck was fired by the Rangers immediately following the 2006 season.

It?s a small sample size, but since Buck became our manager in mid season 2010, we have had a nice progression of winning years with the team seeming to improving over time. We never had a losing year following a winning year under Buck.

So I was just wondering? What would be the effect of a substantial losing year on Buck? And by effect I mean the effect on him personally as well as the reaction by Orioles ownership. Would it be a flashback to 2006 when he was fired? Would it be a huge psychological disappointment affecting the fans, players, and management? Would it put us into a rebuild mode with the apparent loss of future players like Chen, Davis, and Wieters?....all of the above?

Is it legitimate to even have questions like this so early in the season? I hope I look back at this post in July and August and can have a good laugh.

I am mentally preparing myself for our first losing year since 2011 although I am hopeful that we will eventually turn things around. As we all know so well, Buck guided the Yankees and Diamondbacks without ever having a losing year following a winning year. Both teams eventually won the World Series under different managers. In Texas, Buck had his first losing year following a winning year in 2005 when Texas went 79-83. 2006 was another losing year for Texas when they went 80-82. Buck was fired by the Rangers immediately following the 2006 season.

It?s a small sample size, but since Buck became our manager in mid season 2010, we have had a nice progression of winning years with the team seeming to improving over time. We never had a losing year following a winning year under Buck.

So I was just wondering? What would be the effect of a substantial losing year on Buck? And by effect I mean the effect on him personally as well as the reaction by Orioles ownership. Would it be a flashback to 2006 when he was fired? Would it be a huge psychological disappointment affecting the fans, players, and management? Would it put us into a ?rebuild? mode with the apparent loss of future players like Chen, Davis, and Wieters?....all of the above?

Is it legitimate to even have questions like this so early in the season? I hope I look back at this post in July and August and can have a good laugh.

The team was over .500 with Buck in 2010 and followed that up with a losing year in 2011.

As for his reaction, I expect a lot of quiet time in the corner spent in the fetal position with him clutching his binkie.

You got to be kidding me. The Orioles are not going to have a losing year. I would bet the farm on that.

I think they'll be over .500, but I'm not betting any farms on it. Too much can happen in a baseball season.

Buck didn't lose his focus, intensity and steadiness in 2011 and I wouldn't expect him to do so if 2015 was a losing season.

I think they'll be over .500, but I'm not betting any farms on it. Too much can happen in a baseball season.

Buck didn't lose his focus, intensity and steadiness in 2011 and I wouldn't expect him to do so if 2015 was a losing season.

I lost my farm, when I bet on the O's to win the WS last season. :)

I agree with you, Buck will stay focus and I think its more likely this team will bounce back, then not.

You know what' date=' I will put my farm up against anyone else's that we have a winning season. And tell you what, I'll throw in all the cattle on my farm as well.[/quote']

Throwing in the cattle too?!?!.. that's bold. ;)

You got to be kidding me. The Orioles are not going to have a losing year. I would bet the farm on that.

We went into the season projected as a .500 team. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if we ended up on the wrong side of .500 for the first time in the last few years.

The team was over .500 with Buck in 2010 and followed that up with a losing year in 2011.

As for his reaction, I expect a lot of quiet time in the corner spent in the fetal position with him clutching his binkie.

That'll be tough to watch.

Buck's contract runs through 2018. In Spring Training he talked about how important this year and next year's drafts are to replenishing the talent. From his end, it sounds to me that he's committed to the O's through his contract.

From the O's perspective, he just guided them to the 3 consecutive winning seasons. The last time the O's did that was 20 years ago.

My guess is that both sides are committed to each other through at least 2016 regardless of what happens this year.

Way too early to speculate on this, but I do think we're well enough into the season to say that our expectations for Pearce, Snyder, and DeAza were much higher than what these guys are delivering.

Pearce and DeAza yes. Snider seems to be doing his part. Though I guess disappointing in defense.

Pearce and DeAza yes. Snider seems to be doing his part. Though I guess disappointing in defense.

Yeah, stats wise he's doing okay, though he never gives me a warm and fuzzy when he comes up to hit. He almost has a fearful look on his face. Anyone know what I mean, or am I just seeing things?

Archived