• There probably was no "right" choice and absolutely no "absolutely right choice" I was on record wanting to choose Abrahms and my logic was simple, a 1:1 is a chance to pick a HOF type talent A college catcher was a safe pick and Adley is having a nice career but he is clearly not a MVP/HOF type player.
    • Agreed, Akin is pitching too well to be optioned until there’s no other choices. Tate should certainly be optioned before him. The only reason I could see Akin needing to be optioned is if BOTH Means and Irvin end up in the pen (with Bradish, Kremer and Suárez starting). That’s possibly the best 5 SP right now if they believe Suárez > Means/Irvin. In which case you really can’t have 5 lefty RP and only one RHP to go with Kimbrel and Cano. Otherwise, they should carry 4 lefty RP (with one of Means/Irvin as the long man) before optioning Akin. 
    • The answer to the question is obviously no. Now if the question was would Gunnar have been worthy #1 pick the answer seems obvious that he would have been.    But taking him where he went allowed the Orioles to maximize their draft which is what every team hopes to do.    You can argue whether Adley was the right pick but if Gunnar went first there is no way the two picks work as well for Baltimore. 
    • 1080i video is redrawn a half frame (field) at 60 times per second.  Progressive footage like 1080p is 30 whole frames per second but often converted to interlaced format for transmission. If you are doing this on an ongoing basis, here's a suggestion: download the free version of one of the numerous non-linear editors out there like Avid or DaVinci Resolve and throw the clip on a timeline for your measurement.  Manually clicking through hundreds of frames seems like it would be needlessly cumbersome not to mention slow.  
    • This. I don’t get the Akin going down talk (even though it seems more based off his option remaining than performance). Right now Akin is arguably our 4th most trusted reliever (can argue with Webb) based off his usage and his peripherals are clearly in the top 4 with Cano, Kimbrel, and Coulombe. He might not be a setup guy but he’s a solid piece to have in the middle innings.   Akin’s K-BB% is nearly double that of Baumann’s in both of their careers as relievers. He K’s more, walks less, and gets more chases and whiffs.   Keeping Baumann over Akin even for a week isn’t a move that winning teams make. Not to trash him, but Baumann is just not good, so who cares if he gets claimed? He’s not trusted at this point late in close games unless the bullpen is overused, so if you lose him and need a replacement later in the year you have Heasley, Charles, and Tate (if he gets optioned). Then you also have Wells who should be a bullpen guy when he comes back. Having the flexibility is good but keeping one of your worst relievers just because he doesn’t have an option doesn’t seem like a good way to solve a log jam. 
    • Witt had hit tool questions on draft day, and Abrams was much less of a sure thing than Adley. Based on information known at the time, we absolutely made the right choice with Adley.
  • Popular Contributors