The Cavalry Is Starting To Arrive

sfosfan

o

And Brian Matusz.

Really, the Cavalry was the "Big 3" of Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta. Britton was eventually added to that group.

And honestly for the grief that group has taken they turned out pretty well. Two TOR starters in Arrieta and Tillman, a very good closer in Britton, and an average LOOGY in Matusz. You really couldn't ask for much better than that.

It does stink that Arrieta finally put it together elsewhere, but he was out of rope here.

Some people also had Berken.Bergesen and Erbe.

My original "Big Ten" from 2009:

o

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were either highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and be live up to those expectations because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospect. And of course, sometimes they bomb out. :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion. :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

1. Brad Bergesen

2. Jason Berken

3. Chris Tillman

4. David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008). Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

5. Brandon Erbe

6. Chorye Spoone

7. Brian Matusz

8. Jake Arrieta

9. Zach Britton

10. Troy Patton

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122486-OFFNY-s-Original-Big-Ten-from-2009

I saw Zach Britton pitch on several occasions in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 2009, and I was VERY impressed.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Brian Matusz.

Really, the Cavalry was the "Big 3" of Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta. Britton was eventually added to that group.

And honestly for the grief that group has taken they turned out pretty well. Two TOR starters in Arrieta and Tillman, a very good closer in Britton, and an average LOOGY in Matusz. You really couldn't ask for much better than that.

It does stink that Arrieta finally put it together elsewhere, but he was out of rope here.

Everyone wants to join a hyped group with a good gimmick. Bergesen, Berken and others, are like the Calvary's Vincent, Sixx, and Buff Bagwell. Got lumped in with the originals to tarnish the whole thing. :wedge:

Everyone wants to join a hyped group with a good gimmick. Bergesen, Berken and others, are like the Calvary's Vincent, Sixx, and Buff Bagwell. Got lumped in with the originals to tarnish the whole thing. :wedge:

Wow. I'm not sure anyone else on this entire board will get that reference. But I did. :)

You mean you don't think Scott Norton raised the level of the nWo?

Here's an interesting chart showing how much each team uses the cutter. The O's are 27th, at 1.7%. The Cubs are first, at 14.0%. The median is at 5.5%. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=4&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=6,d

The Nationals also do not use it a lot. They also have one of the best pitching staffs in the majors.Max Scherzer has added a cutter but he only throws it five or six times a game.

Is it really a team thing or does it just depend on who your pitcher's are. I would think subtracting Jon Lester from the Cubs and putting him on any other team would change the team rankings on cutters quite a bit.

If the median is about 5%, nobody over 13.7% and a majority of pitchers don't throw a cutter at all you'd have to assume the addition or subtraction of one or two pitchers would radically change a team's rankings.

Is it really a team thing or does it just depend on who your pitcher's are. I would think subtracting Jon Lester from the Cubs and putting him on any other team would change the team rankings on cutters quite a bit.

I think with the Orioles it is a team philosophy.Not sure about the other teams.

In an interview with Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette on Wednesday at Camden Yards, Duquette made it clear he is not a fan of young pitchers throwing cut fastballs.

The Orioles have forbid their top pitching prospect, Dylan Bundy, from throwing his cutter this year and based on Duquette's comments yesterday, that policy may not be changing anytime soon.

"The philosophy of the organization is to encourage pitchers to develop a good delivery, command of their fastball, an off-speed pitch and a good breaking ball," Duquette said. "The first breaking ball that we work with our young pitchers on is a curveball. So that is basically the level of progression of our instruction and our organization philosophy.

"First of all, the cut fastball, we don't like it as a pitch, OK? And we don't like it for young pitchers because it takes away from the development of their curveball, which is a better pitch long-term and also, the velocity of their fastball. So we encourage development of an overhand breaking ball that has depth along with command of their fastball and, of course, velocity and movement will get the hitter out."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2012/08/dan-duquette-on-the-os-pitching-philosophy-we-dont-like-the-cutter.html

Archived