Montreal Wants a Team?

weams

Regarding expansion, would 50 additional major league roster spots be anything more than a negligible blip in terms of a dilution of the talent pool?

I'm not saying MLB should go hog wild and double in size, but I don't think two extra teams would really be all that noticeable in terms of talent.

For the record, though, I don' think MLB is currently mulling expansion. But as I said, there would be far worse things for MLB to consider at this point.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding expansion, would 50 additional major league roster spots be anything more than a negligible blip in terms of a dilution of the talent pool?

I'm not saying MLB should go hog wild and double in size, but I don't think two extra teams would really be all that noticeable in terms of talent.

For the record, though, I don' think MLB is currently mulling expansion. But as I said, there would be far worse things for MLB to consider at this point.

If a team goes to Connecticut, I am all in.

No it wouldn't. That's one or two guys per team who are now in AAA or Japan or Mexico or Cuba who would be in the majors. Undetectable.

Just shows how ridiculous it was for the MLB to encourage Montreal's move to DC. They didn't want baseball out of Montreal, they wanted it in DC to split the O's fan base.

If they go back to Montreal after all the whining about a lack of support, poor stadium, no fans, etc, then why were they mode in the first place?

Pardon me for being paranoid about our rivals wanting the MLB back in DC. We were at the top of the league regularly in attendance before DC came back. Now we have a limited fan base and more than half of our former local fan base gone.

MLB wanted to more fully take advantage of DC's wealth and a free $600M stadium they weren't going to get out of Montreal. I think it was pretty simple: Bud believed there was more available revenue for MLB with the current setup.

Also, the office of the Commissioner was created specifically to root out gambling from baseball, and the first Commissioner was a sitting federal judge (not a businessman), Kenesaw Mountain Landis. It was his task to deal with the Black Sox scandal, in which gamblers paid members of the Chicago White Sox to throw the 1919 World Series. That was when Joe Jackson and seven other members of the White Sox were banned from the game for life.

If you haven't seen the movie Eight Men Out, you'll find it informative and entertaining.

Actually, I am familiar with the black sox scandal. I was trying to say I didn't realize there were signs posted in ever locker room

Thanks

Archived